Consumer Reviews of Trane furnaces

Read more about Trane furnaces

Date created: 2017-12-27 Name: R. FOSTER
Location: Dresden, OH

"Heat box"
Furnace 19 years old warranty 20 years... In writing tempature 2 degrees furnace quit... They would not honor warranty left me with no heat they sure do not care about there customers. Will never buy Trane product again.

Date created: 2017-12-13 Name: R. Harris
Location: Tampa, FL

"DOES NOT RUN LIKE A TRANE"
Trane Furnace & ac installed 2010, in 2013 new motor had to be installed, original failed. $300 labor to install. December 2017 2nd motor failed, $1400 to install new motor, Trane says no longer covered by warranty. Jamie's Central Air & Heating in Tampa says that's the best they can do, & will only give a year warranty on the new motor. No way am I putting a 3rd Trane motor in since the first two were junk & only lasted two years. Going to a new company that stands behind their product. Don"t buy trane
Date created: 2017-11-28 Name: Tony Frates
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"Short life, limited warranty of limited value"
The furnace and its compatible ac unit (10 Seer) were installed in September of 2006. The heat exchanger became "compromised" after a more thorough take down of the unit was made in November 2017 to find the source of a rattle (a loose screw that had been present since the time of the installation). The repair person pronounced the furnace dangerous and in immediate need of replacement. While there is a 20-year limited warranty on the heat exchanger, our repair/installation representative (a fairly large, reputable, and long-established local company) indicates that replacement heat exchanger units typically were not readily in stock locally for most models (and not just this brand), and that there would be likely a two week wait for the part, plus we would have to pay for shipping ($80 to $100) and for their labor to install it ($1000). You can't realistically wait two weeks in freezing weather; you'd think a critical warranty replacement part like this could be easily made available by the manufacturer on a "next day" basis. Eleven years is far too short of a life span for a furnace. The ac unit worked well and probably could have lasted but was using the now outlawed freon. Full replacement of both units was therefore required as a practical matter. Built-in obsolescence seems to be how some manufacturing companies in this industry operate.
Date created: 2017-11-15 Name: Michael Z
Location: Illinois

"Broken down after only 12 years"
This Trane furnace (sv9) essentially broke down after just 12 years of service since a plastic piece in the control unit cracked leading to a small leak of carbon monoxide into my house. My choice now is replace the control unit and plastic part (that may break again) for $3200 or the entire furnace for another Trane for $4800. These furnaces provide no value and I will go with a York now. Good riddance Trane.
Date created: 2017-11-03 Name: William A. and MaryLynne Sobotka
Location: Homer Glen, IL

"They blame everything but the furnace!!!"
Beware: Had the Trane Furnace, Air-conditioner, Aprilaire Media Air Cleaner, model 2400 and Aprilaire Auto Humidifier model 768 installed on May 30th, 2001. This Trane furnace came with a 10 year warranty. What they don't tell you is: I was having water problems, coming from who knows where, " Trane people" blamed it on the Humidifier, in which they put in. The water shorted out the Circuit board which I ended up paying for. The water damage was so bad, that the bottom of my furnace looked to be 30 years old with all the rust on the bottom of the unit. The funny thing about the experts who came out to service their unit didn't see NO residue inside the furnace which would of indicated it was coming from that humidifier. Also, had a problem with the Furnace regarding Blower Motor, also due to the water damage. And that happened 1 week after the 10 warranty was up. When I called and explain the history of my furnace they said sorry its off the warranty, yet I still had to pay for the Circuit board, so ask yourselves before you buy, cause this could happen to you!! I have never been so unhappy with a furnace or the way they treated me in all my life. When we replaced that furnace, it turned out it had a cracked secondary heat exchange which would of created that water leak. But their experts never found that problem. I did when I replaced the unit.
Date created: 2017-07-29 Name: Dale
Location: Logansport, IN

"Day old and don't work"
Just had a new furnace and central air installed today. The air works great, but the furnace don't work. Installer said that the service guy will have to work on it. I spent $10,000 dollars and this is what you get. Hope this is not a start to my headaches. Did a lot of research and it was between a Trane and York. Hope I did not make a bad decision.
Date created: 2017-03-27 Name: At Kylo
Location: Courtenay, B.C

"Compressor failed on heatpump"
Our compressor on our Trane heat pump/air conditioner. After 1 and a bit years. Even though we did not purchase the extra labor warranty because who could stop a TRANE. Laugh out loud Something did. And they don't even know what. Yes we got a new compressor, but the installation was 1500.00! So Trane has just lost many customers from our strata that just passed that the 61 units here could install them.
Date created: 2017-02-18 Name: I Stroh
Location: Ohio

"Rotten control board"
Purchased a Trane in 2006, and was very satisfied until 2015 when the igniter went and control board shorted out for no reason. $800 in repairs. Now, 14 months later, warranty is expired, it blew again, along with the igniter and capacitor. $1000. Furnaces are supposed to last longer than this. The board is made in Mexico, perhaps that has something to do with it. I came to this site to find the best brand so I know what to buy the next time it goes.
Date created: 2017-01-29 Name: Steve J Reinoehl
Location: Dover, PA

"Supposed to be the top of the line and most efficient."
Purchased this furnace in December 2016. It was to be the top of the line furnace and most efficient. My old furnace was 17 years old and this new furnace uses more natural gas then my old one. My gas bill went up $20.00 per month and that's on the budget. This furnace also made my electric bill go up. Not what I was expecting!
Date created: 2016-12-20 Name: M Tarpey
Location: Altoona, PA

"Lemon"
New Trane forced-air furnace installed in December 2014 and nothing but trouble. Worst decision ever made- previous furnace worked great for years. I think it's time to get rid of this piece of crap and jump off this Trane. Totally disgusted.