Consumer Reviews of WaterFurnace geothermal heat pumps

#12  of 13 brands of geothermal heat pumps

Read more about WaterFurnace geothermal heat pumps

Read reviews of other Geothermal Heat Pump brands

Date created: 2017-03-24 Name: Paul
Location: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

"Corroded soilder joints"
After installing the envision heat pump 4 years ago Waterfurnace's warranty coverage became very clear. After noticing a leak coming from the unit it was discovered the desuperheater was leaking at the socket fitting deep inside the cabinet. After contacting my installer to repair the issue it took water furnace 4 weeks to decide if they were going to cover the claim. After disassembly of the entire unit to repair the issue it was discovered several other fittings severely corroded some of which were not even in service (in floor heating loop) In summary the tech that assembled the unit did not clean the flux after soldering the joints and water furnace does not see this as a manufacturing defect. Same issue has been found in 3 other units of people we know. After waiting another 3 weeks Water furnace (wfi) declined the claim as they do not cover corrosion until it floods your home. Do not buy....as they do not stand behind their work to correct an issue. Thanks for the support after highlighting a qa issue that needs fixing. My next call will be my insurance company to highlight the risk of having one of these units in your home. On a good note...works okay if it's not rotting out.

Date created: 2017-03-13 Name: SL
Location: New Haven, CT

"My geothermal pump"
I have owned this unit for a few months now ever since I bought my home. The winter here get pretty brutal and due to some technical issues the central heating system was broken and couldn't be repaired for a huge amount of money so I started looking at alternative ways of heating my home. This does the job and does it while being environmentally friendly and that makes me feel good. The only thing I dislike about it is that it took longer to heat the house than my traditional heating did. I would buy the same brand again but I don't know if any of my friends would be into something like this.

Date created: 2017-01-27 Name: JAW
Location: Peoria, IL

I've owned this unit for almost 6 months. Our house is just under 3000 square feet. It was heated and cooled with two natural gas furnaces/air conditioners. The cost after rebates was a couple of thousand dollars more than just replacing with natural gas again. We have saved enough already to make up the difference in cost. Pros: Very even heat, hot water unlimited, air conditioning very good, costs less per month to operate. Fan runs all the time to even out the heat. It is variable speed reacting to need. Cons: We found that set back thermostats do not work very well. Set the temperature and leave it alone. In a sentence recovery time in the heating mode is very slow is comparison to natural gas. We have four vertical wells and cleaning up and redoing the backyard was the hardest part of this project. Absolutely no problems. We are very satisfied. Make sure to understand the system and find the very best installers. If specified correctly and done right it works very well. The well field is an asset in the future and the system should add to the value of your house. You may have to educate future buyers to point out the advantages and cost savings.

Date created: 2017-01-22 Name: MF
Location: Jackson Hole, WY

"Geothermal Heat is the best!"
Last spring we had our Synergy 3D geothermal pump and forced air unit installed in our new Jackson Hole home. What I noticed first this winter was how warm the house felt even through the coldest days. Instead of cold tile under my feet there was warmth. I would definitely recommend this product to my friends because it has been working great since it was installed. What I like most about the unit is that I have yet to find a spot in the house where it feels colder or warmer than the rest. Our old home was about 30 years old and the forced air heater and air conditioner that we had had a number of issues but mainly by going over to our synergy 3D unit we've been able to see a substantial savings in out heating bills. Now, our new home was constructed to energy star certifications with top of the line windows and doors and premium insulation and building materials but we've seen a almost one third reduction in heating bills with an increase of about 500 square feet in size. Anyway, I would suggest this unit to anyone based on what I've seen so far and I doubt that my opinion will change in the future unless something goes very wrong. Thank you for reading!

Date created: 2016-12-19 Name: SW
Location: Bloomfield,mKentucky

"Cheap and environmentally friendly"
We bought three months ago to replace our old system that came with our house. We were not familiar with these heat pumps before we bought our house and our old one wasn't very efficient. We bought and installed our new heat pump and just love it. We haven't had to fix or replace it but it comes with a good warranty if we run into problems. It runs very quietly, we have not used it to cool our house yet but with kids and pets, we are happy the refrigerant is environmentally friendly. We do not however rely on it for heating our water it doesn't do the best job at that but we have a separate water heater and don't rely on it anyways.

Date created: 2016-11-28 Name: TL
Location: Tooele, Ut

"six years, no problems"
We have had this unit for six years, and it is still working perfectly to heat and cool a 6,000 square foot house. It's plenty quiet, in a mechanical room right next to kid bedrooms but it never bothers them. I like that it has an efficient and more powerful setting, which came in handy when we had trouble getting air to the furthest upstairs room. Contractor changed a simple setting on the unit and all was good. In all that time it has stopped working only once. We googled the problem and it and it was a two minute job to pull out the drain pan and clear an obstruction. We've had the installers come back to check on it a couple of times just as routine maintenance but there haven't been any issues. We did have an incident with the ground loop once when a landscaper severed the hose while digging to install an in-ground holding tank. So we had to recharge the line, but this wasn't the fault of the heat pump obviously. I would buy this brand and model again, and am happy to recommend it.

Date created: 2016-10-31 Name: Greg
Location: Kitty Hawk, NC

"Bad compressors"
My Water Furnace works well when it works. The compressors used in these units are of a poor quality. I have had two compressors in 10 years. Water Furnace will not warranty the replacement compressor for the same time as the original. The replacement was installed after the original broke down during the warranty after 3 years. The replacement failed in 7 years apparently only days after the original warranty expired. Water Furnace takes the hard position this is just too bad for me. So now I am on the third compressor. The only bright spot is that the newest compressor did not come from Water Furnace, however my HVAC service man {who is great} had to adapt the third compressor to fit. Water Furnace was not even able to supply a replacement part for 6 weeks. I would not recommend Water Furnace products.

Date created: 2015-02-14 Name: Ben
Location: Rockford, MI

"WaterFurnace problems"
I have owned a WaterFurnace for 12 years. It has had ten repairs in the time I have owned it. Most repairs are due to the Freon leaking out. When the system is on back-up heat (like a big toaster) it's supposed to warn you (because it is crazy expensive) but that feature doesn't work either. I have had four different companies work on the system over the years. Longest stretch I had without a failure was about two years.

Date created: 2014-11-28 Name: R. Dudley
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

"Constant rotation of service providers"
This is our second geothermal unit installed in the same house in 19 years. The first was a ClimateMaster (sold as Carrier). Both units have had a plethora of maintenance issues. Worse still is the continual shell game of service providers. The installing company was bought out by another. The tech who installed the unit left for who knows where. Now we can't find a repair company that knows anything about the heat pump. The company which bought the original recommended we find someone else, as they aren't comfortable working on the units they install. The last repair company (recommended as "experts" in geothermal), just spent 2 hours working on unit and it is faulting more now then before they looked at it. I like the idea of geothermal. But after 19 years, it's just too expensive to try to save energy. We've probably averaged $500-$1,000 per year in repair costs. Not to mention time wasted, water leaks, and time spent in a cold house.

Date created: 2012-12-17 Name: ken miller
Location: burnsville nc

"Very bad"
Had a geo-thermal system installed in September 2010. I have had operational problems since day one. 1st contractor was so bad I secured another authorized one. He came once and said I was to far away. The third has tried many times to fix problems ($ 2,000 worth) and has giving up. I have been told it will take 2 new wells and new piping to the cost of $12,000. I have called and written Water furnace and was told that they have no control over their dealers and I am on my own. Getting bids on heat pump.