Consumer Reviews of Trane furnaces

Read more about Trane furnaces

Date created: 2011-11-04 Name: AlexG2002
Location: Nashville TN

"Trane is Not Trane"
Having read many of the reviews here, it has dawned on me most if not all of you. All do not know Trane commercial does not manufacture Trane residential HVAC'S. They are made by different manufacturers, so you cannot expect Trane commercial quality out of a Trane residential HVAC unit. Most of the motors for the major central air and heat brands are made by Tecumseh, not Trane or Lennox or American Standard. It appears most of the homeowners here are expecting Trane commercial HVAC quality out of Trane residential units and are astounded when it does not happen. There is a reason...

Date created: 2011-10-03 Name: M. Dunbar
Location: Ottaw, ON

"Faulty Furnace"
I bought my Trane High Efficiency Furnace in November 2005 (sorry I do not have the model #). We had serious problems from the get-go. We had no heat the first day after the installation, another technician came back the next day and still no heat, a third technician came and again no heat. We waited a week before they finally got the furnace to work....this all happening in the dead of winter. Then fast forward 5 years and bit later (Apr 2011) we had our annual maintenance and to our surprise we were told that there was a crack in the Heat Exchange and it would cost $700+ to repair. I was furious since I had an annual inspection every year and then to be told just after the warranty had expired about the repair. I only end up paying half of the repair cost. I was very upset when I learned that the Trane furnaces that were model years 5-6 years had defective Heat Exchanges and that the company had to repair a lot of them. I just turned on my furnace for the first time since the repair of the Heat Exchange last April and sure enough I only had cold air blowing from the register. It turns out I needed a high limit switch as the furnace was overheating and the cost again is about $350. Very disappointed with this Trane furnace product.

Date created: 2011-09-16 Name: Trina S
Location: Corunna, MI

"Stopped working only 2 years old!"
Bought a Trane furnace to replace our 25 year old Lennox. Never had any problems with the Lennox but wanted higher efficiency and did not want it to break down and be stuck out in the cold. Well, here we are 2 years later and the Trane has stopped working. Repairman coming out Monday so we are without heat for 4 days! I wish I would have went with another Lennox. I can't afford hundreds of dollars in repairs on a 2 year old furnace. That is why I bought a new furnace. This is ridiculous!

Date created: 2011-09-14 Name: Douglas Lobel
Location: Belleville

"Control Board malfunctions after 6 months"
We bought a Trane furnace in January of 2011 and 6 months later, our furnace was not working. Our local distributor who installed the unit came and said it may be due to water damage from a "third party failure". The board which should have been sent to Trane for analysis to confirm this was never sent. Instead, we got a bill for $1000 and told the damage was not covered under warranty because it was a "third party failure"! The analysis on the board was never done by the manufacturer! So we have no idea if it may have been caused by a device failure instead. Has anybody else had an issue like this?

Date created: 2011-09-09 Name: M. Perkins
Location: Amesbury, MA

"Good but I also feed duped..."
I also feel duped.....Our Trane furnace was installed in 2003 and has functioned well, with one part needing to be changed at the one year service date, until last spring. Then I was getting no heat, so I called my service provider who told me the fan motor needed to be replaced. He was going to order the part, and assured me it wold be low cost. I turned on the furnace two nights ago - nothing...... back and forth for a couple days has resulted in the information that the original unit has been discontinued by the company and the only replacement available costs $1000.00. Bit of a shock!!! Since these furnaces are supposed to last at least 20 years, it seems strange that a company would discontinue a part for a furnace that is less than half that age.

Date created: 2011-08-02 Name: cdorr
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

"Trane furnaces are rated # 19 out of 67?"
I am researching furnaces and central air conditioners. I now have a Lennox furnace and central air since 1982. I've only had one problem with the furnace for the last 29 years, a part was replaced (probably 10 years or more ago) which involved the electronic ignition. Every so often (estimated 2 years) I have to sand the ignition with sand paper which lights the pilot light, otherwise it keeps clicking. The furnace repairman told me to do that so it would light. I see the Trane is rated #1, but is #19 out of 67 furnaces! What are the names of the other 66 furnaces that are said to be ahead of Trane? I noticed there are a lot of negative reviews on all the furnaces! I think I will keep my old Lennox for that reason! Looks like all they make now is junk!

Date created: 2011-07-22 Name: Mike K.

"Savings! cha-ching"
Lived with a lemon furnace by Carrier for 6 years and finally got fed up and took the dive. Wish I would of made the change sooner. It's night and day. I no longer have to turn the tv up to listen to the game when the furnace kicks on. All I hear is the slight sound of air moving through the vents. The way it should be! Our gas bill dropped over $80 per month(30%) and with the tax credit the install will pay for itself in less than 5 years! I should of made this change sooner!

Date created: 2011-07-18 Name: Neil

"Great Product"
To Stephanie Angelos from Kenmore, WA: Common sense says if you hire a cheap installer you get a cheap installation. Trane is not exempt from that, nor is any manufacturer. So if you are complaining about a product, its likely you didn't do your due diligence and hire a good contractor as well. Based on your description, its all contractor related- any manufacturer setup that way would cause your problems. I have 20 duplex rentals and over 40 A/C units installed in Central Ohio. Recently replaced 6 Carrier A/C units with Trane XB units. I've had a collective 80yrs of Trane experience and can state that Trane is as good as anything out there - just get it installed correctly. Key points: Contractor should do load calc, check return duct work for sizing, verify air supply lines, assure drain lines for A-coil, location of compressor (north facing is best), blower speed, coolant pressure, air pressure in ducts(pre/post), dehumidification requirements, blower capacity, coolant lines (should get replaced)...just to name a few. A lot of contractors are happy to slap in a system and leave, they are not true professionals. Do research and ask a lot of questions, if you don't like what you hear - move on.

Date created: 2011-06-22 Name: tinman
Location: mo.

"Trane 4 me"
I have installed hundreds units of every brand.I do not service so i can not say much on that.the trane units seam to have alot nicer case.I have a 21 year old trane unit now and never had a problem other than a blower wheel wearing out.I am replacing all my units this month with new trane.

Date created: 2011-06-17 Name: Lynne D. Perry
Location: Penfield, New York

"Trane Insane - Who Would Do This?"
Trane furnaces require a lot of plumbing. They are not quiet, sounds to the neighbors like a jet plane landing when it kicks off. I have to admit, it is very loud outside the house. They plumbed the furnace to dump all the excess water into my floating slab basement. I kept complaining because of the moisture and mold that I believed was a result of pumping water into my foundation. They said this is normal. Hello? The insulation on my basement walls got so soaked they rotted and fell off the walls. My floor joists swelled and caused my wood floor to crack, and even the supporting wall in my living room developed a 1/4" crack. My new boyfriend took one look around, and we attached a cheap garden hose to the furnace to siphon off the water that was being poured into my slab to the sump pump (which never ran until now) and a dehumidifier which in 2 days time sucked out 4 gallons of water in the area. The ceiling and wall came back together, and the wood floors are almost all together again. My family room rug doesn't "squish" anymore when you walk on it but it's too late. The pad underneath is all rotted and everything has to be replaced. And installers say this is normal, and the problem is my house wasn't built properly to handle the excess water. Kumquats. I'm looking for enough people to make a class action suit against Trane and their installers. Don't buy this furnace!!! It will wreck your whole house!!!!