Consumer Reviews of ClimateMaster geothermal heat pumps

#12  of 13 brands of geothermal heat pumps

Read more about ClimateMaster geothermal heat pumps

Read reviews of other Geothermal Heat Pump brands

Date created: 2018-11-07 Name: Don MacDonell
Location: Fonthill, Ontario

"Choosing Installer"
When I decided to go Geothermal in 2008, I requested presentations from 3 dealer/installers. I had acquired enough knowledge beforehand to ask some pertinent questions. The ability of those dealers to answer my questions adequately in terms that made sense, plus the details, including costs of their proposals, which I questioned, made my decision quite simple. I got a great installation with one screw up that was fixed a few weeks later, and which was understandable. The routing of heated water to my hot water tank was not done properly. In the last 10 years, I have spent about $1,500 on maintenance. I learned to turn off the breakers for the electric backup and only turn them on if the temperature fell below -15c and the Tranquillity 27 started to struggle. That saved a lot of money. All I have to say is that if you get a good installer/dealer in the first place, you should not have problems. You need to really vet this company and get 3 references and call them. I did.

Date created: 2018-10-24 Name: LEROY C MUTH
Location: Missouri

"Nothing but problems"
I have had this unit for 5 years, and it has broken down every year, about twice a year, and cost me about $850 every time, at least. Had every problem you can think of; cpu needed replacement, coils needed replacement, several other parts had to be replaced more than once. Not worth the money for sure. Cost me almost 50% of what I paid for it. Every time they come to fix it, the furnace only works for less than 6 to 9 months. Whenever you go from heating to cooling, or the other way around, if it breaks down and another $800 minimum out of my pocket for a very high cost furnace that is nothing but a piece of crap. I asked them to replace the complete furnace, but no results yet. Here it is again, going from summer to winter and it just failed again, 10-24-2018.
Date created: 2018-10-24 Name: E Howe
Location: Indiana

"POS"
I have had a ClimateMaster for 15 years. I have spent more on my hvac than my child's first year at college. I have had issues with the controllers, capacitor, compressor, and coil. Today, I'm getting a new furnace. Bye, bye ClimateDisaster.
Date created: 2018-10-04 Name: J. Saunders
Location: Exeter, NH

"Terrible product"
We had geothermal installed 3 years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The electric bills run higher than promised. The latest problem is a compressor that failed. The good news is, it is under warranty. The bad news is, that ClimateMaster will not pay the service company the full amount to replace the compressor. That's right - for an item under warranty, I am being told that it will cost me $450 in labor! Crap product, crap service and crap warranty.
Date created: 2018-07-11 Name: L. Fulton
Location: Texas

"Piece of Fecal Matter In Our Opinion"
The system has had the board, coils, etc. replaced. We added an extra loop for heat exchange. The system will not cool well and breaks if you blink. ClimateMaster is the biggest lemon I have ever purchased. It is wrong for us, and I imagine that it is wrong for many of you after reading the other reviews. Note: the above reflects our experience and opinions. Others may be different.
Date created: 2018-05-15 Name: Matt Ferdock
Location: Pennsylvania

"Piece of Junk"
We installed this system almost 5 years' ago, and every season since we have had major problems with it. As someone else wrote, nearly every component has been changed. The original installer no longer installs geothermal because they really screwed the pooch with this install and decided to stop offering the service before someone decides to sue them. We use an in-ground water to water loop set up. We gave up several winters ago trying to heat our house with geo. The system just could not keep up with the cold here is arctic-like south eastern Pennsylvania! We installed a propane boiler which works great. Now that the weather is heating up, the system blows only warm air. So it's down again! We are done with ClimateMaster!
Date created: 2018-03-16 Name: JW
Location: Ohio

"Complete Junk"
A new Trilogy unit in new construction. It has been broken more than it has worked. Virtually all parts have been replaced. The units are advertised as quite but they are very noisy. Fortunately the back up electric heat works, because you will need it both when the unit is not working and when you can no longer stand the noise the compressor makes. The electric bills (not including electric heat) are 5 times that which was advertised. If the house gets too warm, don't switch to cool mode or it will break. What kind of design is this? They really are a scam and should be put out of business.
Date created: 2018-03-10 Name: Sam
Location: Ohio

"Total scam"
I moved into new construction and have had nothing but trouble. Almost everything in the unit had to be replaced and it is still broken more often than not. You will need to use the emergency electric heat often. Even when using the ground source heat pump, the electricity costs are 10 times what was advertised. ($450/Month and more). The technical representative admitted they have some design issues. In these "geothermal units" the compressor is inside your house which no one mentions. The vibration noise is hard to eliminate and very annoying. If you get one, plan on spending lots of money and time dealing with your service company. If you can not get a standard gas furnace and ac, at least get a standard heat pump with the compressor outside. You will never be happy with climate master. Maybe water furnace is better but I doubt it. I just know that you want to stay far away from climate master.
Date created: 2018-02-21 Name: Tim
Location: Dubuque, IA

I have had my geo unit ten years and had to replace the compressor three times already. Numerous other service calls for a system that cost three times a normal heating and air conditioning unit I would not recommend there was no cost savings. I would estimate it cost me an additional $25,000. Don't buy!
Date created: 2018-02-01 Name: Johnny Walker
Location: Philadelphia, PA

After spending over 30k on a whole house Geothermal unit (New Construction) I can say that of the two units one will fail every season change Climate Master is junk, 8 years old Both units have had coils replaced twice for leaking Downstairs unit has had the board replaced also Most of the hardware has been covered but not the labor, or the time required to be here for service I cannot say enough bad things about this system Does anyone know how to actually fix it? On my 3rd company now!