Consumer Reviews of Rheem furnaces

Read more about Rheem furnaces

Date created: 2012-10-16 Name: marty f
Location: airmont NY

"Good furnace"
I bought a Rheem furnace about 6 years ago. After a few years the furnace would start up and then shut down. Called a "reputable" repairman who said my damper motor was bad and replaced it for close to $300. A few years later the same problem occurred. I went on to the internet and postings suggested it was the sensor. I then went on to you tube and someone posted a video on how to fix it. All you do is sand the sensor wire with fine sand paper to remove the carbon deposit. It now works great. Crooked repairman.

Date created: 2012-06-07 Name: N Breen
Location: Rhode Island

"Don't buy"
I just purchased a Rheem "Super Quiet 80" for my townhouse. It is so loud it sounds like a jet engine. Saw the same complaints on another site. Rheem just didn't care and so me, like many others, are stuck with this garbage product. So sad that companies advertise falsely and don't stand behind their own product. Buy something else.

Date created: 2011-11-17 Name: suzanne
Location: Milwaukee, WI

"Horrible."
It's once again a balmy 58 degrees in my house. I have had this stupid Rheem furnace for 6 years, and it only worked well the first month. I've had the installers out multiple times each year, and nothing. The damn thing just works when it feels like it -- it starts up, the fan goes, the pilot light fires up, and then the actual furnace part decides to shut down. horrible. I think it's ridiculous that a freaking $2500+ furnace hasn't even lasted this long. Again, I say - HORRIBLE.

Date created: 2011-10-31 Name: Carolina Bob
Location: Upstate SC

"You CAN stop a Rheem"
Unit purchased 12/01 and about a year after warranty expired, pressure switch began to malfunction. Installer thought it might be due to water back-up from condensation line and cleaned it twice. Third time I told him to replace the switch. This was about four or less years ago. Now the same thing is happening again. Waiting on installer to check it out, but probably the same thing. Ironically, he had just checked the system two weeks ago. Have a Tempstar gas-pack for another section of house that is 18 years and never had any problems whatsoever with it.

Date created: 2011-06-16 Location: Detroit, MI

"Ian King Furnace Review"
I have had this furnace in my home since we moved into it in 1998. What I like about the furnace is that even though it is an older model, it was definitely built to last as I have not had a single problem with it in the whole 13 years of living in my home. It keeps my home very warm. I dislike the fact that we use more gas than newer furnace models do with it being older, but even that isn't so bad because I know a newer model wouldn't last nearly as long without giving me problems. As I stated above, it has never needed to be repaired or replaced. I would definitely recommend this furnace to anyone who was shopping for furnaces, but with it being an older model, I don't know how lucky they would be in acquiring one. However, I am very satisfied with mine and if given the chance I would buy again.

Date created: 2011-06-09 Name: N. MacDonald

"Always something"
Always seem to need to repair something. Thankgoodness for the maintenace onctract otherwise I'd be out major bucks. Its still not free, I put on average $200 per years into replairts, Its comming off warrenty so I'm worried about what lies in the future. Problems include: Ignitors(twice), Blower Motor, wiring(never got a clear explanation), thermocouple, flame issues(uneven), leaking condensor, capacitor on A/C, coolant leak, compressor motor pulling too many amps(they arnlt sure why - other than to tell me it probably failing)...ugghh enough!

Date created: 2011-06-09 Name: H. Hall
Location: Ohio

"Seeking the truth"
This is the best by far the worse quality you could buy for dollar per dollar on any brand of equiptment. I am a licensed contractor here in Ohio. To me Rheem relies on brand and not qulaity, More problems w/Rheem than any other brand and I've seen them all.

Date created: 2011-04-02 Location: Albany, NY

"Rheems are the greatest!"
I bought the Rheem furnace shortly after getting the Rheem tankless hot water heater. I was so happy with the name, that when it was time to replace the old furnace, a Rheem it was. I find it to be very efficient and fits our needs the best. I ended up getting a great deal on it too since I had gotten the water heater from the same place. I would recommend Rheem to anyone!!

Date created: 2011-03-20 Name: Robert
Location: Canada

"I am more then happy"
I owned this furnace since 1993. The only thing that went wrong was the ignitor which cost 40 bucks to replace. This was a reliable furnace and my only complaint was that it's is noisy.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: I. Dixon
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

"Mid-E and High-E = apples and oranges"
In Canada, you cannot purchase a mid efficiency furnace. Our old Rheem lasted 16 years before the board went. I decided to change it out, get a high efficiency unit, with a CD motor, variable output, stainless exchanger. Big big difference in quietness. As DC motors eat far less energy and run cooler than the AC in my old single-stage mid, it should be much better than the older designs. We shall see!