Consumer Reviews of RUUD furnaces

Read more about RUUD furnaces

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: Craig Rule

"Ruud HVAC is great"
I expect that most people only review if they have had problems, but I installed a Ruud 90% furnace and air conditioner when I built my house in 1987. I have never done anything but change the air filters in the furnace. The air conditioner evaporator coil finally sprung a leak last summer. I had it replaced during the winter and I believe the repairman (who wanted to sell me a new unit) did something wrong when he installed the new coil. Two weeks later, I began having trouble with the compressor. So now, in order to get the government rebate, I had to replace a perfectly good furnace along with the ac unit. I hate to do it because both units have been great! I hope the new one will be as reliable as the last one.

Date created: 2010-06-05 Name: Jones Andrew

"Onwer"
Very good

Date created: 2010-05-25 Name: H. Russell

"Happy With Ruud"
I had my Ruud heat and air system installed 17 years ago after a tornado did a number on my house. The unit has performed flawlessly for the entire time and is still running summer. Looking to upgrade and will definitely go with another Ruud.

Date created: 2010-03-04 Name: Pissed off person

"Whisper quite 80"
Bought this house in 1998, had a Ruud furn in it, worked fine until 2004 when the board went, 2005 new board. Thought might be the tech so tried a different company. The board went again 2006. Called Ruud rep, he said my furn was modified and wiring was wrong that was why the board kept blowing. Talked me into buying a new furnace in 2007. It is now 2010 and the board just blew. I want to find the rep so that I can install furnace up his ass.

Date created: 2010-02-17 Name: M. Smith

"Lemon Rudd Furnace"
How many parts can a furnace require? How many nights will go cold? How many service men can I meet at night before this process gets old? How many debts can these parts cause our home, defining a lemon in the hold? The answer my friend is "Ruud" fails again. I'm buying another brand this morning. Too tired after being up all night to rhyme that last one... This furnace is 10 years old and this is my third winter with it.

Date created: 2010-01-18 Name: El Koelder

"Ruud Furnace"
From the time this furnace has been installed, I have had almost an annual problem with it. It seems that it doesn't seem to want to fire up (heat). It has been an unpleasant battle to have a service call and then the thing decided to work while the service person is hear and then it will work for a while. However, I can be assured that the next heating period, it will require some type of maintenance. It is now to the point that I'm seriously thinking of replacing the unit and you can only imagine that it will not be with another Ruud. In fact, I may just place it in my lawn for all to see just how good it looks but needed to bereplaced because of failure to perform.

Date created: 2010-01-16 Name: A Tucker

"Great Furnace"
Love this furnace. Easy to change filters and no maintenance. The thermostat is awesome. Highly recommend this furnace to anyone needing to replace their old one.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Jim Clark

"Ruud service"
The biggest problem with the furnaces acting up, it usually pertains to the installation. A couple of things you can do is take the side plug out to let the furnace recieve more combustion air. Alot of the problems with the pressure switches is water backing up in them and inadequate venting. If your furnace is vented with 2" pvc and has alot of turns, it most likely will act up. Bigger venting allows more air in and more air out, the shortest distance possible is something we always try to achieve, they seem to have less problems with shorter distances and bigger vent pipes. Most likely if its acting up a lot, something wasn't done right from the get go.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: S. King

"Ruud Modulating Furnace"
We love our Ruud Modulating Furnace! I would recommend this furnace to anyone! When properly installed (because of it's high technology, it does require special training). It is the best furnace out there. Even won Consumer Digest top honors! We replaced our 25 year old Ruud with a Ruud. The best thing you can do for your return on investment is have your unit maintained each and every year! We did this on our older furnace and only replaced due to tax credits and consumer rebates that were being offered at the time. My last gas bill was only $40. Yes, $40!!! One thing our HVAC tech told us is to make sure you run your fan constantly; this allows constant air flow throughout your home. And no, my electric bills are not out of line. Love the Ruud products and will continue to purchase them!

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: T. Freeze

"DO NOT BUY A RUDD FURNACE"
My grandparents live in a 900 sq foot house that was heated by oil for many years. In the late 1980s, they finally had natural gas installed and had the most well respected HVAC contractor in our county install a Ruud gas pack. They had this furnace for about 14 years and in that time had to have the heat exchanger replaced 3 times at over $1000 parts and labor each time. The last time the furnace went out in November 2001, the heat exchanger had been replaced in February of the same year. The HVAC contractor was called each time that the heat exchanger was replaced and each time they checked the airflow and the ducts and they were not blocked in any way. My grandfather told them to replace the furnace because he and I felt that it was a waste of money to replace the heat exchanger again. We had a new Ruud gas pack installed in 2001 and all new ducts and returns because the code had changed and where we had the old furnace was too close to our property line now, (10 feet). This new furnace has never properly heated the house. It would come on, get the house hot as Hades and then turn off. Gas bill for a 900sq ft house that had no other gas appliances $600 plus a month. Needless to say, they blamed the house for not being insulated well enough, even though we have added insulation to our attic, had new Vinyl siding installed and had triple pane Vinyl windows installed. We turned the furnace on this October and it will not come on. Called service and they yet again found a cracked heat exchanger and a burned up control board. The heat exchanger had a 14-inch long crack that was 1/2 inch wide. I watched them take it out to make sure they were not feeding me a line of bull. They told me that Ruud had recalled all the heat exchangers due to a defect. The bad ones are aluminum and galvanized metal welded together and the replacement is stainless steel. They said the bad exchanger cracks at the weld seam. Never again will I buy RUUD. Four almost five heat exchangers since 1987 is enough for me. Stick with Trane.