Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN furnaces

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN furnaces

Date created: 2009-03-25 Name: WEIL-MCLAIN

"Weil-McLain"
I bought a house four years ago with a 30 year old wm boiler in it. I was worried that I'll have to replace it soon after I move in. But it is still working like a champ. I am now preparing to replace my burnham unit with a wm in my other unit but something in the reviews here is concerning me. Based on the reviews here it appears that most of the older wm units are running well with minimal complains where as the newer units have a lot of complains. Now I have to think hard before I go with wm because of what I read here!

Date created: 2009-02-25 Name: Vance Fritz
Location: Thornton, Pennsylvania

"Never buy a weil-mcclain boiler"
I purchased brand new 468 model in 1997. It cracked in lower section in 3yrs. Area rep said they will replace it, it was a defect. Year 2000 they had a boiler delivered, I had to pay a plumber for all costs to install boiler. Jan. 2009, 8yrs later new boiler cracks again in front r/s section behind door hinge, I called my oil co. technician out to service and check it out, he said it was a factory defect. He said he had another one crack in the same area about a month ago. So they contacted Weil-Mcclain rep and he said that they will just replace front section. So I called Weil-Mcclain attn: Ed Saunders, Bill Price=mgr,@mid-atlantic area they did not want to accomodate me in any way at all. They asked me for the cp serial no. and they checked it out and then told me that the boiler was a 1995 unit. So in year 2000 when they replaced it they put in a older model than I originally purchased in 1997??? So in year 2000 they screwed me then and now they want me to go and purchase a new Weil-Mcclain unit at my expense and pay a plumber to take out the cracked unit and reinstall new unit, if they give me a new one from 2008?? Or will they give me another 5 year old unit??? And then they will take back and analyse it and pro-rate it. I repeat they will pro-rate it. hmm- mm, let me see, 2-cracked units. Should I try another unit, sooner or later a squirrel finds a nut.

Date created: 2009-02-17 Name: Bob Kloiber
Location: Tolland, CT

"Weil-McClain Gold series oil furnace"
Furnace started to leak water after 12 years. Compartment seals gave out. I now have to replace. I went to the website and could not find out what the warranty was. They should have a contact number to call. No help. Poor website and one would think this furnace would last longer than 12 years. Model# p-wtgo-3 Serial # 2 cp 3174024

Date created: 2009-02-10 Name: Rollin J. Shaw
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana

"WEIL-MCLAIN CAST IRON BOILER GREAT !"
I bought this place over 30 years ago and the Boiler was in the building when I bought it. Even though the former tenant worried about the boiling and had installed a electric furnace and air Conditioner in the attic. Earlier this year there was a local contest to find the oldest still working Furnace in town. I called Wiel-McCain and found my model boiler was well over 50 years old. Well here it is 2009 and the old Boiler is still puffing away .... in 30 years only replaced the Pump ..... I am sure it is not as efficent as the new one's but reading the Review seem the New Boilers are full of problems .... Even though I had planned to replace it this year ... think I will wait. What was the old saying "if it's not Broke don't fix it". Oh did not win contest an Old Coal fire Octopus won

Date created: 2008-12-07 Name: S. Chapster
Location: New York City, NY

"Weil McLain Furnace"
Weil McLain 12 years old when we bought our home our contractor choose our furnace - over the years, we have had many a cold couple of days when it abruptly quit on us- no warning signs and usually because the pilot light went out (And, it's enclosed in a non-drafty basement). Twice we've had to replace the on/off knob for the pilot light ignition because it melted. Today it happened again...

Date created: 2008-11-14 Name: Marjorie Bavaro
Location: Massachusetts

"Nightmare"
A WEIL-McClain furnace was installed in my house 8 years ago when I moved in. It ran fine the first two or three years. After that all I've had is problems. For the past 5 years I have had to call repair people out about 6 or 7 times every winter and while they can get it going they usually cant't figure out why it stopped working. I've had to have numerous parts replaced on it especially the roll out switch which has been replace three times already. I've dumped a couple thousand into it just to keep it working and no surprise it just gave out again yesterday. Unless I want to go through this nightmare every winter I have no choice but to buy a new furnace. I will never buy anything from this company again. Is there any company out there makes a reliable furnace? One that doesn't just stop working for no reason?

Date created: 2008-03-27 Name: Barbara J. Torrens
Location: Pennsylvania

The first few years were fine, but now I never know when I will wake up with no heat in the winter months, this is gas heater. I have had numerous mechanics and each time the same problem exists. The thermocoupler has burnt out. Cheap to replace, but the inconvenience is awful. I have attempted to replace the thermocoupler in the fall before heating season, but I have to replace it other months as well. This is my only problem with the unit.

Date created: 2008-02-11 Name: Vince Rizzo
Location: Scranton, PA

The Furnace worked well for the first 6 years but then began to fail. I agree with others that the electronic controls seem to be the problem. We have replaced the Honeywell unit twice. But here is the problem, for the past three years the furnace cuts out at night and doesnot fire. We have spent over $16,000 with local contractors and W-M reps on the case and it has not been resolved.