Consumer Reviews of Rheem furnaces

Read more about Rheem furnaces

Date created: 2010-07-27 Name: Hubert

"Installed in 1997 - Criterion 2"
Have never had to call Rheem. Local dealer/installer has been great. Called them after a few years when unit failed to heat. They explained it was either the ignitor or flame sensor and how to diagnose and fix myself if I wanted to. Too easy to do myself and not worth the service call expense. Every 2-3 years, the flame sensor needs to have carbon wiped off with a rag (1 screw to remove). Replaced the ignitor once at 8-9 years old. Pretty sure the part was under $50 from dealer. Installed myself in a few minutes. Anyone could do it with a flashlight and screwdriver. I understand life expectancy on any modern furnace is 15-25 years. Furnace is fine today, but I'm replacing this week with a new one along with a heat pump because 31 year old a/c unit just died. If I add a new furnace to the deal you taxpayers give me $1500 back thanks to Obama's economic stimulus plan. I also get $900 in rebates from Rheem and Elec Co. Can't beat that. Whatever you buy, find a reputable installer!!!

Date created: 2010-07-11 Name: Scott

"I got Rheemed"
Bought a house that was 7 years old. Within a week, the Rheem furnace quit working on a Friday night. I thought it was because my wife did not know how to set the programmable thermostat in our new house. The problem was with the furnace itself. I called my father, who is an HVAC repairman. He walked me through a troubleshooting procedure and we managed to identify a bad hot surface ignitor. After one cold night, I found one locally the next day, and payed dearly for it. Installed it myself and was back in business. A year later, the costly replacement part failed again in the exact same spot. This time, I bought two so I have a spare (and got them at a big discount this time). Neighbors have had the exact same problem and have had repair bills close to $400 for this. Did I mention that I am on my third circuit board? The first time the board went out, I was out of town. Apparently, the ac condenser kept running while the rest of the air handler quit. As a result, the compressor overheated and was destroyed. So a small circuit board took out my whole ac unit. I am going to replace this furnace and ac before it fails again.

Date created: 2010-05-18 Name: J. Lasken

"Rheem is junk"
Damn thing is only 6 years old. The last furnace was 25 years old when it needed more than a cleaning. They don't make them like they used to.

Date created: 2010-05-17 Name: Mike Arnold

"Rheem sucks"
This unit has been nothing but problems since day 1. It has had almost everything replaced in it but the fan. That will probably go next.

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: C. Davis - Atlanta

"What the heck?"
I had three companies quoted me a Trane to replace my old Rheem unit which is 27 yrs old (and had no prior problems). When I looked at customer reviews, the Trane did not bode well. When I looked at Rheem reviews, it seems no one like Rheem as well. So, what the heck? Which should I go for? Sounds like the quality across the board has gone down.

Date created: 2010-05-03 Name: LeBon

"Rheem"
Bought our house new in 1983. I have had Rheem air conditioner since 1984. One repair 2 years ago, I believe it is now just died. I guess this one was a keeper.

Date created: 2010-03-22 Name: Mr. & Mrs. Larry Milner

"VERY LOUD !!!!!!"
We are extremely unhappy with our electric furnace!!! It was fine when we had it installed and then about a week later, it was laboring as if the motor was running backwards when starting up. We called the company that we bought it from and they replaced it three times!!! It didn't help the problem. He said there was nothing he could do. We can't sleep at nights because of the noise of the blower. It sounds like a helicopter. We can hear the clicking of the timers as well, and right before the furnace comes on, the thermostat in our hallway makes a loud pop!!!! We have to turn the tv up loud when the furnace is running.

Date created: 2010-03-19 Name: J. F.

"Happy in Oregon"
We are about ready to take the plunge and buy a new high efficiency furnace. The one we currently own is a Rheem; still going strong after 33 years and it has never failed. Reading the reviews, regardless of the brand, the new models all seem to have problems of some sort. Makes me wonder if replacing our old trusty Rheem, regardless of whether or not it's efficient as today's new models, is something we are going to regret.

Date created: 2010-03-02 Name: Mark

"Rheem furnace 90 plus 95%"
One reason I bought this furnace is because it was advertised as one of the quietest furnace on the market. It's so loud you have to talk over it. The service people told me that's as low as it goes.

Date created: 2010-01-03 Name: J R Hahn

"I LOVE THEM ALL"
I have been installing Rheem/Ruud equipment for over 15 years. I have a 2 ton 13 seer heat pump on the 2nd floor and a 60mbh 90% modulating furnace on the first floor. I must say, I do love them all!