Consumer Reviews of Rheem furnaces

Read more about Rheem furnaces

Date created: 2017-03-02 Name: E. Matheny
Location: Farmington, NM

"Dissatisfied customer"
Had my furnace installed on January 31, 2014 and have had trouble with it since day one. There is an oil filled piece inside that initially smokes up your house once the unit is turned on for the first time. It did this but never stopped. Was always smelling this odor and constant burning of our eyes. When unit was turned back on in October 2014, it set off smoke detectors again. Service company came out and totally removed furnace and found oil all over the fire box where this piece of equipment had completely leaked all the oil out. They cleaned it and replaced parts and reinstalled same furnace. January 2016 had to replace 1/2 horse power motor with capacitor and limit switch. Parts were covered, but I had to pay $300 for service charges. January 2017, less than a year later, had to have motor replaced again at a cost of $161. Almost $500 in last year for service charges. Original furnace in this house ran for over 30 years and all I ever had to do was change filters regularly. Whats wrong with this picture.

Date created: 2017-01-20 Name: Kenneth Schroeder
Location: Gardnerville, NV

"Worst furnace ever"
I had this 96% efficient furnace installed 6 years ago because I wanted to add an air conditioner and figured I would replace my 26 year old Rheem furnace that I had never had a single problem with. That was a bad mistake. After less than 3 years the flame sensor needed to be replaced which required a service call. Now the middle of winter and as cold as it can be the crappy furnace goes out. Service man comes out and determines it is the multi speed blower motor. No one stocks these because they are so expensive. I was quoted just under $1100.00 for the motor by 2 different service companies. I have been without heat for almost 1 week now and the first company said 2 to 4 weeks to get the motor and the second company said 2 weeks to get the motor. This is by far the worst piece of crap I have bought and Rheem lives up to its name by reaming its customers on replacement. The only reason I am not replacing this piece of crap is that the furnace was warrantied for 10 years although I have to pay for the shipping of the motor and labor to have it installed.

Date created: 2016-12-20 Name: Thomas Mercaldo
Location: Hicksville, NY

"Unpleasant noise from exhaust vent pipe"
My next door neighbor had a Rheem RGRK-Series Model with an input rate of 120,000 btu installed. It vents horizontally out the side of their house opposite my bedroom. The noise being emitted was so loud it would keep me awake. When I would be in my detached garage (the opening 20 feet from the vent pipe) the noise could be sensed reverberating off the ceiling In the back of the garage more than 30 feet from the vent pipe. After numerous complaints to the Town of Oyster Bay, the Town had their outside engineering consultants investigate. The Town's outside engineering consultants measured the noise to be 74 decibels at 1 foot from the vent pipe (equivalent to a vacuum cleaner). The Town's outside engineering consultants determined the noise was not loud enough to harm my hearing and further determined the noise not to be a disturbance even though the furnace runs frequently throughout the night. I was informed that if the noise bothers me that I should install solid fencing or bushes. Well, I installed vinyl fencing and yet I am still affected by the noise. Not the loudness, rather for the sound that humans can not hear - infrasound. That reverberation inside my garage is a sign that there is infrasound, noise at or below 20 Hz. The infrasound of low frequency oscillating waves is causing headaches, ringing in my ears, my vestibular to pulsate, etc. The same effects many humans are having who live close to the huge wind turbines. Of course the Town will do nothing further to investigate. And, not surprising to me either, Rheem does not wish to listen to or involve themselves in their product because I am not the party who purchased the furnace, I am only the party whose life has been made miserable due to their product.

Date created: 2016-09-13 Name: Brain Adams
Location: Marshall, IL

" New Classic furnace 95 %"
Has never run more than two months at a time without the repairman coming and fixing it. Should have bought a York furnace like my neighbor did.

Date created: 2016-07-12 Name: BRUCE A. SMITH
Location: East Syracuse, NY

"Like the furnace, bad installer"
Bought a Rheem furnace years ago, had an electrical lightning storm that ruined the furnace. I had another one installed, both furnaces were installed by ***** * **** of Syracuse NY. I have had trouble from the start with the blower motor making a noise. I was told you have to leave the filter out a ways and thus leave the cap off. Again I moved the filter out farther and have worried about dirt getting into the furnace and blower motor. Called numerous times. Better Business Bureau will be next. I am 77 and do not need this problem.

Date created: 2016-05-31 Location: Stratford, CT

"Long lasting brand"
Well I've owned this house for about 15 years, and the previous owner had it for 10 years so this furnace is 25 years old and still running good. It is low maintenance, so basically all you have to do is change the air filters once or twice a year. Once I called a technician because I thought it was broken but I didn't notice the on/off switch located next to a regular light switch was off, so the technician just turned the switch back on. I have never had any repairs done to it, it runs perfectly smooth. So other than that everything is good with my furnace. I will definitely recommend this brand to anyone.

Date created: 2016-05-21 Name: Mike Kirkpatrick
Location: Rosedale, British Columbia

"Fan failure"
Diagnosed as circuit board fault, still has not been fixed. Been without heat and A/C for about 1 1/2 weeks. Since initial start up of this unit the fan has been very low through duct work. My concern is this product is not even listed in your Series section, not sure what I got here.

Date created: 2016-04-15 Location: Springfield, IL

"My review of my heater"
I have owned this furnace since 2013. I like that it is quiet and it seems to be fairly efficient. It effectively and efficiently heats my entire home evenly. I have never had to repair or replace this unit. I would recommend this unit to a friend because I think the negatives I see with it are more to do with the current configuration of my home than anything to do with the heating unit. The only negatives would be that there seems to be more than usual heat loss out of some windows and doors. A big factor in my positive review of my Rheem heating unit is that it is quiet. Living in central Illinois means cold winters and over the past few years it seems like we have had quite a few cold or very cold days, although this year was more mild. The unit I have in my home is always able to keep up while my utility bills stay manageable.

Date created: 2015-12-21 Location: Denver, CO

"Effective but noisy"
This furnace is much more fuel-efficient than my former one. The only drawback is that its fan makes a lot of noise.

Date created: 2015-12-18 Location: Tucson, AZ

"Average furnace for a three bedroom home in the desert."
I've had this Rheem brand furnace since I moved into my home 8 years ago. I love this furnace because I have never had a single issue with it. The furnace came with the house and in the 8 years I've been living here, it's worked perfectly every single day. I honestly can't say I have anything I dislike about it since I've never had reason too. When my father moved into his new home, we replaced the furnace that came with the home, with the exact same one I have in my house. The Rheem 21V50-2 is a solid, and reliable furnace.