Consumer Reviews of York furnaces

Read more about York furnaces

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: outafewbucks
Location: Chicago, IL

"Defective Inducer"
Replaced an older inefficient furnace in 2007 with a York and have been happy with the cost efficiency of it with lower heating bills. It's louder than the old one, but heats and cools the house better. Lost heat in the coldest days of 2010 and found the inducer has a bad design. Part covered under warranty (labor isn't), but find it unethical that all furnace companies know about defects in their models yet don't notify customers. They make more money from allowing their products to run out of warranty and charge the customers.

Date created: 2010-11-17 Name: CNS
Location: Ontario Canada

" Contractor Set up"
I have a York furnace, it's my second. The present is a two stage 96%. As a contractor York admits they have had some quality control problems with some product, namely sticking pressure switches, vacuum hoses routed to wrong positions in manufacture and burner box assembly issues. York has adressed these and corrections have been made. On the whole the product is good. I have not yet had any major issues with either of my furnaces. I clean it annually including the flame sensor. The comments about selecting a contractor are very important, particularly, does the contractor set the furnace up properly? The York 2 stage and Modulating unitd have pins on the control board that can be switched in order to adjust fan delay and air flow during heating and cooling. These can be tailored to specific needs, (Size of AC, ductwork etc.) Most installers leave the pins in the factory default setting which is high. The second important thing do is adjust the pressure on the gas valve according to manufacturers specifications. Improper gas valve pressure can increase burner noise significantly and possibly create a booming sound on start up. A manometer and licenced technician is required. Set up correctly these furnace are a s quiet as any. Installed properly they are as reliable as anything in the industry.

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: David W.
Location: Toronto, ON

"Mr."
I just got a new York furnace, in around a week, the ignite is broken. Even worse, there's gas smell and the technician said it's normal when the furnace stops. Can someone tell me whether it's normal or not to have the gas smell beside the furnace? thanks,

Date created: 2010-11-02 Name: Craig Anthony
Location: Columbus, OH

"Highly Impressed"
Recently purchased a new York modulating furnace, came highly recommended from the local contractor who said it was the best furnace currently available on the market. Replaced an old in-efficient Trane furnace that was less than 10-years old and had multiple failures. Unit is much quieter and efficient, bills are substantially lower, should pay for itself in a few years. Furnace also qualified for Federal Tax Credit of $1500.

Date created: 2010-10-18 Name: Tom
Location: Milwaukee

"I Worked There"
Believe me when I tell you it is complete junk.All my old customers have nothing but warranty issues that the factory never honors. The Micro Channel Condensers leak all over the place and cannot be repaired but have to replace the whole coil.So how would you like to buy a new car only to have the motor go out after 300 miles, and they tell you that you have to replace the whole motor .I think most people would not go for that not even the people at York.They would want a new Car. The other furnace companies out there Carrier,Rheem ,Lennox dont have these problems.So do yourself a favor and dont buy a York

Date created: 2010-10-17 Name: C. Crawford
Location: Penticton, BC

"97.5 % Affinity Series"
I too did research on Furnaces and came to the conclusion they all have issues. I choose by contractor, rather than brand and choose a contractor that had been in the business with a good rating for over 20 years. Based on everything I have read, I am thankfull I did. Thus far my York has been great. I was worried it would not heat as well as my old Lennox furnace but it has very even heat and if you want to be very warm you can be. Its a bit noisy when it ramps up, but boy does it push out the warm air and that is exactly what I want my furnace to do when I am cold!

Date created: 2010-10-15 Name: Oliverson
Location: Layton, UTah

"Bad"
I just purchased a York. It sounds like a jet is in my basement. I am just sick about this. I am calling then on Monday. They cam come and get it. $4000.00 dollars and I can hear it out side and it's in the basement.

Date created: 2010-10-14 Name: Jon R
Location: North Carolina

"Efficient, qiet, and no more cold rooms"
I had my 14 year old Trane furnace replaced for a more efficient York furnace last year. I chose York after a family friend reccomended it. It lowered my gas bills by at least 40%, add that up over 10 years and it should pay for itself. That is my thought anyway. I paid extra for the 10 year labor warranty, but so far have not needed it. Would highly reccomend

Date created: 2010-10-13 Name: Brad Johnson
Location: Port Moody B.C

"Installation"
As an installer myself. I blame the home owner and the contractor. Problems stated on this site are the result of bad choices by the contractor. The other half is the home owner. Check references, certificates etc. Just because a the company has all credits does the person installing the equipment have them? Ask find out. Do some homework. It's ok to ask to see license, certificates, gas number etc. It's your right. By protecting yourself this will put pressure on the non reputable companies to get training or close shop. Either way we will all win.

Date created: 2010-08-24 Name: R. Buchanan
Location: Idaho

"New York System"
Just installed a new 97%+ York Furnace with 14.5 SEER AC unit. Unit works great and hope to have years of great service from it. Too early to tell about heating as it is still summer weather. Is sized right for our home and was installed by excellent contractor so confident it will perform to highest standards.