Consumer Reviews of Trane furnaces

""Got Taken"
Got screwed over!

Date created: 2010-08-08 Name: Unhappy Customer

"XV95 + 16i"
Replaced a 13 year old Rheem with this in 2007. The system has failed 3 times since: coil leaked freon and needed replacement, blown fuse on circuit board, circuit board failure. This is a Trane problem, not an installation issue. It's a good thing it has a 10-year warranty because I'm sure I'll need every single year. "It's Hard to Stop a Trane?" - mine makes all stops!

Date created: 2010-08-02 Name: Allen Colvin

"Installer error !!!!!!"
It upsets me to read these terrible reviews on a product I have been installing for years and never had a call back (ever). The biggest situation I see in these reviews are performance and leaks. The performance side is once again a designers error in the heating and cooling load of your home. All you people who have a system that consumes too much energy or does not cool your home or heat it for that matter needs to really look at the system the furnace or ac system is attached to. Yes, you need to seal your ducts and if they are in an attic space you better be r-8 ducting and the cold air return better be sealed 100% or you can get a reduction of performance 50% or greater. All you need is a 15% leak in your return. The condensate leaks are caused by poor installers and also the internal heat exchanger can leak but I have never had one do it. I agree the circuit board is in a bad position but I have never had a leak problem and never changed out a board in a Trane. Trane is a product and if it is not working right, you really need to understand the complexity of the system it is attached to and just because you paid top dollar for an install doesn't mean you got what you needed. Also, a 2 ton A/C system on a 1200 sq/ft home sounds ok but he didn't state the insulation value in his attic or the age of his ducting or if he lives in Arizona. I have put 60k furnaces in 3200 sq/ft homes and they love it, get an energy audit, find out the condition of your ducting with a duct blaster, air seal your home to .35 ach and insulate, insulate, insulate. Get a performance contractor who know his stuff to evaluate the situation. The only furnace I will not install is a York. I like my clients but I do not want to see them monthly. Do not bash the product. It is the installers/ start-up techs.

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: George P.

"Thanks for the warnings!"
I need a new a/c because it went out and need to replace since the one I have is 31 years old but from reading all the negative feed backs, I won't be buying a Trane! For those who say that the troubles they are having is because it was due to poor installation or poor ducts, is bull! Maybe one or two complaints but not when you have all this complaints!

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: E. Alber

"Helping a neigbor, not a good idea"
Not only do we air condition the house but we air condition the garage! Our energy savings unit cost us way over what our 12 year old unit did. The warranty is worth nothing. The installer, Mike Hammer from Martinez has walked away and will no longer service our unit. It continues to freeze up when turned on. We took his advice when selling us the new system and went up a size and now it is too big for the house. He, of course wants to blame it on the duct system. The last unit the "right size" worked for 12 years. We are stuck with a $7,000.00 unit that doesn't work and he will not make it good. We used Mike because he promised good service because he lived in our neighborhood. Never again.

Date created: 2010-06-22 Name: Chris

"DO NOT buy a Trane system!"
Our builder used Tranes in all our houses in our neighborhood and we are all having the same problems over and over. Problems with the ac and furnace. Trane sent a part and two days later broke again. Has nothing to do with maintenance or repairmen. We have all used different people and had the same problem. We've started having problems with it in the first year. We had a Goodman and American Standard. They had no problems. We have had nonestop problems with the circuit board and transformers. Do not buy a Trane.

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: Inge Shmidt

"NOT AGREE WITH ALLEN COLVIN"
I do not agree with Allen Colvin, dated 03/30/2010. It is Trane's job to assure their installers are qualified. How those problems are related with duct system are also questionable.

Date created: 2010-06-03 Name: Tjay Baylor

"Trane Heat Junk(PUMP)"
I built a new house from the ground in 2004. The builder installed a Trane heat pump. I was happy because it was to be so great. In the winter, the heat is not really hot just lukewarm. The blower and compressor on the a/c unit went over the weekend. I had a repair tech out who wanted to charge $3,000 to install a new one. It is not in the budget so I'm currently seeking alternatives to getting another one installed. When you build new, you expect the essentials in the home to last longer than 5 years. From looking here on the board, it appears as if this happens quite often with Trane Heat Junk(PUMP).

Date created: 2010-05-16 Name: Jane Hoffman
Location: Northern Wisconsin

"Jane Hoffman"
Since I have had this Trane furnace serviced by Sunshine Heating of Waupca, Wisconsin, they have replaced a sensor that has gone bad. Now if this sensor has had problems why wasn't it looked into or is this another Toyota keeping information private and unknown to the buyer. That means from now on I will be paying over $200.00 for this sensor. When I contacted Sunshine Heating about this problem, I was told that someone would get back to me. So far no one has. Jane Hoffman [email protected] 414-562-4160. PS. This furnace is in my home in northern Wisconsin so I have to leave the heat on in the winter so that my pipes don't freeze. Please send me an answer or call me. Thanks

Date created: 2010-05-05 Name: R. Burnett

"Happy with mine"
I have a Trane 78 furnace and 3-ton A/C unit which were installed when the house was built in '92. These were probably builder-grade units at the time. I've had an annual cleaning/maintenance check since they were new, and change the filter about every 8-10 weeks. They have never failed and been very reliable. I also have an attached humidifier, and aside from normal maintenance, this has been reliable as well. I was told by a service tech that the original installers did a good job. The units are beginning to be noisier, and I am looking to replace both this year while I can take advantage of the tax credit and utility rebates. I'm getting proposals from 4 contractors, but expect my new ones will be Tranes.