Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR furnaces

Read more about TEMPSTAR furnaces

Date created: 2009-01-15 Name: Sharon E. Stowers
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Sharon STowers - this is a piece of junk"
I recommend not buying this furnace. Had to replace the blower 2 years ago and today on the coldest day of year, it is blowing cold air. Must stay in a hotel tonight. I have had furnaces that were not "high efficiency" that worked better than this piece of junk and lasted for years without a problem. I acquired this piece of junk furnace when I bought this home.

Date created: 2008-12-30 Name: R

"Excellent Furnace"
Just had the blower motor replaced, the inducer motor has been noisy (ball bearings?), had it replaced too. Excellent furnace -- probably wouldn't have needed the blower motor replaced if I had used better filters -- dust plugged up the air flow in the motor.

Date created: 2008-12-17 Name: Kristy Castillo
Location: Calimesa, CA

"Works great"
Thought I would say that I have never had a porblem with our system its a variable speed drive with 2 stage cooling . Seems like the majority of complaints , if not all , are related to installation problems ,misdiagnosed , or problems relating to existing components from the old system . We used rdl Mechanical in Yucaipa ca and we have never had a problem. Look foward to many years of reliable service from this system , and have no reason to think otherwise . People choose your contractors wisely look for 20 years experience and a licinec and insurance as a minimum . I did that and found a great contractor , great product and great installing and service co.

Date created: 2008-10-26 Name: Bob
Location: Northeast IL

"Never Again!"
Builder installed this piece of junk. We've paid for repairs of several design defects. There was a product safety recall on this unit that the company never informed us about. When it failed, the secret recall was over, and we had to pay for the repairs. This defect could have killed us!

Date created: 2008-10-13 Name: Mark smith
Location: Appleton, WI

"Home"
Works great

Date created: 2008-10-06 Name: R. Jarosz
Location: Brookfield, Il

"Bob J."
The inducer went bad after just 1 yr. and again just 2 years ago. At over $300 each. Then every couple years the pilot light hole gets plugged and needs to be cleaned out at over $175 a time. The serviceman says there should be a filter preventing that but its not doing its job. All in all it was a bad choice of furnaces.

Date created: 2008-10-03 Name: Phil S
Location: Rochester, NY

"Big piece of junk"
I have had to replace 4 boards, two blower motors and the drain system fouls up all the time. If someone tries to sell you one of these pieces of junk run or kick the bum out. I have paid more in repair calls than the unit originally cost.

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: Chris B
Location: Green Bay

"7 yr old and junk"
Heat exchanger went out. It was still under warranty but would cost 500$ to install it. Dealer told me that they pressed the clam shell together at the factory wrong on all the units. If thatís the case, they should fix their screw up not at the cost of their customer. They will surely be out of business soon if thatís the way they operate.

Date created: 2008-06-19 Name: J Schaafsma
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Tempstar N9MP2"
Darn noisy. Even when wired for the lowest speed fan setting, it wakes me up at night.

Date created: 2008-05-02 Name: Martin
Location: Belleville, ON

I put in a Tempstar high efficiency 4 years ago. Its been working ok for me so far with the only problems being a noisy inducer motor which I replaced and a bad Honeywell smart valve. Even thought the furnace has worked good so far. I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in Tempstars choice to use a Honeywell smart valve. Instead of using just a HSI, or a Pilot. Tempstar decided it would be a good Idea to use both. I can almost bet that this is where the next problem will be.