Consumer Reviews of Payne furnaces

• PG9 (6 reviews)
  • PG9M (2 reviews)

Date created: 2019-02-10 Name: MP
Location: Seattle, WA

"13 years and running strong"
I had my Payne 90% efficiency furnace installed in 2006, and it's operated perfectly since that time. I've had no issues of any kind, and (I hate to admit it), I've also had no sort of maintenance done since installation, other than periodically replacing the filters. I was online looking for information about what sort of maintenance is recommended, and came across this website and wanted to report my positive experience with the furnace since the two negative reviews were inconsistent with what I've encountered. Perhaps (as one reviewer mentioned) the problems were related to installation.

Date created: 2018-12-02 Name: S. Perinn
Location: Carson City, NV

"Good ol' furnace"
This Payne furnace has been in the house since I bought it in the early 1990'S. I didn't know much about furnace maintenance. Over the years the furnace has held up surprisingly well. Several techs. Have had a go at keeping it going from time to time, now I fix most of the problems. Other than replacing a relay, high limit switch and a new thermocouple, it plows through the cold northern Nevada winters well. Discovered these furnaces do not "like" high efficiency (hepa), type filters, it makes them run hot, so I use the cheapest, thinnest filters I can get and just change them out. The latest problem was the blower motor, but I can't blame the design as I didn't know you had to add lube from time to time to the motor. Thanksgiving morning I wake up to the smell of "motor smoke", the joys of home ownership. Fortunately after taking the blower assy. Out, removing the motor I was able to find a replacement locally the next day, didn't cost much either. The upside is the new motor is a 4-spd. Design(orig. Was a 3), so after a few hours of terminating the speed leads, fixing some modified wiring a few techs. Did along the way, I got it running through the terminal block(which has space in it for a 4 spd. Motor), the way it's supposed to be. Now I have a med. Hi setting, so as the heating season progresses I can manually go from low, med. Low to high if needed, use less electricity, and lower the "furnace" noise throughout the house. Seems like if you own a house long enough you learn how to fix everything whether you like it or not and all the parts to keep these older units running are still available. And it doesn't seem to be so inefficient on gas consumption(reasonably low operating costs), as to warrant a total replacement. One thing is for sure when this furnace is running right and I usually keep it set around 69 degrees(well insulated house, 1,200 sq. Ft.), you turn this thing up to 72 or 74 degrees (middle of winter/motor on hi), it will cook you out of the house, you can warn leftovers on the floor registers. So it's a keeper.
Date created: 2018-10-20 Name: Doug Short
Location: Mooresville

"Boat anchor"
Installer put the furnace in last winter, in my barn. Started flashing code 23 within a day. Installer was out here 6 times in 3 months. One time the squirrel cage came off the shaft. Fixed with lock tight. Then the squirrel cage became detached from its own centers. Basically self destructing. I would hope that the installer gets some kind of compensation from Payne because it shouldn't take 6 trips to make a furnace work.
Date created: 2018-05-23 Name: Brandon P
Location: Idaho falls, ID

"Cracked heat exchange"
Heat exchange cracked and started pumping Carbon Monoxide into my home. My own Carbon Monoxide Alarms went off and we had to evacuate my home. It was red tagged of course and they tested it at 3600 ppm for the co. If you are reading this look up what ppm is toxic on co and it will give you an idea of my feelings on this furnace.
Date created: 2018-04-10 Name: J mcgovern
Location: Ottawa

"Payne furnace"
I had my Payne furnace for 15 years and had it replaced with Another Payne furnace on March 23 , 2017. Got three companies To give me a quote. One was very low and 2 were much Higher. I went with one of the higher quotes as those Two companies were more professional And weíre more Knowledgeable. Payne is made by carrier- itís there brand they Sell to HVAC techs that donít have a carrier dealership.. They key is to have someone that knows what they are doing to Make sure the furnace is installed correctly. Poor installation is the Number one reason products fail or have constant problems.
Date created: 2018-02-03 Name: Gera

"Great furnace"
Installed in new home in 2000. It ran flawlessly every Idaho winter for just over 17 years. The only maintenance was regular filter change. It started leaking Carbon Monoxide, replacing with another Payne high efficiency furnace.
Date created: 2018-01-25 Name: Scott Madden
Location: Mahomet , IL

"JUNK!"
6 years old and the fan go out! Wtf..... Not under warranty because I'm the second owner! I'm throwing this shit out on the street and getting a Trane!
Date created: 2018-01-18 Name: R. Noble
Location: Madison, WI

"Will cost you more in long run."
Motor had intermittent failure after only two years. Codes aren't particularly helpful for this type of failure. Motor was covered under warranty, but diagnostic time amounted to 1/3 purchase price. Whatever savings realized by buying a Payne vs. A better known brand was eaten up by defective part replacement. No confidence in product. I expect more repairs in the near future.
Date created: 2017-04-18 Name: A. van den Enden
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

"Payne has been a two year pain. We are replacing a new furnace."
The repair company has done very well on us. The latest problem caused us to cut our losses and run.
Date created: 2017-02-09 Name: Jeff
Location: Mississauga

"Do not buy this furnace"
I got it installed in February 2017 and after three days it has stopped working. Something wrong with the pressure switch whenever it goes to the 2nd stage. There is a technical problem with the switch. I have to restart it again and again. Please do not waste your money, it's a big risk.