Consumer Reviews of SEARS furnaces

Read more about SEARS furnaces

Date created: 2016-10-13 Name: JJK
Location: Frederick, MD

"Why are you using Sears?"
Sears is a great place to go buy underwear or end of season clothing but why would someone go to a department store to buy a heating and cooling system for their home? Would you go to a plumber to buy your steak for dinner? That Sears rep who wants you to buy the new furnace and AC system is going down the street to sell a deck or new windows after he leaves your home. Smarten up people and use an HVAC contractor. That's their business and they don't sell underwear, decks or windows.

Date created: 2013-11-23 Name: angela roberts
Location: tumwater washington

"Furnace Hasn't Worked,I'm Mad"
I too wish I would have looked at this site. It's been a week since Sears had their installers who live 2 hours away install the $4,800.00 furnace. It hasn't worked since day 1. The installer came to put a thermostat in saying that was the issue. The furnace is gas, he was telling my mom it has to warm up, that it's fixed. It was never blowing warm air and now when you turn off the heater, that doesn't work. The air conditioning is on!! It's 23 degrees out. My mom has breast cancer and in radiation 5xs a week, and it's winter and has no heat at 70 years old and fighting breast cancer. SHAME on you Sears!! I want Sears to get this furnace out of my mom's house and I won't ever buy anything from Sears for as long as I live. Treating senior citizens like this, it's a crime. That man knew that heater wasn't working and lied to her and she can't even turn it off. I'm appalled! And I'm disgusted they could allow this to happen, and they have for repair is a call center. Well check it out, I'm posting this info to anyone and everyone to warn them. I'm emailing the news, the local paper. Maybe if they were blasted for their severe lack of professional ethics, they might actually do something. How would they like it if it was their elderly parent fighting cancer with no heat in there home?

Date created: 2012-10-07 Name: Stanton Morris
Location: Eugene, Oregon

"Bizaar Experience"
Things started out very "Sears-like" with a seemingly knowledgeable and professional sales pitch. Everything in between was your worst used-car salesman nightmare. The installation price negotiated with the salesman turned out to be a low ball bait and switch scam. It was subject to the approval of the installation manager. He upped the price by 30% immediately after the contract was signed. I was never told exactly what I was getting. The price skyrocketed every time I asked about about something. It was exactly like the joke about buying car and finding out the motor, tires and transmission were extra. Only in this case it was duct work and plenum that were extra. And not cheap. The initial bid of about $7k would have wound up being closer to $20k if I hadn't backed out. They tried to gouge me a 30% cancellation fee. I contacted Sears' home office and got with a full refund about thirty days later. Sears should get clean up their act or get out of the furnace business.

Date created: 2012-03-10 Name: Lisa

"Worst service"
I wish I came this website sooner. It's too late to return the Kenmore furnace I purchased last October. My problem is so similar to Cindy's, never properly turned, won't go to 2nd stage, only increase 1 degree per hour. Sear's contractor (only one person in my area) is very rude and incompetent, exactly like other reviewers said. He returned with wrong part days later, then replaced with the right one a week later, but it won't fix the problem, so he adjusted blower from lowest speed set up when it was installed to the highest speed, it seemed worked. We wake up early morning next day by the noisy of furnace. The contractor came in and said it's fine for him, he heard louder ones than this.

Date created: 2012-01-30 Name: Cindy
Location: IL

"Loudest furnace, worst service"
Buyers beware, Sears has the worst furnaces and the worst service. It was just one problem after another. First, it was installed wrong and never properly tuned. The two-stage furnace would continually stay in the first stage and would only increase the temp in our home by 2 degrees. Then, when the handyman finally came, he discovered that he had ordered the wrong parts. Next, when the previous problem had finally been fixed, the furnace was so loud that my kids, husband, and I woke up in the middle of the night. When we had a Sears repairman come check out the problem, he told us it was normal and there was nothing he could do. I've never heard of anyone with a furnace that was so loud it'll make your ears ring....

Date created: 2011-11-27 Location: Cleveland, Ohio

"One of the worst purchases ever."
If you find loud fan noise relaxing or are completely deaf and in addition don't care about comfort, this is the furnace for you. Otherwise, don't even consider this furnace which is named the "Dependable Ninety-two". This thing never shuts up. It has a 2-stage fan motor which cycles on and off continuously. That you can depend on. You could live with it if it provided comfortable heat, but it doesn't. To be fair, I live in Minneapolis in an older house with minimal wall insulation and insulated attic. Just the same, I'm fed up with forced-air furnaces. It seems everywhere I go, whether private homes or some stores, there's a fan noise coming from the ductwork. The local Whole Foods store is the worst. Standing underneath one of their ceiling vents feels like being behind a jet plane about to take off. I'm not making this up. I'm amazed these things haven't been made illegal. I'll be shopping for radiant baseboard hot water heating system with a high efficiency boiler. No fan required!

Date created: 2011-03-09 Name: Lori Lucero
Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado

"Sears, run the other way"
We purchased a Carrier furnace from Sears in January for $4800, this was supposed to be top of the line. When we signed the paperwork for the furnace we had no heat in our house and they promised us at the signing they would be here to install the new unit in 3 days, it took 10 days of no heat in our house before they finally came. The unit worked for 4 weeks then shuts off by itself and blows out cold air, we called Sears they said to reset the unit which we did. It ran again for 1 week before shutting off in the middle of the night, called Sears, they said to reset it, did that and it shut off again in 2 hours, we now have no heat in our house and they won't be here for 5 days. We have a $4800 unit and no heat. The manager in Denver refuses to call us back, called his manager, he won't call back, there is no corporate phone number, you can only write to them, big deal that's a big help. At this point we have 90 days to change our minds about this unit from Sears, which we will be doing, Sears come get your junk out of our house, Sears has horrible products and customer service, run, don't walk away from Sears.

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Sarah V.
Location: Lansing, MI

"Huge waste of time"
Our family decided that the furnace had lived long enough. After 29 years, it was bound to crash soon. We built a list of contractors and put Sears on the list because they have been in business for a long time, and I thought they were a trustworthy company. The guys came out to give us a quote and they seemed nice. They walked through our house to get a proper measurement and count vents. Everything seemed fine until they sat down to 'run the numbers'. They arrived at our house at 7:30pm and didn't leave until 11pm! Then, at the end they gave us a quote of over $10k for a single stage furnace and and AC unit. We have a small craftsman bungalow. Since this was the first quote we got, we got concerned that it would cost more than we thought, but subsequent quotes came in at around $4k less! On top of that, the salesmen tried to pressure us with an 'initial visit discount'. It was rediculous!! In hindsight, we should have kicked them out within the hour. We are still fuming!!

Date created: 2011-01-06 Name: Jose Palmieri
Location: Minneapolis, MN

"Worst purchase in my life"

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: J Smith
Location: Columbia, MD

"Terrible - unrepairable and only four years old"
I purchased a Sears Kenmore furnace and heat pump to the tune of $5,000 a mere four years ago. My local electric company is unable to repair the furnace - they have ordered almost every part but I still have no heat after three weeks. I now have to spend another $5,000 to purchase a new furnace. I will never buy a Sears product or service again. No wonder they are going out of business!