Consumer Reviews of KENMORE furnaces

Read more about KENMORE furnaces

Date created: 2013-01-03 Name: CLP
Location: Troy, NY

"Sears is a joke"
If you need your furnace repaired Sears sucks. I called a local heating place and they came and told me what it needed. Sears would not sell them the part. The would only send a repair person who I would have to pay another diagnostic fee to and that person would replace the part. Mind you, it is 20 degrees outside and they can't send a person for 5 days. I asked them what my choice was - to freeze to death? And basically they said yes. So I did some research and found the part online from a different seller and it got here 2 days later and I replaced it myself. Sears sucks and I will never buy another furnace from them.

Date created: 2012-12-05 Name: Crystal Payne
Location: Alanreed, TX

"Save yourself the trouble!!!"
Sears salesman came out to our house, did an evaluation and sold us a Propane furnace and Electric ac unit and scheduled an installation time. The contractors that were sent left (2) 2 ft x 1 ft holes where old return vents were, cut registers in wrong rooms, and stepped through the ceiling. Within 2 weeks we were having problems. We found a huge water stain underneath where the furnace/blower was up in the attic 4 different times and the ac not turning on at all. This has been going on/off for last 6 months. The other night we came home and the AC/furnace not working again. The contractors came back out and said that the furnace was set up for natural gas and not propane and it burnt out a switch and "shut off" the whole system. They converted it to propane and its working for the moment. The contractors say that Sears didn't tell them that we were on propane. We had been using the furnace on the wrong fuel source for over 6 months! In the 6 months we've had the system there have been over 9 problems and I've had to call them over 25 times.They put out entire family and home at risk with installing the furnace for the wrong fuel type. The safeties that are in the furnace didn't stop it from being used. This is a major fire hazard and we are lucky our house and family wasn't injured and damaged. In the 6 months we've had the system we have had problems every single month! After paying that much for something I had expected better quality and service and not constant inconveniences and frustrations for the last 6 months. I don't feel they advertised their services correctly or their product. I spent $12K for something that I had expected to last and work for years, and it hasn't even worked properly for 1 month without issues.

Date created: 2012-09-23 Name: ron h
Location: fox river grove, il

"Best model ever"
Had Sears deliver 60,000 btu electronic unit in 1981... Since that time I have had it cleaned every 3-4 years and only problem was service tech broke igniter while cleaning. I installed myself with duct done by pro per my spec.. All parts original and best appliance I have ever bought. Need to replace after 30 years and am very scared.

Date created: 2011-06-08 Name: John

"Kenmore = Lemons"
Wow did I make a mistake...replaced a 20yr old Trane with Kenmore. The Trane was fine but wanted a more efficient model due to energy costs, thinking I would save money. Wrong. After 6 months the problems started, blower started going bad, ignitor issue, circuit board failed, coolant leaked, compressor went bad .. it just goes on and on. After the first few repairs, Sears started being much less accomodating. Now they say warranty is out....how can that be! Kenmore are lemons, do it right the foirst time - spend the extra money for a Trane or other good brand. Kenmore's are cheap

Date created: 2011-03-23 Name: DDiatta
Location: Colorado

"Very Unhappy with Sears- DONE with Sears"
We got a new Kenmore furnace from Sears in Oct 2010 and it is the last item we buy from them. Response to our problems with the furnace was nil until we filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - even that did not ignite any rush to help. It took a full 2 months for Sears to say all was OK in their view and too bad! The blower does not produce much air flow to heat the house, however it makes so much noise that when it comes on, we must turn up the tv ! The furnace does NOT heat the house. They installed a smaller furnace than the one they removed. I had questioned this from the beginning; no other company gave such a bid. Their promise to make it right has been empty. The installers have tweaked all they can; I deduct that this is a bad product. Our last from Sears.

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: Jill Brown
Location: Robinson, IL

"HORRIBLE experience. HORRIBLE Service. WILL NEVER do business again."
In October of 2009, I purchased an HVAC (Furnace and A/C Unit) for my home. My cost was about $7,900. The day after the furnace was installed, it quit working. Fast forward to June 2010. My A/C sounds like a jet engine taking off when it starts and landing when it shuts off. I called Sears every week to try to have someone come look at it. It's NOVEMBER and I still have not seen a repair man. In early August, we noticed floors around the unit were warping. Come to find out, the contractors had failed to install a drain line to drain the condensation....all of the condensation was leaking into my floors. I'm currently in the process of having my ENTIRE living room (vintage oak hardwood) torn up and replaced, subfloor and all. My main bathroom and both of my bedrooms will be getting new carpet and new subfloors as well. My furnace is literally sinking....While Sears' insurance company is working with me to cover the repairs, not once has Sears offered to do ANYTHING for my inconvenience. I will be out of my home for 3 weeks or more and they haven't even said sorry. On top of all of that, my furnace still sounds like a jet engine. Turns on almost immediately after turning off, only to shut down again 30 seconds later. And still no repair man....... Do not EVER deal with Sears. I wish I had spent my 8k elsewhere. I had thought about going through Sears for new siding, but that is NOT going to happen.

Date created: 2009-12-10 Name: J.Mcgan

"Kenmore furnace is a piece of crap"
We bought a heat and air package from sears in may of 2007 had it installed in july of 2007,havent had any problems with the air,but the furnace is a piece of crap.Went to turn on for the first time wouldnt work,they said it was are fault we need a digital thermostat so we got one but still wouldnt work,they repair it and then again in dec of 2007 it kept coming on and off and was blowing out cold air had it fix again and then in april of 2008 it stop working again they fix it again and you guess it,Its broke again now its dec of 2009 and it will be 2 weeks before a repair person can come....so I guess I'm saying don"t buy a kenmore furnace

Date created: 2009-08-25 Name: Cliff

"Greatest"
Kenmore is by far the best product, outside of Carrier, that is available. Not a problem in 22 years. Friends have Goodman and Trane and they are junk. Problems - repairs - failures!! Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a Kenmore!!

Date created: 2007-10-19 Name: T. Orsborne
Location: Dearborn Heights, mi

I purchased a kenmore boiler from Sears a little less than 7 years ago. After the first new boiler blew up (what a mess) the day after it was installed, the lower pop off valve blew. Sears repair came out and made some adjustments and said that should fix it. it continued to blow periodically for the next few years, even after it was replaced. We were told that the items attached to the boiler (even though installed by sears with the new boiler) was not covered under their warrenty. It was only recently that we could afford to have a real repairman take a look at it to determine the cause of the pop off valves blowing(both upper and lower ones now). Turns out it wasn't an imbalance of the air presure or incorrect settings to be the cause. The controls installed by sears were defective. Sears says (even though they installed them) they are not warrentied. it will costs us almost $600.00 to have them replaced. Thanks for nothing sears. ( the leaking pop-off valves are the root cause of the corner of our house sinking - another expense we cannot afford)

Date created: 2007-03-20 Name: kevin perkins
Location: indianaplois

The small blower exhuast motor when out.