Consumer Reviews of WEATHERKING furnaces

Read more about WEATHERKING furnaces

Date created: 2008-12-25 Name: Greg Menard
Location: Atlanta, GA

"That was Quick"
We have two (2) Weather King 10pjb36a01 units . We built a new home 3 years ago , installed these units on the trust of a very close hvac friend . The compressor is shot on one of the units , and for some reason our electricity bill is $ 500.00 - $ 600.00 a month . These units run constantly ,very noisy and are dying .They are being replaced , new units have been ordered . The bright side to this story is the hvac company is owned by a deacon at the church we attend , so getting rheemed is out of the question . Poor fella may have to eat the units , saying he cannot find new ones . Steer clear of these units , will eat up the electricity and die quickly . Being any other hvac company ,I am sure this would be a night mare . Greg

Date created: 2008-12-20 Name: Anne
Location: Toledo, Ohio

"Anne"
We have lived in our house for 11 years and the furnace was here when we moved in. Never had a problem till last year. Had to have it cleaned and again this year had to have it cleaned. We do have dogs and cats and I am sure that was the problem. Last month blue flame came and serviced it and a month later when the blower comes on it squeaks. My question is can you oil the blower motor and if so how to do it. I called blue flame and they told me it would cost $400 to repair. I just paid them $288. to clean the furnace last month. Please help.

Date created: 2008-11-19 Name: John F. Regan
Location: St. Charles, IL

"Weatherking Furnaces (90%)"
I have 2 Weatherking 90% furnaces that I installed myself. ok I am not supposed to be qualified but I am an electrical engineer and a very good craftsmen and I got tired of all the troubles I had with my previous furnaces. For the record I have 4 furnaces in my home/shop. 3 in house and 1 in shop. Because of inept installers and bs service companies I simply have maintained all of them myself for past 10 years. I read and research things and learn before I jump in. I known and understand how they work which is more than I can say for the last 2 service guys who came here. All of my furnaces are 60k btu. Started with 4 Bryant units and have now replaced 2 of them with Weatherking. Bryant units were unreliable partly by design and mainly by poor installation by a "qualified" installer/contractor. They also were 90% units. The main problem that plagues all these so-called "high tech" furnaces is that installers don't want to go to school every year to keep up with the technology so they tend to steer their customers away from any model they don't already know about. Most of my previous furnace problems stemmed from poor installation. 90% furnaces are recuperating type which means that liquid will be condensed out of the flue gases and caught in a tray and drained off to a drain near the furnace. If the furnace is NOT installed exactly level then the liquid can drip off into places like circuit boards or burners and ruin perfectly good items. My "professionally installed" furnaces were off by more than 1/2" from side to side when compared to a level resting on top flat surfaces. This makes for noisy cabinets, premature bearing failures on motors, rubbing of fans against housings and liquid condensate (which is slightly acidic in these furnaces) running off into places it should NOT go. I installed my first Weatherking 60K BTU 90% unit 2 years ago and followed the instructions TO THE LETTER and made sure it was absolutely level with no stresses applied to the cabinet by any crooked gas pipe connections or faulty dusctwork. I also made sure the PVC piping to the air in/out was emptied into the correct outside pressure zones rather than just any old way that was convenient. Guess what - the furnace is quiet as a mouse with not a hint of trouble. After a year I bought another one just like it and installed it too in the same fashion. Not a hint of trouble from it yet and I do check them. My previous furnaces and the 2 remaining furnaces in my house have plastic inducer fan motor blades that fail regularly. They and the motor must be replaced together for $250 component cost. This for a $25 motor and $5 fan blade. Rip off. My point is that the Weatherking has metal parts in those areas that caused me the most trouble. I wish it didn't have the hot surface igniter but I plan on swapping that out for the solid state ignitor anyway so knew that when I bought it. In truth it is very easy to change it out and spares can be purchased on ebay for a few bucks rather than replaced by "qualified service" at 5 times the actual price. I am NOT recommending that everyone service their own furnace but just suggesting that there are TONS of con artists out there masquerading as service techs and installers. Find a really GOOD one - do your OWN research and asked pointed questions. Buy a small level and put it on top flat surface of your furnace when he says he is done and don't pay him unless it is darn near perfect. Run it and make sure it is quiet. Assume he is an idiot until he proves otherwise and if he DOES prove otherwise - never let anyone but HIM work on your furnace. GOOD service people are worth their weight in gold but like gold they are hard to find.

Date created: 2008-11-10 Name: G. O'Brien
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN

"Filter replacement?"
I'm a new owner of a 10-yr-old home with a Winterking gas furnace and cannot find filter replacements? Nor can I find the company "winterking" can anyone help me?

Date created: 2008-08-16 Name: L Stevens
Location: Greenland, NH

"HVAC Contractor"
To all the customers that mention that their homes don't get to the desired temps., please call a professional in to do a heat load and see if the system and ductwork is sized properly. Some contractors will save money and not change what is really needed. If the system is sized to the load and ductwork is right, filters are kept clean, then you should have no problems regardless the brand.

Date created: 2008-08-16 Name: L Stevens

"Lee Stevens owner of 24/7 HVAC, Greenland, NH"
For an affordable furnace, the Weather King unit has performed outstandingly. The customer has also sent a thank you card in appreciation of how cool in the summer and warm in the winter they have been. This is one of the brands I use when giving Quotes for new or swap systems. The components fit together well and is an easy installation for the contractor.

Date created: 2008-08-10 Name: R Edwards
Location: Jacksonville, NC

"Weatherking problems"
I am also a HVAC contractor and installed aprox. 300 of these units. Have had call backs on 250 of them. The first problem they have is no loss of charge switch, always trouble with freon leaks and unit running with no freon until it burns the compressor up or blows the capacitor up. Next problem is charge problems if the charge is correct in summer itís not in the winter, unit becomes very noisy. They have no accumulator. Not the contractors fault!!!!!

Date created: 2008-07-30 Name: Bill
Location: Del City, Oklahoma

"Weather King 80%"
The new furnace thankfully has the direct spark ignition. It has ran flawlessly. I find it disappointing that it only has a 5yr warranty on parts only. Labor is extra. Energy bills were somewhat lower for me compared to last years (with the older furnace).

Date created: 2008-04-29 Name: Flash
Location: Lansing, Michigan

I also have a Weather King Furnace and am very satisfied. I have read some of the comments and disagree with most. Sounds like you all got a bad installer. Air Flow is critical with any furnace, controller allows for 5 tries to light then locks out. Dirty filter will cause overheat and furnace will lock out. With 90% vent that is to small or to long will cause lock out. Don't blame the furnace! Gas pressure is also critical, too high = lockout. Get a Good Furnace Man.

Date created: 2008-04-11 Name: DAVE PHILLIPS
Location: Ohio

I have a Weatherking 6 yrs old and has never gave me no troubles ever its a 90% eff. and I love it. Maybe all the other reviews need to point the finger at the dealers not the brand name, I do know for a fact they have to be installed correctly to work properly. I am a true believer of weatherking products and would definitly use again, so be careful reviewing when it is probably the installers not the furnace.