Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR furnaces

Read more about TEMPSTAR furnaces

Date created: 2009-03-15 Name: Mike
Location: Jacksonville, FL

"TEMPSTAR"
My 2 and a half ton was installed in the new, 2003. I'v had total 2 service calls. One was the Handler needing a capacitor. I've also had to replace the circuit breaker connected to the unit replaced. I then had service call - No A/c -, of course, freeon added. Then during mild winter in Jacksonville, Fl, The heat kept going to emerg heat, elec bill got higher. Then, the temp got a little hinger and I tested the a/c part of it, yeah, Iced over coils, not cold. I didn't pay again, I did what everyone is going to do eventually (except for the pedlers out there tying to sale these to Home Owners), I bought a trane. So far, so good after a few days. They replaced Unit and handler. I can feel just by the ways it runs, my elec bill will go way down. IF YOU GOT A TEMP STAR, GO AHEAD AND JUNK IT. I used Preferred Services Co. to install mine. They are advertised in MINT magazine and are listed in BBB.org. I don't know yet if they are best or what. But, I decieded at 12:30 pm to get new one and my Trane was installed completely by 8:00 pm. Actuall about a 3 and a half install time. Seems OK for now. Please, be careful about any positive reviews on TEMP STAR, I'm telling you, They got these units put in every where in my neighborhood and then some. NO ONE, NO one I know has anything good to say about these units. I of 2 total replacements and mine just of friends I know. Personally, I think Trane, Carrier, and maybe a Goodman are ok, but I splurged and got the best. Trane. When, you get your price, call at a minimum, 3 companies to give you quotes and then check out complaints at bbb.org, friends and such; then make a decision.

Date created: 2009-03-08 Name: Kevin W
Location: Sioux Falls

"HVAC PROFESSIONAL"
Tempstaar makes good products, without a doubt. I started my business 4 years ago, and have installed 5 diffeerent brands in that time (to decide which one I liked best). I now sell tempstar because I found that the Tempstar units I installed had a lesser frequency of repair than the more expensive brands. I also installed Tempstar furnaces when I moonlighted 15 years ago and had no problems other than routine parts- (flame sensors and ignitors) which typically fail every 4-5 years. From doing service work and reading the stories below I know that there are installers out there that are not doing their jobs propperly, and service people that are screwing up. I have gone into homes where they have been told that the furnace is shot, and I fixed it for 150.00. These people really make me mad because cutomers associate the bad service from one contractor to the entire brand. I recoccomend using a smaller contractor who does the work himself. He has his reputation and his livelyhood on the line. a big contractor has too hire who they can get, and dont care if their service guys take 4 hours for a 2 hour job. (they just bill the customer). Also, if your service guy is replacing your hot surface ignitors every year or so, tell him not to touch the ceramic part. (the oil from his fingers shorten the life bigtime!!!!!!!)

Date created: 2009-02-27 Name: Christopher Beeker
Location: Costa Mesa, CA

"Tempstar offers the best 10 year parts & 10 New Replacement warranties on the market.."
Tempstar's Warranties exceed all the big boys out there. 10 Year parts warranty if unit is registered within 90 days. 10 year New Replacement of Furnace or condenser if either heat exchanger or compressor fails within ten years. Let's see Carrier, Lennox, Trane & American Standard put up or shut up.ICP-TEMPSTAR Is moderate in price compared to the others and when warranties expire the parts are readily available. Not like the others who require your first born just because of marketing muscle.

Date created: 2009-02-19 Name: G. Thomas
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin

"Tempstar was good for me!"
I never had the furnace serviced in 14 years and then the squirrel cage blower developed a vibration due to dust buildup. The serviceman couldn't get the cage off of the motor and ruined the motor trying to pound it off. The furnace was great...the serviceman was a dunce! The furnace was the top model with a variable speed motor and he lied to me and said they don't make that furnace anymore, so they replaced it with a Heil furnace without the dc motor. I had to pay $900 for installation but the furnace was free because they lied and said it had a cracked heat exchanger.

Date created: 2009-02-09 Name: carol gallino
Location: Niagara, WI

"C"
The heat exchanger was installed improperly in the factory. it was totally burnt out. we were being affixiated. lucky we are not dead. the furnace started making a funny noise so we called the repair man, he found the flaw. also had to replace the blower fan and once before another part.

Date created: 2009-01-26 Name: J.R.
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"Noisy furnace"
Purchase the Furnace (sp80) with our home. The original motor had zerks that needed to be oiled twice a year. 3 years ago, I forgot to oil once and the motor siezed. New motor installed two years ago, last weekend the motor starts making a very large noise everytime it starts. Technician says motor is shot, probably due to an undersized replacement being used. He recommends a new furnace (currently 14 yo)he showed me where I will most likely see my next failure,control board, then the smart valve, then the blower, etc. Not sure if I will replace the motor or the whole unit.

Date created: 2009-01-15 Name: Sharon E. Stowers
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Sharon STowers - this is a piece of junk"
I recommend not buying this furnace. Had to replace the blower 2 years ago and today on the coldest day of year, it is blowing cold air. Must stay in a hotel tonight. I have had furnaces that were not "high efficiency" that worked better than this piece of junk and lasted for years without a problem. I acquired this piece of junk furnace when I bought this home.

Date created: 2008-12-30 Name: R

"Excellent Furnace"
Just had the blower motor replaced, the inducer motor has been noisy (ball bearings?), had it replaced too. Excellent furnace -- probably wouldn't have needed the blower motor replaced if I had used better filters -- dust plugged up the air flow in the motor.

Date created: 2008-12-17 Name: Kristy Castillo
Location: Calimesa, CA

"Works great"
Thought I would say that I have never had a porblem with our system its a variable speed drive with 2 stage cooling . Seems like the majority of complaints , if not all , are related to installation problems ,misdiagnosed , or problems relating to existing components from the old system . We used rdl Mechanical in Yucaipa ca and we have never had a problem. Look foward to many years of reliable service from this system , and have no reason to think otherwise . People choose your contractors wisely look for 20 years experience and a licinec and insurance as a minimum . I did that and found a great contractor , great product and great installing and service co.

Date created: 2008-10-26 Name: Bob
Location: Northeast IL

"Never Again!"
Builder installed this piece of junk. We've paid for repairs of several design defects. There was a product safety recall on this unit that the company never informed us about. When it failed, the secret recall was over, and we had to pay for the repairs. This defect could have killed us!