Consumer Reviews of LUXAIRE furnaces

Read more about LUXAIRE furnaces

Date created: 2014-01-07 Name: happygirl
Location: CT

"Very Unsatisfied"
Renovated our home from top to bottom--during this whole process I ended up getting the Luxaire high efficiency hvac system and it's been a complete nightmare! I worry that we won't have heat on the coldest of days and worry that we won't have ac on the hottest of days. One zone will be working one zone won't, needed to replace both of the thermostats at a cost of $700 (which I'm skeptical about). We continue to have the same problems-- no one is able to fix it, the heat cuts off and we have to reboot the system. It might work for 20 minutes then it cuts out again. Never reaches the temperature that the thermostat is set for. I live in constant fear of being without heat. Spend the extra money on a good unit!

Date created: 2014-01-02 Name: Arthur
Location: Toronto

"Total junk"
4 year old total junk, very poor quality. Broken 4 times in 4 years. Do not waste your money on Luxaire. Fails on us every winter between Jan and March.

Date created: 2013-11-08 Name: Judy Cunningham
Location: York, PA

"Luxaire/York/Johnson Controls"
I am 100% dissatisfied with the Luxaire modulating furnace installed in my home in November 2008. It operated well in 2008, however, I have had to make service calls due to no heat in the winters of 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Last November, there were service calls on 11/15/12, 11/16/12, and 11/24/12. On 11/15/12, the service technician found moisture at the pressure switches and found that the condensate needed to be replaced. On 11/16/12, the condensate was replaced but the furnace would not run. The service technician then discovered that the motor was not working. He replaced the motor but the furnace still did not work. Next, he found that the board needed to be replaced. When that replacement did not enable the furnace to operate, he found that the pressure switch needed to be replaced. With that replacement, the furnace began to operate and heat was restored. On 11/24/12, I awoke in the morning to a cold house and discovered the furnace stopped running yet again. The service technician came and inspected the furnace on 11/24/12 but could not determine what the issue was. He returned on 11/26/12 to replace more parts which got the furnace up and running and continued to operate until today 11/8/13. The issue today was that the condensate pan had to be replaced and the flame sensor needed to be cleaned. I took out a loan to purchase this furnace (along with an A/C unit) in November 2008 and I also purchased the extended warranty which expires this month. The duration of my loan is 84 months which means I've got monthly payments until December 2015. In November of 2012, I contacted Johnson Controls and requested to have my furnace replaced with a new Luxaire two-stage variable furnace. Johnson passed the issues on to it's distributor who did their best to work between Johnson and me to resolve this issue. Johnson rejected my request to replace my furnace and also rejected the distributor's suggestion to give me a 10-year warranty. This shows that Johnson will not stand behind their product. Their only offer was to cover the unreimbursed labor from the 2012 repairs. It is not unreasonable to expect a new furnace to operate (without all of the issues I've had) for the expected life of the unit or close to it. As of next month, my warranty is up. Johnson will not extend the warranty and I have payments until December 2015. Needless to say, I will not purchase any Johnson Controls product in the future and there is no way I would recommend their products to anyone.

Date created: 2013-06-10 Name: mark
Location: lorain oh

"Happy Customer"
I own a duplex and had to replace a split unit 4 years ago. The new Luxaire unit has performed extremely well. Only had one minor condensation leak, and due to installer warranty the fix and part was free. Everything seems to depend on the installer, and I have had twice yearly checkups on the unit. Plus changed the filters each month. As far as I am concerned the unit is highly efficient, very reliable, and economical. But make sure you have a good installer and that the unit is the proper size for your home and area.

Date created: 2013-02-26 Name: J R
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan

"J R - Luxaire Review"
I purchased a high efficiency Luxaire furnace in 2005 to replace a Similar 20 year old Trane. I assumed that since Luxaire is a Johnson Controls company that the product would be high quality and reliable. I was wrong. On hour after the furnace was installed it quit. The intake blower moter was defective. In the spring of 2006 the furnace quit again, this time due to a defective wire. In the fall of 2006 et another service call was needed to clean the gas orafice. Things were fine until 2010 when the blower motor module fried requiring a new module and blower motor. In February of 2013 the furnace quit yet again. The motor module once again fried and the Luxaire dealer said the motor should be replaced along with the module. I took their advice and had the repair made for $1156. The blower motor later tested ok, so I at least have a spare motor for the next time. a call to Johnson Controls customer service seeking help with the repair was met with "Oh, it's too far out of warranty". The rep suggested that perhaps the local distributer might be interested. Most likely not. I am very disappointed in the performance of a product that should have a useful life of 20 plus years. I would never purchase another Luxaire product...I Can't afford the service calls and I'm tired of being cold while waiting for a repair tech.

Date created: 2013-02-17 Name: Frank Fabricius
Location: Reading PA

"Home Owner"
It does save a ton of money until it needs repair. It stopped working on 2/11/13. I contacted the local gas utility that has a large service department. The utility (ugi) had checked the installation and replaced a pressure switch in 2011. At 3 months short of 5 years the pressure sensor on the circuit board went bad. No Heat! Luxaire says the board is obsolete, not under warranty, and its replacement is over $700.00. The the board was sent and directions also say the gas valve has to be replaced. None in the kit. Still have no heat!! I would advise anything but Luxaire or York.

Date created: 2013-01-24 Name: Connie
Location: Phila., Pa

"DESPISE THIS HEATER!!!!"
We have had our Luxaire heater for 5 years now and it has been nothing but problems since day 1. Because it was installed by a friend, who by the way is a qualified hvac technician, I never called Luxaire about our problems. For 5 years, he has been trying to find out what is wrong with it and why it just shuts off after it reaches temperature. We have the same seemingly re-occurring problem that I hear other consumers speak of. Afraid to leave house when it's cold, waking up to a cold house, and having to turn the heater off and back on just to have heat throughout the day!! Well, I finally called Luxaire and found a very unhelpful, defensive, service manager who recommended I hire another technician. And when it fails again...then what?? No answer!

Date created: 2012-11-02 Name: Jim Beltz
Location: Michigan

""Out of sight""
I have actively represented Luxaire products in the Michigan market for 45 years as a wholesale distributor. The products that are available today, by all manufactures, are sophisticated and complex. All complex machines require scheduled maintenance to perform at peak efficiency. Scheduled maintenance, service contracts and extended warranty protection are options that are available through the installing Dealer Contractor. I have learned that “anything made by man can and will fail”. Your hvac System is an important component of your home. Just because it is out of sight does not mean that it does not requires the same attention you give to your other household appliances. Your clothes washer, dryer, stove, refrigerator and all of the rest of your every day appliances are in plain sight when they are in use. You have the ability to detect premature deficiencies every time you use them. Your furnace and air conditioner only draw your attention when “The Da** Thing Doesn’t Work”. The bottom line is spelled out in the old saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”.

Date created: 2012-08-08 Name: Brandon DuLong
Location: Brighton, MI

"RE: Terrie in El Paso"
Hi Terrie, We had a Luxaire heat pump installed in 2009 and have had nothing but problems with it since. A great deal of them were with the inadequacies of the dealer we chose (whom we found on Luxaire's website), however, my experience with Luxaire's rep for the state of Michigan was just as disappointing. Initial conversations sounded promising in resolving the problem, but when they found out what the problem was it became our burden to bear with a different dealer and additional costs. I had a defective reversing valve which caused our refrigerant to leak. Luxaire covered the replacement of the valve but not that of the refrigerant(the most expensive part of it), not to mention the labor of a different dealer. It sounds like the issues with our units are a little different but the headaches are the same. Currently, I'm in the middle of lawyer consultations but will most likely end up addressing our problem in small claims(both with the dealer and Luxaire separately). A company that doesn't represent it's product is cowardly and I would love to hold Luxaire responsible for their end of it so let me know if I can help. Thanks for the post.

Date created: 2012-06-04 Name: Terrie Adock
Location: El Paso, TX

"Luxaire/ York/ Johnson controls"
I bought a Luxaire hvac/ Furnace system in 2006. Worst mistake I ever made. This has nothing to do with installation. The unit was ok until 2011. I found out then how bad the problem really was. This unit is a 2 speed system with computer control boards on both the hvac and Furnace units. When we lost the compressor last september I couldn't find a "luxaire dealer" who wanted to touch the darn thing. Then I found out that several of the dealers in the state of tx that put these things in either were forced out of business or changed brands because of the lack of back up from York/ Johnson Controls who manufactures this unit. Well I found out that York discontinued the board that goes to this unit so you have to have it reengineered in the field. What a joke. Since the reengineering project I have had 3 compressors burn out on it. I have had 2 "luxeair" approved techs look at it and one non- luxaire look at it. After research on the web I found out that York/Johnson controls were aware they had a problem with this unit years ago but they never bothered to notify, technicians, dealers, wholesalers, or customers. They are the biggest thieves in the industry in my opinion. They have cost their approved "dealers" money, their businesses and their customers hundreds and thousands of dollars since the manufacter of the plus system. I need to know of anyone out there who has dealt with or purchased this "Plus System" as I am trying to start a class action lawsuit against this company for the neglegent way they have handled this situation. Please put your comments here and let me know who you are.