Consumer Reviews of Rheem furnaces

Read more about Rheem furnaces

Date created: 2010-12-20 Name: Mike T.

"Am I on an airplane??"
My mother and I have inherited my grandparents home and have been living in it for the past year. When I grew up here, I remember the old Sears furnace they had. It was rather large, but it did a great job, plus the thing lasted for over 30 years. Back in the early 2000's, the blower motor went and it had to be replaced. They purchased a Rheem Criterion. I couldn't believe how much smaller it was compared to the old furnace, that I actually didn't think it would heat the house properly. As a matter of fact, it does a good job and has been relatively maintenance free for nearly 10 years. The only complaint I have is the noise. It is so loud! This is an old Chicago bungalow, so it's located in the basement. I never remember hearing the old furnace except for the air quietly humming through the duct work. Now, I feel like every time the thing kicks on, we're preparing for take off! When the ignitor starts, the fan motor, which is separate from the blower motor and I assume pulls the exaust out through the chimney, it literally sounds like a jet engine starting up. Then, when the burners ignite, there is a loud click that seems to echo, through the house. Are all newer furnaces this noisy?

Date created: 2010-12-01 Name: T. Reed
Location: Jeffersonville, IN

"Another problem!"
I've had the circuit board and igniter replaced within the last 3 years and now I am going to have to do it again. Very unhappy with the quality of this furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: D Webber
Location: Toronto ON

"Rheem 95% DC VARIABLE"
We bought Rheem furnace last year from one of dealer. It works perfect, and saving my money compare to my old 30 years furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-14 Name: B. Lorenz
Location: Muskegon, Mi 49441

"Furnace mayhem"
I have 2 Rheem furnaces in my home and it is amazing the difference between the two. The newest one has had a new ignitor every year since I got this piece of crap. The heat that comes from it is nil compared to the other one. The bad part is, they are both the same exact furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-09 Name: C Milliron
Location: Pa

"Gets the Boot"
Two loud , always fixing finally its getting the boot had eought

Date created: 2010-10-22 Name: Wendy
Location: Uniontown Oh

"Never Buy A Rheem!"
Have a Rheem 2-step that is only 7 yr old. It replaced our furnace that was 25 yr old, & if it were up to me, we would have already replaced this one! It has been Constant trouble since day one.Many mornings we have woken up to a freezing cold house. Though some of those times, it just was the sensor needed cleaned off. But that happens so frequently I wonder why they made the doggone thing SO sensitive! & it's very hard to get to in order to clean it. I think we have had at least 1 repair every yr. The recent repair job we had, the control panel & motor blew costing us over $1000! Since we had already put at least $650 into this furn., I tried to talk my hubby into just buying a new 1 & counting our losses, but he wouldn't agree to that. So, I guess we'll see how many mo till our next repair!

Date created: 2010-09-10 Name: J Goeke
Location: Union Springs, NY

"High efficiency"
3 years ago I replaced a 25 year old unit with 82% efficiency with a Rheem. LP bills went down so much I had to get smaller tanks to keep the propane people happy. The unit runs clean. No trouble. The fan is more powerful that the one in the old system and is single speed so I didn't expect it would be quiet. It does warm the house right up. So far so good. I agree that the quality of the installer makes a huge difference.

Date created: 2010-09-09 Name: A. Reinsch

"Very good furnace"
I have a Rheem furnace. It is so much more quite than my old furnace I just don't even know it is running. I believe this may be the best furnace ever. The company that installed it has called to see how everything is going. It has been five years without a miss. Thanks Rheem.

Date created: 2010-09-01 Name: R Boyce
Location: CROGHAN, NY

"Rebate ripoff"
I recently purchased a new 95% high efficiency Rheem furnace which is listed as having a $200 rebate. The problem I'm having is that Rheem will not honor the rebate because it was not purchased from one of their authorized dealers. I live more than 75 miles from the nearest qualified dealer and it is thus unrealistic to have had them install and then service the furnace. I have tried to deal with the Rheem representatives to no avail.Class action?

Date created: 2010-07-27 Name: Hubert

"Installed in 1997 - Criterion 2"
Have never had to call Rheem. Local dealer/installer has been great. Called them after a few years when unit failed to heat. They explained it was either the ignitor or flame sensor and how to diagnose and fix myself if I wanted to. Too easy to do myself and not worth the service call expense. Every 2-3 years, the flame sensor needs to have carbon wiped off with a rag (1 screw to remove). Replaced the ignitor once at 8-9 years old. Pretty sure the part was under $50 from dealer. Installed myself in a few minutes. Anyone could do it with a flashlight and screwdriver. I understand life expectancy on any modern furnace is 15-25 years. Furnace is fine today, but I'm replacing this week with a new one along with a heat pump because 31 year old a/c unit just died. If I add a new furnace to the deal you taxpayers give me $1500 back thanks to Obama's economic stimulus plan. I also get $900 in rebates from Rheem and Elec Co. Can't beat that. Whatever you buy, find a reputable installer!!!