Consumer Reviews of MAYTAG furnaces

Read more about MAYTAG furnaces

Date created: 2018-02-07 Name: Diana Wisniewski
Location: Highland Lakes, NJ

"Induction Motor"
5 years ago the motherboard started acting up, but the service contract I had wouldn't replace it, thought it was something else. Finally exactly a year ago they replaced it and I had no trouble for a year, then all of a sudden it stopped working. They replaced the motherboard again, still nothing, might be the induction motor but because everything in this unit runs through the motherboard, they can't tell because it won't start up. The motherboard has juice/electricity to it, and all the lights are functioning correctly, may be a lose wire, but there are 30 wires and no indicators to tell which part is affected. It was expensive. I need help or we will freeze to death. Service contractor can't find vendor with induction motor and we've been without heat for two weeks now. It'll be 6 degrees tomorrow night.

Date created: 2017-11-08 Name: Jerry Rossi
Location: Fox Lake, IL

"Maytag MGC2TC100D35C"
I'm writing this while some smoke still remains in my home after the Fire Department spent 30 minutes blowing out as much as they could. My 5 year old Maytag has had serious problems almost from installation. The furnace failed the first time within 4 months of installation. The house was barely above freezing when our son stopped by to check on the home. He brought in 4 electric heaters to keep the home from freezing until the American Heating & Cooling of McHenry, il could fix it. They stated the thermostat wasn't compatible with the new furnace and installed a temp. Almost exactly a year after installation, the cooling unit malfunctioned and American installed a new Honeywell Vison Pro thermostat for $245. The blower motor failed in year 3 and was replaced after several days at no charge. The heat exchanger burned through in year 4 and American disassembled the furnace and left us with no heat for 3 weeks in late October 2016. When I complained about them not returning, they said I was rude and wouldn't return to fix the disassembled furnace they had sold me 4 years earlier. I called the distributor and got the heat exchanger replaced under warranty. I was charged $475. for labor and shipping of the part. They furnace failed to work again about 2 weeks ago in early October. A "high pressure sensor" needed replacing for $145. This morning I was awakened by our alarm and fire detection system. The home was filled with grey smoke coming through the heat registers. There were no visible burn marks on the outside of the furnace, but it was hot to the touch. I am replacing this system with something more reliable asap and will attempt to sue Maytag the Distributor for my troubles. I would hope anyone thinking of installing a similar system to due extensive research before installation.

Date created: 2017-11-07 Name: W. Olmer
Location: Nebraska City, NE

"Furnace problems-starts, then shuts down after 20-30 seconds"
This unit is 8 years old and in the past year, I have had service personnel try to resolve the problem of the unit starting, then shutting down after 20-30 seconds. Yesterday, 11-6-17, it did this 12 times in a row. The service personnel have replaced the 2 pressure switches 2 times. Just today they replaced 1 a third time. Waiting to see if that solves the problem. In addition, the furnace circuit board has been replaced, the flame sensor, the igniter, and the thermostat. The unit works with a Maytag heat pump. Just yesterday, the heat pump was wired around on its' circuit board so that it is not connected to the furnace in anyway. This did not help. I am sure hoping that today's pressure switch replacement is finally the solution.

Date created: 2016-06-16 Name: karen
Location: Walton, KY

"Horrible product"
Bought this furnace in 2009 The furnace I had prior to this was a Trane and I had no issues with it. I could kick myself for not getting another Trane installed. This has been the most expensive and worst purchase I have ever made. I have had at least a dozen service calls, which I get charged for each time, but they never seem able to find the problem or give me a good answer. The day they came to install the blower straight from the factory, it was defective. Now I'm being told that it could possibly be the coil because it's leaking antifreeze and they're finding oil in the unit outside. My contract says that I have a 12-year warranty on parts so I'm about to find out if they're going to honor this or not. I will never ever recommend Maytag to anyone. It quit working again today and we are starting to get into the hottest month of the year. For the last 7 years I have had to deal with not having air or having heat in the winter and never knowing when this is going to occur.

Date created: 2016-01-17 Name: b. bender
Location: Sharpsburg, IA

"Junk furnace"
Purchased in November 2011. 23 service calls failed to detect a crack in the heat exchanger. Water pipes broke, 59800 gallons of water in crawlspace. They refused to accept responsibility for damage. Replaced the furnace, it has failed as of Jan 4. 2016. Ordered an Amana!

Date created: 2014-12-27 Name: R. Evans
Location: Calgary, AB

"Maytag nightmare"
9 years of breakdowns and no parts readily available. Pressure switches upper and lower, sensor troubles. Now the service company will not honor the warranty! Maytag said that they do not have a service company on their list within 100 km of my residence.

Date created: 2014-11-21 Name: Jason
Location: Tennessee

"Maytag gas unit"
We bought a new Maytag gas package over two years ago and it has worked great. It's quiet and reliable, and saves us money in summer and winter. I highly recommend and would buy it again.

Date created: 2014-11-09 Name: F. Provost
Location: Calgary, Alberta

"No warranty in Canada"
Installed in 2006. 3 years after installing, I was told that Maytag is not honoring warranties in Canada; the best solution is to spend another $5000 and replace it with another brand. I am now sitting in -13 C with a broken furnace. Parts were very hard to come by, but are now available to the suckers who bought a Maytag in Canada, but you have to wait a few days to get the parts. My furnace has been out for 4 days now and won't be fixed until tomorrow - hopefully. Of course I am on the hook for the full cost of repair - the main circuit board and flame sensor. Can't wait for the bill. Maytag representatives in Canada are disreputable and I will never buy another Maytag product - ever.

Date created: 2013-12-16 Name: JWM
Location: Louisville, KY

"Awful"
Installed in 2011, 2 yrs later it won't turn on, or turns on if it wants to. Wish i'd never replaced my old one, at least it would turn on. Sounds like a mack truck running through my house. Cost me $135 for warranty labor and it still had the same problems 2 days after I had it fixed.

Date created: 2012-12-25 Name: Lee
Location: Canada

"Maytag furnace"
We have had the furnace for about 5 years now. It has had some problems, but if you are willing to open it up and look inside they are very easy to fix. First problem is that about twice a year the thermocouple carbons off and is unable to sense properly. If you open the door and look at the top horizontal section just a bit to the right of centre you will see the thermcouple pointing up with one screw to the right of it holding it in. With the main furnace switch turned off, just remove the one screw pull the thermocouple out and sand the thermocouple until the carbon is removed. Then re-install the thermocouple. If you try to do this live, and re-install there is a little red light on the circuit board that will keep blinking until you turn it off to restart the shutdown switch. Problem two is the water pump which has little to do with the furnace and is a common high efficiency furnace problem. It tends to fail every few years, so I just have one sitting around just in case. All things mechanical or electronic break down sooner or later, with most things designed to go sooner these days, just have to learn to help yourself a bit more or pay more as product qualities degrade.