Consumer Reviews of RUUD furnaces

Read more about RUUD furnaces

Date created: 2017-02-13 Name: Dan
Location: St. Louis, MO

"Too noisy"
Heats and cools well. But the noise when the heat starts up is terrible.

Date created: 2017-01-20 Name: A Markus
Location: Westlake, OH

"A very loud furnace"
This furnace works well, and if it was not loud I would not write this review. The furnace starts like a small jet engine that turns into a constant hum. The company that installed it said we would get used to the sound and it was nothing but airflow. Some airflow since the furnace we got rid of had no hum and did have airflow and frankly was quiet compared to the Ruud unit. It seems there is nothing one can do about this except suggest that anyone buying one should look around for a unit that is quiet so they do not have to get use to the hum.

Date created: 2016-12-27 Name: Martin Yates
Location: Auburn, Ontario

"Do NOT buy a Ruud!"
Motor is shot after 22 months. As it is a proprietary part that is inter- connected a temporary one is not possible. This being a statutory holiday, there isn't any possibility for a repair until tomorrow. Fortunately,n it is only -2c. We did not choose this brand our heating installation company foisted it upon us. I'd have chosen a Keeprite, Carrier, Lennox or York. I'll tell everyone not to buy Rudd. I work for a modular home firm and will be sure that Ruud is never specified for one of our customers' houses.

Date created: 2016-10-25 Name: mark shinewald
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

"Disappointment"
For the first few years, the furnace worked great. For the last 5 years the furnace totally stops working in the middle of winter, no heat. Every fall, I have a furnace specialist clean and inspect the furnace. No issues. However the furnace fails due to a vacuum hose that plugs. The fix is very easy. Pull the rubber hose off the two ends, blow out the hose and insert a 3 inch long narrow screwdriver into one end (the left hole) and turn. Replace the hose and the furnace starts working immediately. This is totally unacceptable for a furnace to fail 1-3 months after a tuneup. The furnace specialist who deals with Ruud has stated to me that the fault is a manufacturer glitch and that there is no fix. This does not help me at all. Why can't Ruud fix or replace their faulty unit?

Date created: 2016-09-28 Name: steve
Location: Southside, AL

"Disappointed In Ruud"
I bought this Ruud gaspack because of the construction of the heat exchanger being stainless steel with a limited lifetime warranty. The heat exchanger is the weak link in these type systems as our two previous systems failed because of heat exchanger cracks. Enter the Ruud. It works well with lower heat/AC bills but, the unit is rusting from the inside out. The cabinet inside (burner compartment) has rust running from the burner location, down the wall, along the floor and out the compartment cabinet. I had the factory rep and the installer out for a look but nothing was done. I called again this month (September 2016) with the same basic reply. Buyer beware of Ruud/Rheem products. It doesn't make sense to pay for stainless and have the rest of the unit rust away.

Date created: 2016-05-10 Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Very warm and quick working, while being efficient."
I've owned the furnace I have for a bit over two years. I like that it is efficient and low maintenance. I have a fairly large house and it is able to warm the entire building quickly. Additionally, the Ruud U802V is very quiet. I had a Ruud furnace that died after about 25 years, however, I was confident in the Ruud brand when it came time for a replacement. The original did not ever require servicing which played a large factor in my recent purchase. I'm not technical enough to fully understand, or explain why the first one failed, but I've had not issues with the replacement. I would not have any problems recommending the Ruud U802V to a friend or family member. The reliability across the two devices makes me more than comfortable with providing such a recommendation to really anybody. For me a reliable furnace is one that works when you need it and requires no further thought the rest of the time.

Date created: 2016-03-21 Name: Brian Hartley
Location: Montrose, MI

"Won't ignite"
Furnace installed 2011 by ******** Heating and have to pull rubber hoses off every two weeks or so, then reinstall them to get it to work (maybe). Was told by them it has a one-year warranty but have learned since it has 5 years from the factory but can't find anyone to work on it. Being a senior citizen, I have little money to throw away and am very sorry I bought the furnace. Will never buy another nor use ******** Plumbing and Heating from Birch Run, Michigan.

Date created: 2015-10-24 Name: R Clark
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

"Requires repair every year"
Purchased this in 2008 and every year since we have required a service because the unit has stopped working. We have the unit inspected every year in the fall yet every year by January it requires repair - the only saving grace is we purchased an extended warranty so thus far the repair calls have been without charge. Ruud used to have a good name but frankly I wouldn't buy another of their products period.

Date created: 2015-10-02 Location: Kings Park NY

"Review of My Furnace"
I am very satisfied with my Ruud furnace. I had the unit installed 3 years ago after my older unit was leaking water. The heating guy recommended the furnace and I've been happy with it ever since. The unit provides us with plenty of heat without the large heating bill. The unit is in our basement and takes up very little space. We do not have a garage and store most things in the basement. A family member runs a gas company and told us Ruud makes a reliable furnace and a great price. I don't know a lot about furnaces but I really have no complaints at all to report. The guy installed the unit in one day and we've been getting plenty of heat ever since. The winters here on Long Island can get very cold and so far we've been warm and cozy the past 3 winters. We have not needed a repair as it's only been 3 years but I would recommend the furnace to anyone that asked.

Date created: 2015-03-17 Name: chris smith
Location: Wisconsin

"Problem after problem"
If I had the money I would remove this and buy something else. We have frozen in the winter too many times. First it was a circuit board. Then the flame sensors like 3 times. Then a poor design where bugs get in the hose that it drips out of, that caused water to back up and put out the flame. Now it was white crud in the inducer that the guy said was a common thing. I came from a house where the furnace was not touched for 15 years, then my house was good for 6 years. I get this one and I am heatless and I see the repair guy more than my grandparents. My old furnace was fine, only after they installed this one did they realize wires were exposed and turning it off as well as the one they just installed.