Consumer Reviews of Thermo Pride furnaces

• OL5 (4 reviews)

Date created: 2016-01-01 Name: Marlene Newman
Location: Pennsville, NJ

"Part replacement"
I purchased a Thermo Pride heater in March 2014. The solid-state igniter went bad in December 2015. Cost me $207 to replace the igniter. Not happy.

Date created: 2015-09-24 Location: Seattle, WA

"Excellent furnace"
We have owned our furnace for just a few months. I have never lived in a home with oil heating and I was concerned it would not be as effective as natural gas, so much so that I had planned to have the house switched over to natural gas. But as the weather has cooled and the furnace has kicked into gear I see there is no need! We had it serviced upon moving in and the service guy said it was in great shape and wouldn't need another servicing for five to seven years! The only thing I can say bad about it is it's a little noisy but we have it next to our dryer and the dryer drowns out the furnace. The two combined put my six month old to sleep quite nicely! What I love about it is just how warm the air it pumps out is, so cozy!

Date created: 2015-05-05 Name: James Barends
Location: King of Prussia, PA

"New Thermo Pride furnace, King of Prussia, PA"
In November 2013, we installed a new Thermo Pride OL6-RA071D48 low boy furnace with a Beckett burner and a direct drive blower. The unit is set up for 90,000 BTU output with an existing 3 ton AC coil. The old furnace had 68,000 BTU output and never heated the house right. The new furnace works really well and heats the entire house evenly. We also saw a drop in oil use from 820 gallons in 2012-2103 (very mild winter) to only 600 gallons in 2013-2014, which was a much harsher winter. Very happy with the new furnace. The octagon heat exchanger offers better heat transfer characteristics since the air flow over the surfaces is better for heating. I have designed heat exchangers before and thought the design to be interesting. I would like to also note that I am an engineer with extensive experience designing and building huge industrial furnaces, some larger than most houses and as well as building HVAC systems. When we put this furnace in I finally sat down, looked at our home system and determined why it stunk. The ducting was wrong in multiple locations. I replaced 2/3 of the ducts and split the upstairs supply from the downstairs. I also replaced all the flex ducting with hard pipe duct and insulated it with R-14 insulation. I increased the total duct size for the return as well which cut the pressure issues in half. The result is after 15 years of poor heating, our house has a good system with good air flow. Still hearing comments from my wife about waiting 15 years to fix the bad ducting! The furnace is only half the issue. If the ducting is bad, you will never get good performance out of the furnace. Even the thermostat location is critical. A bad location with drafts can cause short cycling and poor heat quality. Oversizing the furnace will also do the same with a big increase in fuel usage and poor heating quality. If the furnace is oversized, you can reduce the fire rate to the minimum to improve it. Furnaces should run for a steady period and gradually heat a home. Also don't forget to have the chimney checked. A blockage will hurt the furnace performance and can be dangerous.

Date created: 2015-03-13 Name: J Smith
Location: Kingston, NY

"Problem after just four years"
After just four years, this wonderful, most efficient, Made in the USA furnace needs to have the air inducer replaced. Which, I may add, is made in Mexico. As other reviewers have mentioned, Thermo Pride will not respond to homeowners in any way. There are no substitute replacement parts available anywhere except through Thermo Pride, and you need to have an authorized heating contractor contact them for replacement parts, which means paying for service calls and installation. After having the parts ordered through the contractor, we were informed that we had to pay the shipping charge for the replacement part. I find this unacceptable, as this is a defective Thermo Pride part and it seems they should be responsible for shipping the new part to replace their defective one. This part (inducer) was very poorly designed. The hose connection on the inducer was smaller than the fitting on the pressure switch which it connects to, causing the installer to spend an extra hour to find a solution to connect the two parts properly without leaks. Now we're wondering if this part is going to need replacement every four years or maybe less. This furnace could end up costing more money than it's worth. Disappointed, to say the least.

Date created: 2014-08-14 Name: John
Location: NH

"Thermo Pride Customers service sucks"
Thermo pride has got to have the worst customer service on planet earth. They will not deal with the end customer for any reason and direct you to the service companies for even little things. They would not sell me touch up paint. "Sorry sir, we cannot give any answers to homeowners, contact your local licensed contractor". Horrible company, horrible furnace.

Date created: 2014-07-11 Name: C Cain
Location: Canton, OH

"Thermo Pride Oil Fired Furnace"
This review is for the Thermo Pride Oil Fired Furnace ol11-105. We installed a Thermo-Pride oil fired furnace in our century farm house in 1999 after we lost our gas. At the time we had an ancient coal-fired furnace that had been converted to gas. We had heard horror stories about oil furnaces but since oil has a higher btu than gas we opted for the oil furnace. It has been very dependable & does a good job heating our old home. The only issue we have had is with the oil nozzle clogging (we just replace it annually) & this is more due to the fuel oil than the furnace. It is pretty quiet. The only time we have any fuel oil odor is right after the tank (in basement) is filled. We have had no corrosion problems despite being in a basement. We had to go with the low-boy model ol11-105 because we have a very low basement (which is common for 1870 circa homes). Overall, I am extremely pleased with this furnace & would highly recommend it. However, I can not speak for the current models. Please be aware that the furnace needs to be properly sized and installed with adequate ductwork to be effective.

Date created: 2013-02-18 Name: pat hutton
Location: Meadville PA

"I like furnace but....."
This company came into our home 2 1/2 weeks to install a Thermopride Mobile home natural gas furnace. a few days after installation, we noticed furnace not running properly and water was running down furnace and was leaking into ceiling and vent pipe. The tech came out, called us a liar that it was not leaking until we had to pull out insulation and show him all the brown water marks on our ceiling above furnace. After 4 hours of sitting in front of furnace, he drilled a hole in the gas line to furnace to do test and put silicon back on it and left. After he left that night we had to call company again since he had a leak in the gas pipe to furnace which pix is attached and also he cut out pipe so furnace would get more air but it was only sending gas back into our house so we had to shut down furnace. the next day another tech came and said he had to go get parts after we had to call manufacturer because the company was given the wrong way to fix it. I had to go to doctors and told him I would be back later. I had to go get tests so called company to tell them I wouldn't be back til 3:30. Nasty message was left on my answering machine stating I was to be home all day and that he just got my message and would call back when I got home. That was 6 days ago and still no calls from them. So after 2 1/2 weeks I have a brand new furnace that still does not work properly, big Ruts in my yard over our septic tank where they ran their truck over it instead of asking me to move our car or back up out of drive since we have a big u shape drive, they just went around car and right overtop pipes of septic tank. This company is very rude, arrogant and they don't care about their customers. Do not call Thermopride either since they tell you you have to deal with company. It's a shame you have a brand new furnace and it don't work. Watch out for this company. When is the customer always wrong and company right? They have no people skills and no consideration or courtesy.

Date created: 2013-01-09 Name: D. Ferretti
Location: Scotia, NY

"Very Bad Investment for an Oil Furnace"
The so-called experts with the Thermo Pride furnace can't seem to find the problem that is costing me more and more money in wasted oil heat. If I turn the thermostat down at night it takes about 30 to 40 min per degree to return. Even at the desired temperature the furnace runs 6 to 10 times an hour with the fan coming on first cooling the house and then the furnace fires up to send heat. No wonder my oil supplier talked me into this expensive lemon!

Date created: 2012-12-04 Name: C. Powers
Location: Milwaukie, Or

"Dissatisfied Customer"
Installed furnace Feb 2012. Third visit from serviceman and third time this year I had to sleep elsewhere due to no heat.

Date created: 2012-01-22 Name: D. Stephens
Location: Greensboro,nc

"Maintenance free"
Great furnace in place for 16 years. Have it serviced annually and have never had to have any repairs to it.