Consumer Reviews of LENNOX furnaces

Read more about LENNOX furnaces

<< Previous891011121314151617181920212223Next >>

Date created: 2009-08-19 Name: Friedrich
Location: Minnesota

"Aged vs. New Furnace Payback Time"
To Chris who posted 2009-07-13 and all others who would like to determine the time it will take for a high-efficiency furnace to pay for itself in energy savings: I live in Minnesota, where furnaces and ACs get a good workout--winters are long and cold and summers typically hot and humid. I bought a 1941-built house two years ago that has a trouble-free furnace more than 35 years old. It's a single-stage gas-fired 80,000 BTU Friedrich that provides comfortable heat.(Typical of installations in the old days, it was oversized for the house.) At some point, a #2200 Aprilaire air cleaner was added. Based on 50 years of experience, it's my opinion that the greatest gas savings you'll ever get from a furnace is by turning down the thermostat at night. I turn my Honeywell down to 60 degrees when I go to bed. By the time I reset it to 70 degrees in the morning, switch the coffeemaker to ON, bring the newspaper in and make a quick bladder-emptying trip to the bathroom, the temp is back to 70. I used a simple formula to determine how long it would take for me to pay back for a new 95% efficient furnace in gas savings were I to replace the Friedrich. Here it is: First look at the gas bills for 3 months during the summer, e.g., June, July & August, when you are not using the furnace. Add the cost of the gas used during those 3 months and divide the total by 3, to give you an average per month for the gas appliances other than the furnace. Don't include taxes added to your gas bill--you can't escape taxes no matter how efficient your furnace is. Then multiply this average-per-month number by 12 to give you the amount you spend per year on gas to run the appliances other than the furnace. Now, if your furnace is 25 years or older, it probably has an efficiency rating of 60% AFUE. That means about 60% of every dollar spent on the furnace gas heats the house and 40 cents goes up the chimney. In contrast, a new 95% efficient furnace wastes only 5 cents out of every dollar. Here's how it works for me, who has a small one-story house (900 sq. ft. main floor and 900 sq.ft. finished basement; I don't heat the lower level, but the heat passing through the good-sized ductwork apparently keeps it warm enough to do laundry without discomfort): I spend $374 per year for furnace gas (yes, the house is small, but the heat is on all day every day, my storm windows are flimsy and ill-fitting 1970s aluminum, and my 12-pane windows need reglazing badly). OK, let's say I spend $5,000 on a 95% AFUE furnace, which is 35% more efficient than 60%. $374 multiplied by 35% amounts to $131 per year in savings. Dividing the cost of the furnace ($5,000) by my anticipated annual gas-bill savings ($131), and the payback time is 38 years. Of course, given the average 18-year life span of modern-day furnaces, I will have had to replace the new 95% furnace with another new furnace, maybe even two new furnaces were I unlucky, before I got to the end of the 38-year payback time. And then there are all the repair/parts replacement costs common to high-efficiency furnaces, which have safety features and "bells and whistles" that didn't exist when my Friedrich was built. (An HVAC installer this morning quoted me a price on a variable-speed motor, should one need replacement: $425, plus labor. It sounds like a nice feature and is said to save on electricity costs, but I have to wonder to what degree.) The formula I've set out herein doesn't take into consideration environmental concerns a homeowner may find important enough to offset a long payback time. And there are energy company rebates and the current federal tax credit to consider. For me, I'm sticking with my Friedrich for now while getting estimates for a new furnace should my old "tank" fail in midwinter.

Date created: 2009-08-18 Name: Justin

"Lennox furnace review"
"I've had my furnace for 25 years and never had a problem"... We here that every day, what people have to realize is there old furnace had little to no electronics, a pilot light that kept the unit warm and dry all the time, a big inefficient steel heat exchanger and simple burners. To get more efficiency all manufactures have added components to get efficiencies from the mid 60s up to 98% efficient. Here are just some components in new furnaces: up to two electronic control boards (computers), a brushless ecm blower motor, two heat exchangers, electronic ignition system, modulating gas valve, induced draft fan, dual high low pressure switches, up to five flame roll out sensors, up to two transformers, limit sensor, etc. etc. these furnaces are so efficient they actually condense moisture from the combustion process which is why they are called condensing furnaces. Please realize these are the best furnaces on the market and you probably will have 20 years of problem free operation from them. But you are definitely more likely to have a problem with the more complex systems that are made today. That is why it is important to buy from a reputable contractor that is going to install and set it up correctly and stand behind it. Lennox puts a 10 year warranty on all of it parts and most dealers offer upgraded labor warranties at a reasonable price. Lennox is my first choice but choose your contractor before brand. Justin @ Cool Air Solutions. www.coolairsolutions.com

Date created: 2009-07-25 Name: Larry O

"Most Comfortable"
Two Years ago installed a Lennox furnace-2 stage heat with a continuos variable motor. Absolutely Love it. Had a Service Experts Dealer install it and looking to have my air conditioner replaced to get the new tax credit. Amazed by the service-we paid a little more up front-15% or so, but the service, installation and most of all comfort have never been better. Also had a new state of the art filter and germ light installed and kids allergies not a problem like they used to be. Thank you so much Service Experts of St. Louis

Date created: 2009-07-16 Name: Justine Drewing

"TRANE is the New Lennox"
I am the wife of a Lennox dealer, I can tell you this, Lennox no longer provides the quality that it use to. My husband is gone most evenings in the winter due to service calls to the Lennox furnace. It is always the same problem, the circuit board. He is now in the midst of erasing the Lennox line from his company as he believes in providing nothing but the best to his customers. He is also a Carrier/Trane dealer for more than 5 years, and he swears "Nothing can stop a Trane" His company has installed hundreds of Trane units (Furnaces/AC's) and I think in 5 years he has had two call backs re: the Trane, and they both had to do with snow blocking the intake pipes. We have a Trane installed in our home and believe it is nothing but the best. Do your research, Trane is the old Lennox.

Date created: 2009-07-13 Name: Dan Blews

"Hvac technician"
I am just here to defend lennox's quality name. I have been a residential HVAc service technician for 6 years and serviced and installed lennox equipment. I have serviced all brands and by far the worst are carrier and goodman they are horrible!!! It all comes down to maintaining your equipment. every time I see furnaces prematurely go bad its because the homeowner did not do routine maintenance like all manufacturers reccomend, and of course nobody warranties stupidity!when it comes down to a lennox most service techs that dont work for a lennox dealer dont know how to work on them, they overcomplicate them. lennox doesnt allow any guy with a wrench to work on their equipment, get a nate certified lennox technician and you will have the best equipment you could ever want

Date created: 2009-07-13 Name: Chris

"Should I or Shouldnt I"
I got an old lennox furnace that was installed in 1968 (its a g8), it still works great! I have it annual inspected and the tech states its like the unit is still brand new. Now im in the market to get a more efficient furnace as the g8 is around 60% or less, but all these reviews get me a little nervous. It would be nice if you all could state your model number as it sounds like the G32's suck but the model im looking at (g61mpv) seems to get good reviews, im still scared though as its going to cost me 7k to get it installed and id rather not waste money on a pos. Our winters get to -50 for weeks on end, I need a reliable furnace.

Date created: 2009-06-25 Name: vicki

"Lennox 25 year-old: never needed service"
I've had my lennox for 25 years and never called for service once. reliable!

Date created: 2009-06-10 Name: P.PLUNKETT

"P plunkett"
We have had nothing but trouble with this furnace how come.old one in home for 39 yrs.NEVER A service call.discusted.

Date created: 2009-05-22 Name: Dave F.
Location: Northern Indiana

"Lennox Demension Natural Gas"
Here in northern Indiana winters are cold and snowy. The Lennox Dimension has kept us comfortable for 8 years now. It also saves me money on my gas bill, it is 94.7% efficient. I also had an Aprilaire humidifier and air filter system installed at the same time. If your humidity is too high your windows will "sweat", that means that you need to reduce the humidity in your home by changing the setting downward on your humidifier or turn it off for a day or two.

Date created: 2009-05-14 Name: t.snider

"Bad deal all around"
Had a pulse installed in 1995 at a cost of $3600.00 the old furnace was 26 yrs old no problems with it 'it was no a lenox' computer board went out3wks ago$347.00 To replace it now installing lenox central air $3800.00 and upon inspection they say the heat exchangerb is bad and unsafe and we need a new furnace $3800.00 dcome on should we get more than 14 yrs. out of our old Lenox?? I would think so!! Very unhappy with Lenox!!

<< Previous891011121314151617181920212223Next >>