Consumer Reviews of ClimateMaster geothermal heat pumps

#14  of 15 brands of geothermal heat pumps

Read more about ClimateMaster geothermal heat pumps

Read reviews of other Geothermal Heat Pump brands

Date created: 2019-07-09 Name: Jarrod Marshall
Location: Chillicothe, MO

"Never Carrier"
Worst HVAC on the market. I have had nothing but bad things from day one. Started freezing up and could not figure out why finally said the coil was bad. Circuit board next to go, then the blower motor went out. Replaced the compressor a few months ago and now we are pulling out the coil because of a leak tonight. For what I paid for this unit, it should not have every major component replaced in less than 10 years. Btw, when it froze up this last time, the water ran under the wall to the bathroom and ruined the walnut vanity. I am warning you, do not buy from this mfg!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2019-04-14 Name: steve hoselton
Location: Illinois

"Dont buy Climatemaster"
Don't buy a climatemaster. I installed 2 units, with 2 air handlers to be adequate for my whole house, upstairs on one, downstairs the other. They have never worked since install. The larger 3 ton unit works downstairs intermittently. The upstairs unit never has worked both heating and cooling. Climatemaster and two HVAC contractors have been out and can't fix it. Climatemaster has not offered any discount, warranty, or any assistance. I even said, yank it out and put in a larger one. No response. Buy WaterFurnace...my brother has had that without issue since install 15 years ago. Steve Hoselton, Lexington, il. Still staring at my upstairs unit not working...thank God I put furnaces in with geo/lp back-up! Fix this thing Climatemaster!!!!!
Date created: 2019-03-14 Name: Chris Chihrin
Location: Ontario Canada

"Class action lawsuit needed"
We have two Climate Master units. Water to water, and water to air. The water to water has burnt out lots of components in six years. Climate master warranty guy “Doug” blew off our repair guy. We have wasted thousands of dollars on repairs not to mention the original installation cost. We have had no furnace for months during one of the worst winters in memory. All the exact same problems as the people below. A class action lawsuit is needed cause Climate Master does give a F..K. The warranty covers parts but not the thousands of dollars in labour. And our hydro bills are as bad as our oil bills.
Date created: 2019-02-17 Name: Mark Tomlinson
Location: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

"Excellent Equipment"
My 4 ton Tranquility 27 unit has run flawlessly for 10 1/2 years and has paid for itself now. It runs on its 1st stage only, for 95 % of its on time, even last night with outside temp at -- 24 c (--12 f). The closed loop is buried 5 feet down, and the water is currently entering the unit at 34 F. I also have the electric backup heater disabled, and never need it. My total yearly electricity costs for the whole house are under c$ 2500, including the electric stove, electric clothes drier and electric water heater. Our kw-hr rate is between $ 0.065 and $0.13.2 depending on the time of day. I love my ClimateMaster system!
Date created: 2019-02-04 Name: GEORGE SHEFFIELD
Location: BLACKSTONE, Va

"Pisspore Equipment"
Installed Climate Master tranquility 27 geo system in 2012--very expensive install--sorriest equipment I have ever seen--nothing but problems since day 1 and absolutely no help from Climate Master--electric bill much higher since system installed--still using between 700 to 1,000 gal gas annually with the backup furnace (this is in Virginia which is not an extremely cold state)--written several emails to climate master customer service and have never received a reply--do yourself a favor and don't ever use any of their equipment--you will be wasting your money-- the HVAC company who installed the system does not sell climate master equipment anymore--that should say all you need to know-- I would love to sue them for such sorry system and service, but the cost is prohibitive
Date created: 2019-01-05 Name: KEB
Location: Lititz, PA

"Decent product, but poor engineering so use a top-notch dealer with a service contract"
The quick summary is that the product is reasonable, but you want a very good service contract. As to the details, within several months after our Tranquility 21 was installed, it failed. The original installer worked over a day to change a great deal of parts, but we were not actually charged for anything. After that, it has been working for over 10 years, except for when the basement flooded. Obviously, the flooding is not the problem of Climate Master, but it did expose a good deal of poor engineering. First off all of the electronics are in the very bottom of the unit, so if the basement floods it is likely destroyed, which for us was a $900 bill. It also makes it excessively inconvenient for technicians to work on the unit. Second, in my opinion the overall electrical layout is terrible. Multiple circuit boards, masses of wires, quirky sheet metal, hidden wires and transformers, huge dangling capacitors, plus as we have found now many revisions of the circuit boards. I am an electrical engineer, and I would have been just about fired for creating such a mess, for sure ridiculed. In my opinion this reflects very poorly on the overall culture of the company and the quality of the engineers, and the bottom line it makes it more likely to incur defects and big repair bills. I also bought the hot water generator (and paid $600 for a second water tank), but the local authorized dealer gave up trying to get it to work. Climate Master is still quite popular in our area of Pennsylvania, although I will do much looking at other brands if I ever have to replace the unit, which given a typical 20-year life, will probably be in the next 5 to 10 years.
Date created: 2018-11-07 Name: Don MacDonell
Location: Fonthill, Ontario

"Choosing Installer"
When I decided to go Geothermal in 2008, I requested presentations from 3 dealer/installers. I had acquired enough knowledge beforehand to ask some pertinent questions. The ability of those dealers to answer my questions adequately in terms that made sense, plus the details, including costs of their proposals, which I questioned, made my decision quite simple. I got a great installation with one screw up that was fixed a few weeks later, and which was understandable. The routing of heated water to my hot water tank was not done properly. In the last 10 years, I have spent about $1,500 on maintenance. I learned to turn off the breakers for the electric backup and only turn them on if the temperature fell below -15c and the Tranquillity 27 started to struggle. That saved a lot of money. All I have to say is that if you get a good installer/dealer in the first place, you should not have problems. You need to really vet this company and get 3 references and call them. I did.
Date created: 2018-10-24 Name: LEROY C MUTH
Location: Missouri

"Nothing but problems"
I have had this unit for 5 years, and it has broken down every year, about twice a year, and cost me about $850 every time, at least. Had every problem you can think of; cpu needed replacement, coils needed replacement, several other parts had to be replaced more than once. Not worth the money for sure. Cost me almost 50% of what I paid for it. Every time they come to fix it, the furnace only works for less than 6 to 9 months. Whenever you go from heating to cooling, or the other way around, if it breaks down and another $800 minimum out of my pocket for a very high cost furnace that is nothing but a piece of crap. I asked them to replace the complete furnace, but no results yet. Here it is again, going from summer to winter and it just failed again, 10-24-2018.
Date created: 2018-10-24 Name: E Howe
Location: Indiana

"POS"
I have had a ClimateMaster for 15 years. I have spent more on my hvac than my child's first year at college. I have had issues with the controllers, capacitor, compressor, and coil. Today, I'm getting a new furnace. Bye, bye ClimateDisaster.
Date created: 2018-10-04 Name: J. Saunders
Location: Exeter, NH

"Terrible product"
We had geothermal installed 3 years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The electric bills run higher than promised. The latest problem is a compressor that failed. The good news is, it is under warranty. The bad news is, that ClimateMaster will not pay the service company the full amount to replace the compressor. That's right - for an item under warranty, I am being told that it will cost me $450 in labor! Crap product, crap service and crap warranty.