Consumer Reviews of Rheem furnaces

Read more about Rheem furnaces

FurnaceCompare no bias towards or against any particular brand of heating and cooling equipment. Since 2002 our job has been to provide information, reviews and commentaries on equipment, not to tell you to buy one brand over another. Here's what you need to know about Rheem furnaces.

Rheem Furnace Series

Rheem presents their furnaces in three series, with several units in each series. The top end series, Prestige, offers five different units. The middle tier, Classic Plus, offers nine units, and the bottom tier, the Classic, offers six options. Prestige and Classic Plus units can reach 96% efficiency, while the highest efficiency Classic unit is 95% AFUE, so there is little difference in efficiency range, as each tier has a bottom efficiency model of 80% AFUE. The main difference is in technology, where most of the Prestige units are EcoNet ™ enabled. Other differences are in motors or design, though motor types are not consistent across series, so if you are keen to a certain type, look at each unit. All Classic Series come with permanent split capacitor motors (PSC). Classic Plus has PSC, electronic commutated motors (ECM) and Constant Torque ECM, while Prestige has ECM and variable speed motors.

Prestige

• Most are EcoNet ™ enabled
  • Also includes all listed below

Classic Plus

• PlusOne ™ Diagnostics
  • PlusOne ™ Ignition System
  • Higher efficiency units come with PlusOne ™ Water Management System

Classic

• Most models, particularly the higher efficiency units, are similar to the Classic Plus. We had a difficult time distinguishing any true difference, except where specific features do not come with a specific unit in a series.

Where are Rheem Furnaces made?

Rheem is the same as RUUD, as RUUD is owned by Rheem. Rheem is owned by Paloma Group, which is headquartered in Nagoya, Japan. Rheem itself is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with several plants within the United States. Their gas furnaces are manufactured in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Rheem-Specific Features

Rheem markets their EcoNet™, which is a smart thermostat. It has an app, which is compatible with Apple and Android, so the user can control their system from anywhere. Rheem also claims the user can place service calls with one click.

Another marketing item from Rheem is the Rheem-Exclusive PlusOne ignition system. This is Rheem’s direct ignition system. The company claims it to be one of the more reliable in the industry.

The industry-first PlusOne diagnostics marketed by Rheem is an LED display, which comes with a number of units. It is used for placing service calls.

The PlusOne water management is a sensor in the furnace. This is a safety mechanism. The sensor will shut off the furnace if a drain is blocked.

What do Heating Contractors Say?

Pros

• Contractors note Rheem durability, one said they are “ built to last,” while another said a unit was 17-years-old and they, “never touched it”
  • “Takes a back seat to nobody,” in regards to quality a contractor said.
  • “...that Econet control is slick for not a lot of loot,” a contractor said.
  • “Most reliable on the market,” a contractor said of Rheem.
  • “Service friendly,” said a contractor.

Cons

• One contractor called the warranty, “worthless,” and there are other mentions of this issue.
  • Another contracted noted, “all the hoops one has to jump through to deal with them.”
  • Contractors mentioned that Rheem is not as quiet as American Standard/Trane, one contractor noted the difference in the “fan blade or compressor protection pressure switches.”
  • Though there was some debate on this topic, one contractor claims Rheem technology lags specific to when EcoNet came out, “Rheem/Ruud units are 5 to 7 years behind the rest of the pack.” A different contractor countered with, ”Let's see, Rheem was the first 100% Copeland scroll in the early 90s, the first 34" furnace, the first tubular heat exchangers, the first direct spark in a modern inshot burner furnace and as beenthere [another contractor] said, way ahead of everyone on the modulating furnace.”

Date created: 2018-08-29 Name: Bill
Location: NorthCentral PA

"Furnace quit/no repairman"
My 95% efficiency Rheem quit at 4.5 years of age. It never really saved me anymore money than my 25-year-old Carrier oil furnace. When I bought it, the dealer said they’d install it, but won’t service it. Well, the salesman said nothing goes wrong with them - just keep the filter changed. I called a local repairman and he left, said he needed to call someone and he’d know what the error codes meant. That was 3 months ago - haven’t seen or heard from him since. I’m going to start chopping wood for my wood stove. What a waste of $5,500.

Date created: 2018-05-04 Name: W. Hikade, CPP
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

"Failure prone, service problems"
In December 2010 I installed an rgpn-05eauer furnace in a rental I own. I had a furnace failure in April 2014. The technician that performed service cleaned the flame sensing rod and recommended that it be cleaned every year. In December 2014 I started cleaning not only the flame sensor rod but also the igniter rod using the steel wool the technician recommended. In October 2017 I had another furnace failure this time it was an intermittent roll-out temperature sensor. After several service calls this was finally replaced. In April 2018 the furnace failed to operate again. A technician was called. He cleaned the flame sensor rod and informed me that we should have the flame sensor rod cleaned once a year. I informed him that I have been cleaning the flame sensor every December since 2014. The previous furnace had been installed and operating with no service problems since 1982. I would not recommend that you even consider using any type of Rheem furnace, unless you want to pay $94 every time you have a furnace failure.
Date created: 2018-04-21 Name: Ian Gomes
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Happy so far with Rheem"
We had a Rheem furnace installed in 2009. The following winter we had to call a technician in when it stopped working. He replaced the pressure sensor which was covered under warranty. Ever since then it's been running well. Only complaint about the furnace is that the fan is a bit noisy.
Date created: 2017-03-02 Name: E. Matheny
Location: Farmington, NM

"Dissatisfied customer"
Had my furnace installed on January 31, 2014 and have had trouble with it since day one. There is an oil filled piece inside that initially smokes up your house once the unit is turned on for the first time. It did this but never stopped. Was always smelling this odor and constant burning of our eyes. When unit was turned back on in October 2014, it set off smoke detectors again. Service company came out and totally removed furnace and found oil all over the fire box where this piece of equipment had completely leaked all the oil out. They cleaned it and replaced parts and reinstalled same furnace. January 2016 had to replace 1/2 horse power motor with capacitor and limit switch. Parts were covered, but I had to pay $300 for service charges. January 2017, less than a year later, had to have motor replaced again at a cost of $161. Almost $500 in last year for service charges. Original furnace in this house ran for over 30 years and all I ever had to do was change filters regularly. What's wrong with this picture.
Date created: 2017-01-20 Name: Kenneth Schroeder
Location: Gardnerville, NV

"Worst furnace ever"
I had this 96% efficient furnace installed 6 years ago because I wanted to add an air conditioner and figured I would replace my 26 year old Rheem furnace that I had never had a single problem with. That was a bad mistake. After less than 3 years the flame sensor needed to be replaced which required a service call. Now the middle of winter and as cold as it can be the crappy furnace goes out. Service man comes out and determines it is the multi speed blower motor. No one stocks these because they are so expensive. I was quoted just under $1100.00 for the motor by 2 different service companies. I have been without heat for almost 1 week now and the first company said 2 to 4 weeks to get the motor and the second company said 2 weeks to get the motor. This is by far the worst piece of crap I have bought and Rheem lives up to its name by reaming its customers on replacement. The only reason I am not replacing this piece of crap is that the furnace was warrantied for 10 years although I have to pay for the shipping of the motor and labor to have it installed.
Date created: 2016-12-20 Name: Thomas Mercaldo
Location: Hicksville, NY

"Unpleasant noise from exhaust vent pipe"
My next door neighbor had a Rheem RGRK-Series Model with an input rate of 120,000 btu installed. It vents horizontally out the side of their house opposite my bedroom. The noise being emitted was so loud it would keep me awake. When I would be in my detached garage (the opening 20 feet from the vent pipe) the noise could be sensed reverberating off the ceiling In the back of the garage more than 30 feet from the vent pipe. After numerous complaints to the Town of Oyster Bay, the Town had their outside engineering consultants investigate. The Town's outside engineering consultants measured the noise to be 74 decibels at 1 foot from the vent pipe (equivalent to a vacuum cleaner). The Town's outside engineering consultants determined the noise was not loud enough to harm my hearing and further determined the noise not to be a disturbance even though the furnace runs frequently throughout the night. I was informed that if the noise bothers me that I should install solid fencing or bushes. Well, I installed vinyl fencing and yet I am still affected by the noise. Not the loudness, rather for the sound that humans can not hear - infrasound. That reverberation inside my garage is a sign that there is infrasound, noise at or below 20 Hz. The infrasound of low frequency oscillating waves is causing headaches, ringing in my ears, my vestibular to pulsate, etc. The same effects many humans are having who live close to the huge wind turbines. Of course the Town will do nothing further to investigate. And, not surprising to me either, Rheem does not wish to listen to or involve themselves in their product because I am not the party who purchased the furnace, I am only the party whose life has been made miserable due to their product.
Date created: 2016-09-13 Name: Brain Adams
Location: Marshall, IL

" New Classic furnace 95 %"
Has never run more than two months at a time without the repairman coming and fixing it. Should have bought a York furnace like my neighbor did.
Date created: 2016-07-12 Name: BRUCE A. SMITH
Location: East Syracuse, NY

"Like the furnace, bad installer"
Bought a Rheem furnace years ago, had an electrical lightning storm that ruined the furnace. I had another one installed, both furnaces were installed by ***** * **** of Syracuse NY. I have had trouble from the start with the blower motor making a noise. I was told you have to leave the filter out a ways and thus leave the cap off. Again I moved the filter out farther and have worried about dirt getting into the furnace and blower motor. Called numerous times. Better Business Bureau will be next. I am 77 and do not need this problem.
Date created: 2016-05-31 Location: Stratford, CT

"Long lasting brand"
Well I've owned this house for about 15 years, and the previous owner had it for 10 years so this furnace is 25 years old and still running good. It is low maintenance, so basically all you have to do is change the air filters once or twice a year. Once I called a technician because I thought it was broken but I didn't notice the on/off switch located next to a regular light switch was off, so the technician just turned the switch back on. I have never had any repairs done to it, it runs perfectly smooth. So other than that everything is good with my furnace. I will definitely recommend this brand to anyone.
Date created: 2016-05-21 Name: Mike Kirkpatrick
Location: Rosedale, British Columbia

"Fan failure"
Diagnosed as circuit board fault, still has not been fixed. Been without heat and A/C for about 1 1/2 weeks. Since initial start up of this unit the fan has been very low through duct work. My concern is this product is not even listed in your Series section, not sure what I got here.