Consumer Reviews of WaterFurnace geothermal heat pumps

#12  of 15 brands of geothermal heat pumps

Read more about WaterFurnace geothermal heat pumps

Read reviews of other Geothermal Heat Pump brands

Date created: 2018-11-28 Name: Kevin Vane
Location: Seaford, DE

"Mechanical Breakdowns"
We have had a Water Furnace Geothermal system for 10 years. It breaks down every six months. My electric bill runs over 700 dollars a month. When it is not working I run electric space heaters., My electric bill dropped to 225 a month. Don't waste your time or money with geothermal. It's expensive, unreliable, and is no way energy efficient. It is not good for the environment either.

Date created: 2018-11-21 Name: JJ
Location: Austin, TX

"Geothermal Heat Pump"
It's been all it was advertised to be. I've kept meticulous records and the average monthly utility bill has been $175 (for a 5,000 sq. Ft home). That includes heating, air conditioning, hot water, lights and appliances. I've looked at other manufacturers and in the end, found they did not have the package WaterFurnace does. I'm a big fan of WaterFurnace.
Date created: 2018-09-29 Name: B Gendron
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

"Boring, but satisfied"
I am reviewing a WaterFurnace NSW050 water-to-water geothermal heat pump, configured to deliver heat or cooling with a desuperheater to preheat domestic hot water. I have a closed source loop with 167 feet of well depth per ton of heating/cooling. It is custom configured with an external controller for easier use. I had it installed 7 years ago to replace an oil burner and air-to-air a/c unit. The best word I can use to describe this unit is "boring." It does what it is supposed to do reliably and without fuss. My system requires no maintenance, and it is easy to switch between heating and cooling modes. The only problem I have to report is that the Intellistart burned out near the end of the warranty period. Moving one wire allowed it to work until the replacement part arrived. I replaced it myself at no cost. My only two complaints are minor: 1. The insulation surrounding the heat exchangers, out-gasses and irritates my respiratory system, but this is only a problem when I have the unit open. 2. (technical) There is only one freeze point detection setting, so I have to change it when I switch from heating to cooling and back. Otherwise, I could do it with the flip of a switch. Overall, I am extremely happy with the unit, and I highly recommend it.
Date created: 2018-09-11 Name: ACP
Location: Annapolis, MD

"Customer Service"
Bought a 5 Series geothermal system (trying to be a better environmental steward). System worked well for almost 10 yeas. Then we had a leak of the polyol ester (poe), and oil found in r410a refrigerants, into our domestic water supply, I.E. all the water piping in the house (proven by spectral analysis). Contacted WaterFurnace to help identify the problem, come up with a solution. Stone walled, denied this could happen, maybe could use the warranty or just a courtesy assist. Brick wall. Called to help with testing the house water after we replaced all the plumbing in the house to hopefully rid the system of the poe. Another denial that this could have happened, mind you we have chemical analysis proof! Highly recommend you use another company for your Geothermal needs.
Date created: 2018-07-17 Name: Bo Steinsvik
Location: Seattle. WA

"Nothing but problems"
We had a Waterfurnace installed in 2008. During the first four years, we traveled much and did not really use it. After we started living in the house and we used it more, there has been nothing but problems. We have likely spent over $10,000 in various repairs. Many of them came just after warranty. Overall, it's hard to find service and repair companies. In the Seattle area, there is only one, and pricing is thereafter. This repair company recommends to get a new unit, which they priced at $15,000 - $20,000 to install. I would never use this brand again. Poor service. Unit will fail. Hard to find service people when it stops working, which is typically mid winter or peak summer temps.
Date created: 2018-03-04 Name: Curt D.
Location: South Bend, IN

"Great technology"
I am very satisfied with my geothermal unit. It lowered our utility bills by about 50% and is extremely comfortable. I took the time to find a well qualified installer with great references. Many of the complaints I've heard about geothermal are due to improperly installed equipment - not the hardware. Most of the components in these systems are found in normal air conditioners and heat pumps. A++++
Date created: 2018-03-04 Name: Tom Niemkiewicz
Location: Michigan

"Grab your wallet and run"
Great sales pitch to buy but then winter comes. I see all the great reviews are from new owners... Wait just a few years. The only thing green is what it costs to run after is starts to break down and run on emergency heat! And good luck finding a repair person. My installer after the install became MIA! (Executive Heating) Waterfurnace recommended a second repair company who showed up to analyze then must have run off with the original installer. (Cappy Heating) Donít be fooled like I was to go with this System.
Date created: 2017-12-15 Name: Richard Simon
Location: Little Meadows, PA

"Repair problem"
I am no without heat for one month. 7 degrees in northeast Pennsylvania. The local repair folks have been great. The Waterfurnace central repair cannot figure out why it is not working after seven years of no problems. It is under warranty. There seems to be no urgency in replacing the system. Be sure this is not your only heating system
Date created: 2017-03-24 Name: Paul
Location: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

"Corroded soilder joints"
After installing the envision heat pump 4 years ago Waterfurnace's warranty coverage became very clear. After noticing a leak coming from the unit it was discovered the desuperheater was leaking at the socket fitting deep inside the cabinet. After contacting my installer to repair the issue it took water furnace 4 weeks to decide if they were going to cover the claim. After disassembly of the entire unit to repair the issue it was discovered several other fittings severely corroded some of which were not even in service (in floor heating loop) In summary the tech that assembled the unit did not clean the flux after soldering the joints and water furnace does not see this as a manufacturing defect. Same issue has been found in 3 other units of people we know. After waiting another 3 weeks Water furnace (wfi) declined the claim as they do not cover corrosion until it floods your home. Do not buy....as they do not stand behind their work to correct an issue. Thanks for the support after highlighting a qa issue that needs fixing. My next call will be my insurance company to highlight the risk of having one of these units in your home. On a good note...works okay if it's not rotting out.
Date created: 2017-03-13 Name: SL
Location: New Haven, CT

"My geothermal pump"
I have owned this unit for a few months now ever since I bought my home. The winter here get pretty brutal and due to some technical issues the central heating system was broken and couldn't be repaired for a huge amount of money so I started looking at alternative ways of heating my home. This does the job and does it while being environmentally friendly and that makes me feel good. The only thing I dislike about it is that it took longer to heat the house than my traditional heating did. I would buy the same brand again but I don't know if any of my friends would be into something like this.