Consumer Reviews of York furnaces

Read more about York furnaces

Date created: 2014-02-26 Name: Mike O'Donnell
Location: Fox Creek AB Canada

"Very noisy fan"
I had my Affinity 9.m installed 5 years ago. Right from the start the fan made a lot of noise on start up. Once the fan motor goes to a higher speed (it has 5 speeds) the fan makes less noise but is never quiet. In the first few months the installer replaced the motor twice, and the whole electronic and fan assembly once. The noise still continued. The York rep in Edmonton says that the fan noise is caused by a fried diode on the motor low speed which he blames on my house having "dirty power", though a check by the power company found no issues. I would NEVER buy another York furnace, I wish I still had my old "quiet" Lennox.

Date created: 2014-02-04 Name: Steve W.
Location: Bear, Delaware

"Don't choose York"
Just had the pressure switch replaced on my unit last Wednesday. (I always have a spare!) This is the second time in three years. The house is only 6 years old. The compressor fan blade had to be replaced over the summer, too. That took three tries before a balanced blade was shipped from York. Never again!!!

Date created: 2014-01-27 Name: Matt Robinon
Location: Ontario

I have the same switch problem once a month for the last two winters. Don't buy a York. Garbage on all levels.

Date created: 2014-01-16 Name: John Wilson
Location: Henrico VA

"Unnecessary complete assembly replacement"
The York Affinity 9.t Series is a natural gas furnace that is relatively efficient and has worked well for us. However, the squirrel cage inducer blower wheel has broken twice in the last five years. This is about a $20 part; however, the service company, Delta Temp, claims that they cannot just replace the wheel but are required to replace the entire inducer assembly which costs $440. The resulting bill of $705 seems excessive to replace a one small part. If the York company policy is to require complete assembly replacement even when only a single part is defective, then potential York customers should be aware that repairs could cost more than necessary. Unfortunately, during the winter one does not have the option to shop around for parts while the furnace is down. -John Wilson in Henrico, Virginia.

Date created: 2013-12-05 Name: Molly
Location: Upstate, NY

"York Diamond Horrific Piece of Junk"
We've had this furnace now for 5 miserable years. It has two stages: Sweat and Freeze. It runs too long and waits too long before it kicks on again. This piece of junk sounds like a train is running through the house when it kicks on. The blower on this bundle of joy failed on Week Two during Season One. The dealer broke a switch installing the new one, said it wasn't important, placed a piece of tape over the hole where the switch was and never returned to replace it with a new one. Also, when they installed this piece of crap, they left a 3/4" opening to the outside along the perimeter of the pipe that loudly and often blows steam outside my kitchen window. I had to pay someone to insulate around the opening, through which I could see daylight while every rodent in the county tried to lay claim to my basement. The vent on this so-called furnace is also not sufficient enough to throw any decent heat into the basement area where it is installed. The furnace broke down in years One, Two and Three. One of those years we had to put up with the thing blowing cold air. We had what I can only call a miraculous reprieve on Year 4, when we only had to suffer the usual discomfort of the Two Stages known as Sweat and Freeze. It hasn't broken down this year yet. But then it's only December. It also appears that no one can get parts for this piece of junk except, of course a York dealer, who can charge whatever he wants to come out and tell you that your crappy furnace is really great and you should appreciate it. I hate my furnace with every fiber of my being and we haven't had a comfortable winter day in this home since the day we were conned into installing this princely-priced junk heap. I am currently arranging to have it yanked from my home and placed into a friend's rental property so that I can install a real furnace into my home and be comfortable again. I may not know diddly about furnaces, but I know when I've got one that's not doing the job. The 30 year-old furnace this shambles replaced? I would give anything to have it back. It did everything this York doesn't do. Like, for example, you know, heat our home properly.

Date created: 2013-10-29 Name: M E Gomez
Location: Fremont, Ca

"Nearly 20 Years"
For the second time in a year, I have had to contact a company to work on my York. I have no clue what model or series it is, but it has worked fine till last year that started acting up. Nearly 20 years it has provided flawless heating to my house. It is in the attic and never had any duct cleaned, I do the filter, that it is. I'm about to replace it and most likely will be another York. I'm a very happy customer with the York product. I am not in any form or shape affiliated nor do I a get a break for writing this review.

Date created: 2013-10-28 Name: D. Maychszak
Location: Elgin, IL

"Igniters"
Although I am quite happy with my furnace, the igniters stink. They go out every year and are very difficult to obtain. HVAC suppliers do not want to sell to the homeowner who may be savvy enough to do their own installation. I did find a place online that sells high quality 3-year igniters - www.ignitersource.com - with whom I've been very satisfied. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.

Date created: 2013-10-21 Name: Sandra B.
Location: Toronto Canada

"It worked up to the end"
We bought a house with its original york furnace and it's already 25year old. We are going to replace it with another York furnace. All brands have good and bad points -- it's a matter of who installs it and as a homeowner how you care for your furnace.

Date created: 2013-05-30 Name: Aaron
Location: central, WI

"Very Satisfied"
As I read through all of these reviews and here all of the problems people have had with their York equipment, I can't help myself from wanting to contact each dissatisfied consumer. Most of the problems I read about people having to go back to the installer or service contractor. I am the service manager for the top selling York dealer in Central Wisconsin. I have sold other brands of equipment and service all brands. All HVAC manufacturers have some issues with equipment at some point in their history. Some choose to address the problem, some don't. York stands behind their equipment more than any other company I have ever dealt with. We have very few problems with the York equipment we install. The top complaints on here are pressure switches and blowers. Switches very seldom fail, it's often diagnosed as a switch but 90% of the time it's a simple problem that was overlooked. Blower failure is usually caused by bad ductwork, closed or blocked registers, most commonly a dirty air filter. Most manufacturers use the exact same motor. All I can say is choose a reputable company, not the cheapest one and not always the most expensive one. If they know what they are doing from the start, you will have a care free heating or cooling season. Hire someone you can trust not to rip you off with cleanings and repairs, no matter what the brand is and you will be left feeling comfort with your system.

Date created: 2013-04-24 Name: Todd pierson
Location: Andover, Kansas

"Your installer sucked"
My York furnace has worked flawlessly every single day I've had it, approximately 8 yrs so far. No issue at all. My utility bills are the lowest I've ever had, even though it's the largest house I've owned so far. I canít imagine what went wrong with some of the peoples systems. I've seen reviews on here. Have a reputable installer to do the work, and you'll be very happy with York. I am in no way affiliated with York at all. In fact, I hadn't even heard of York, I don't even believe on it until I bought this house. I think there is a lot of slamming here by people with vested interests for other companies. Just my thought.