Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR furnaces

Read more about TEMPSTAR furnaces

Date created: 2016-05-31 Name: Craig Dennis
Location: Morehead, KY

"Avoid this brand"
Bought this unit 6 years ago. The installer said it had a 10-year parts warranty. Never told us we had to register the unit for the full 10-year warranty. 6 years later we need a new coil and International Comfort Products LLC (parent company of TermpStar, 931-270-4100) tells us the unit was never registered and the warranty is only for 5 years. They refuse to cover the coil or even discuss this with the installer even though there was nothing to registering the unit other than going on- line and completing a short form. I have proof that I am the original owner but now I must pay over $1000.00 to have it fixed. Never buy this brand!

Date created: 2016-03-01 Name: howard
Location: British Columbia, Canada

We bought the house new in 2008 with a Tempstar furnace installed by the builder (neighbor had identical furnace). My blower motor died in 2015, the week before Christmas (ironically the neighbor's furnace died a week before, over $3000.00 to repair; they bought a new furnace). I chose to replace the motor and module, just under $1600.00. There is no saving of money with this unit. Would never recommend this furnace to anyone.

Date created: 2016-01-27 Name: Jeff Beaudin
Location: Pinconning, MI

"It doesn't matter what brand it is."
I worked in the wholesale business for over 25 years and I sold many brands including Carrier, Comfort Maker, Ruud, Kelvinator, Philco, etc. I've been to many tech courses and all of them indicate most failures are lack of maintenance, Did you hear that, most homeowners do not call a heating contractor unless there's a problem. Do you maintain your car? Of course you do. The same with your furnace and you will be surprised how long it lasts. Once a year is fine.

Date created: 2015-11-16 Location: Buffalo, NY

"Good Economy Model"
I've been living in my apartment for almost five years now, so I know the ins and outs of this furnace, though it's hard to know how much the furnace is to blame or the duct-work and insulation. It keeps the house warm and the bills pretty low. That's pretty much my only concern in a furnace. If I had any complaints about it, then those are basically that it doesn't seem to have a fast pick up.

Date created: 2015-08-18 Name: James Costello
Location: Buffalo, NY

"Cheap internals"
Furnace is five years old and on its third inducer motor. The circuit board also makes a buzzing noise audible when the panel is closed. The warranty is garbage - they hold parts at ransom and instead of sending a replacement in exchange for the broken part, they force you to pay $120 or more to a service contractor to perform a three minute job anyone with a screw driver can perform.

Date created: 2014-12-31 Name: Joe
Location: Northeast PA

"Tempstar N9MSE"
I hired a very able company and had them remove my 12-year-old Rheem furnace. I paid $2500 for a Tempstar-Heil single stage N9MSE furnace for use with propane. I've only had the unit for a few weeks but so far it's working perfectly, keeping my home within one degree of thermostat settings. It's possibly a bit quieter than the Rheem but I'm not sure any single stage unit can be non-intrusive when they run. Bottom line is that for $2500 installed I'm happy, and with the warranty this home should be warm for many winters to come...I hope.

Date created: 2014-12-01 Name: A. Robertson
Location: Cedaredge, CO

"Problems"
No need to go into a very lengthy review of the problems we've had. I just want to say we have had nothing but electronic and general electrical problems with this unit over many years. I would definitely not recommend their products to anyone. After years and years of technicians working on this unit we have finally given up and will replace this with a more reliable unit, and that means anything but Tempstar.

Date created: 2014-05-02 Name: sharon
Location: Sarnia

"Garbage ..."
I am a single mom and spent my $3000 dollars on this furnace thinking it would work. Nothing but problems. My 2 year old son and I froze all winter, sick every week because no heat. Plus, on top of it, I called Sarnia Heating who installed it and they sent me bills saying I own them money when they just installed this product and it's less than 2 weeks old? This isn't right. I'm trying to support my son and I and working and spent $3000 dollars on a furnace which you would assume it would work and doesn't!! Leaking all over and they say the reason why it's all leaking and not working one because of my gas and second they told me I don't know how to use a furnace? Like, really? I had Union Gas come in -- nothing is wrong it's the system itself. I would not recommend anybody to purchase this brand or from this company! Right now this furnace is down stairs doing nothing. Just cost me my last $3000 as a single mom and never even had heat all winter!!

Date created: 2012-12-05 Name: Randy

"Runs Great"
Have a 2 stage 95% efficiency condensing Tempstar furnace, installed by self and careful old contractor. Gas bills dropped 25 to 30%, temperature in house much more even and comfortable at a lower thermostat setting. Has ran fine for 5 years, regular maintenance of condensing drain system, trap and line is a must with these units, watch for leaks etc. Also have a high quality electrostatic intake filter, which I clean regular, as well as the fan compartment. People probably put the cheapest filter they can find in a $3000 furnace no doubt, but not smart. This sort of care takes a few minutes now and then but pays off handsomely in maintenance bills.

Date created: 2012-11-17 Name: Gary Pixler
Location: Platte City, Missouri

"High Efficiency Condensing Gas furnace"
Just replaced Lennox Furnace and ac unit with new TempStar High Efficiency Condensing Gas Furnace and Split System r-410a 3.5 ton with 4 ton n coil. Talk about a difference! Lower gas bill and electric bill! Very quiet unit and does a fantastic job over the old Lennox. Installer was great and was very meticulous in the installation. No wasted heat out the exhaust which is a 3 inch pvc pipe and new unit uses outside air through separate intake pvc pipe. The warranty...hands down the best I have ever seen.