Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR furnaces

Read more about TEMPSTAR furnaces

Date created: 2018-03-09 Name: Todd M
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

"Watch Out for this GARBAGE"
The furnace has been in less than 3 years and the blower motor has gone in it already. Stopped working for no reason twice this winter. Very unreliable. I would not buy a Tempstar. To aggravated right now to type and wishing I spent the little extra to buy quality. My bad! I know you read these and say, meh how poor can they be, lets do it....DON'T You will regret it.

Date created: 2018-01-15 Name: Anne Smith
Location: Minnesota

"What I know"
I moved in to this home 15 years ago. First year during very cold temps, limit switch went. Guy came out on an emergency call while I was at hospital with my mother and installed a different high limit switch then what Tempstar called for, and it went again, but luckily it lasted about a month or so until it did. This older model required a specified limit switch part and we found it and made sure it was put in and furnace was fine for sometime. Had to replace normal parts since then. Blower motor still works well, inducer draft motor went (original part) went at about 19 years after the make of the model manufacture date. That is not bad. Replaced an Hot surface ignitor after living here for about 10 years. [Probably not original, but still a good length of time because those parts go sooner}. Hsi module board replacement once at about 12 years of living here. All these parts are not that expensive and expected. Now after a 26 year old furnace I am looking for a new one. I expect to get a quote from tempstar again, along with brands. Some items you just expect to replace because of age and use. The thing I worry about now are heat exchangers on my old furnace, so time to bite the bullet. My tempstar ac has been working fine for all these years, so not bad either, it was installed at same time. I would just do a check on any of already installed newer models of furnaces to see if there has been any recall or troubles on specific parts. One major thing I see with these variable fan motors on newer furnaces on any kind seem to be the fan motor burning out quickly. My blower fan motor is the original on the tempstar, and the capacitor still holds the correct amount. This tempstar is a one stage blower 1/2 hp. With no oil ports [self oiling]. This furnace has lasted pretty well at 26 years.
Date created: 2017-10-31 Name: Brian
Location: Omaha,NE

"Awesome product"
I'd like to say that I am very satisfied with this Tempstar brand 99.9% of the issues that we end consumers have with our systems is due to poor installation by individuals that are not properly qualified to do the job. Anyone with common sense will know that that goes the same for any other product out there. This Tempstar unit that I have installed in my home tsa 6 - 16 seer is a super quiet and yet out performed my old Goodman I recommend this manufacturers brand which of whom is essentially a Carrier product doing my research ICP cooperation makes Carrier, Bryant, Tempstar, day night, Payne and their product is also under a number of names as well. They are all the same equipment different models different metal exterior designs however the equipment compressors and system components are exactly the same with all the different brands at which they make again this is doing my research once again I am 100% satisfied with my Tempstar I believe those of us that have the bad experience and leave really bad reviews are due to very poor installation of the equipment by unqualified individuals.. Hope this is helpful to any and everyone out there!!
Date created: 2017-10-15 Name: T miller
Location: Rockton, IL

"Contractors opinion"
As a service person for 33 plus years I can read between the lines of complaints on any brand furnace. What I'm seeing is the customers that feel they have a junk furnace, need to know any furnace is only as good as the installer or service tech working on it! It's sad equipment takes a bad rap for poor workmanship, or a tech that doesn't know how to use a meter!
Date created: 2017-03-06 Name: Christopher Pilla
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"Stay Away."
Stay Away. Did not work properly from day of installation. Replaced Mother Board twice. Replaced pressure relief valve day of installation. Replaced thermostat 4 times. At least 2 service calls a year. After 10 years of never knowing if it was going to kick on and crazy blink error codes I bit the bullet and replaced this lemon. Never buy a tempstar heater. My advice
Date created: 2016-11-18 Name: Christopher Pilla
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"Stay away!"
10 Years I put up with this total piece of Crap! Unreliable! Incomplete cycle starts. Frequent pressure code errors. Crazy blink code errors.Not bringing room up to temprerture. Three new thermostats. 3 new mother boards. 2New pressure relief valves. I was not living thru another season with this utter piece of crap. It acted up day 1 of installation and continued for 10 years. Pos
Date created: 2016-05-31 Name: Craig Dennis
Location: Morehead, KY

"Avoid this brand"
Bought this unit 6 years ago. The installer said it had a 10-year parts warranty. Never told us we had to register the unit for the full 10-year warranty. 6 years later we need a new coil and International Comfort Products LLC (parent company of TermpStar, 931-270-4100) tells us the unit was never registered and the warranty is only for 5 years. They refuse to cover the coil or even discuss this with the installer even though there was nothing to registering the unit other than going on- line and completing a short form. I have proof that I am the original owner but now I must pay over $1000.00 to have it fixed. Never buy this brand!
Date created: 2016-03-01 Name: howard
Location: British Columbia, Canada

We bought the house new in 2008 with a Tempstar furnace installed by the builder (neighbor had identical furnace). My blower motor died in 2015, the week before Christmas (ironically the neighbor's furnace died a week before, over $3000.00 to repair; they bought a new furnace). I chose to replace the motor and module, just under $1600.00. There is no saving of money with this unit. Would never recommend this furnace to anyone.
Date created: 2016-01-27 Name: Jeff Beaudin
Location: Pinconning, MI

"It doesn't matter what brand it is."
I worked in the wholesale business for over 25 years and I sold many brands including Carrier, Comfort Maker, Ruud, Kelvinator, Philco, etc. I've been to many tech courses and all of them indicate most failures are lack of maintenance, Did you hear that, most homeowners do not call a heating contractor unless there's a problem. Do you maintain your car? Of course you do. The same with your furnace and you will be surprised how long it lasts. Once a year is fine.
Date created: 2015-11-16 Location: Buffalo, NY

"Good Economy Model"
I've been living in my apartment for almost five years now, so I know the ins and outs of this furnace, though it's hard to know how much the furnace is to blame or the duct-work and insulation. It keeps the house warm and the bills pretty low. That's pretty much my only concern in a furnace. If I had any complaints about it, then those are basically that it doesn't seem to have a fast pick up.