Consumer Reviews of Olsen furnaces

Read more about Olsen furnaces

Date created: 2015-12-04 Location: Lake Tahoe, CA

"Happily Warm and Cozy"
I've owned my furnace for about six months now. I installed it in my winter cabin up in the mountains. It is incredibly efficient and works wonderfully. It heats up the 2,000 square foot cabin entirely within thirty minutes. I wish there was a little more flexibility in the amount of heat put out, but other than that I am 100% happy with my purchase. It was a little more on the expensive side, but the extra cost was totally worth it.

Date created: 2015-10-19 Location: Attleboro, MA

"Keeps us cozy warm!!"
My Olsen furnace has been wonderful these last few winters. I live in New England and we can have some very cold days, however my family has stayed nice and warm. The furnace heats my 2000 square foot house with no problems. When we first purchased the Olsen Furnace we did have problems with it shutting down, while I don't remember what the exact issue was. The furnace was repaired quickly and at no cost to us. Since we had the furnace repaired five years ago we have not had any complaints about its performance. There is nothing that I can think of that I dislike about the Olsen furnace. When the furnace turns on it is not very loud and the heat comes up through the house very quickly and warms things right up. I would definitely purchase another Olsen furnace in the future and I would recommend the furnace to friends and family members.

Date created: 2015-05-01 Location: Berne, NY

"Oil furnace works well but is very expensive to run."
I have owned my furnace for about 6 months, since I moved into my new house. I like that it is reliable, it has always worked when I need it to, but I do not like how inefficient it is. It is an oil heater so it bad for the environment, and additionally uses a lot of oil to heat my house, which is very expensive. I was filling it once a month in the winter time. I did have the furnace serviced, everything was working properly so they cleaned it and changed the air filter. After the air filter was changed, it put out more air for the oil being burned, but still used the same amount of oil. I would not recommend this to a friend because if a friend was putting in a new furnace system, I would recommend an alternative to oil heating.

Date created: 2015-03-17 Name: B. Trotz
Location: Kelowna, Canada

"Positive"
Excellent, though I have not been able to compare it to anything else because this is my first and only one installed in 1975. I do light service on it which is basically a couple of drops of oil on the fan motor bushings every winter and that is it. And change filters. It works just fine.

Date created: 2015-02-07 Name: David Lick
Location: Dryden, Ontario

"Extremely reliable"
Fantastic furnace. Installed in 2002 and have never had any issues since. It runs like a dream.

Date created: 2015-01-28 Name: DLick
Location: Kelowna, BC

"Reliable"
Unlike modern day furnaces, this one has worked trouble-free for 17 years now. My only complaint is that the blower fan is a little noisy, which some people would not like but I find it kind of comforting.

Date created: 2015-01-02 Name: gregh gas tech
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"They are all the same"
No matter the brand, all of these high efficient, and even the 80% AFUE furnaces, suffer the same parts failures due to the reliance on so many temperamental sensors, switches and relays. As government mandates require higher AFUE ratings for gas furnaces, the makers have all adopted the same basic design and many use similar off-the-shelf pressure switches, flame sensors, igniters, inducer motors, etc. The more features, the greater number of parts to fail. The older furnaces with a standing pilot always rate the most reliable by far, likely because there was little in the way of serviceable parts to fail - just a thermocouple (average lifespan, 10 -19 years). The heat exchangers lasted much longer due to higher operating temperatures and far less corrosive condensate. A completely different design concept, really. Too bad things have changed. They can't build them like they used to; the government has forced the entire industry to change to what is available on the market today.

Date created: 2013-12-11 Name: Dm
Location: Ontario

"Jb Vancouver review"
I investigated this situation. It turns out jb hired a non licensed contractor for his install. The hack bypassed the gas meter and had 2lbs gas pressure to the furnace. Lucky he did not blow up his house. Next time jb before hire a hack to save a dollar and put your family and neighbours at risk do some research and hire a qualified licensed installer.

Date created: 2013-10-01 Name: JB
Location: Vancouver Canada

"Dangerous Exploding Inducer Motor"
My inducer motor exploded after 1 week and the replacement lasted 3 months. If you have an Olsen, get the motor checked, co leaks can kill. I would never buy another one. The motor housing is cheap plastic, should be metal like others.

Date created: 2013-01-14 Name: Steve
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Noisy, But Ran for 12 Years Problem Free"
We have an Olsen EMP080N08 80% efficiency gas furnace that came with our new home 12 years ago. I have always found it to be unreasonably noisy. The builder could do nothing about it and the other houses in the development are noisy too. However, it has been reliable. After 12 years with no service calls, the control board has to be replaced (which is actually made by Honeywell). I plan to replace this furnace with the quietest model I can find in another brand.