Consumer Reviews of Kenmore furnaces

Read more about Kenmore furnaces

Date created: 2017-12-04 Name: C. FitzPatrick
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY

"Unsastified customer"
My ac broke this summer, since it was original I needed to replace it. The Sears sales rep came and told me that my unit was handling both ac/ and furnace. Close to $ 15,000. The ac worked fine. Now is winter and the system shuts off by itself. Of course they outsource the technician that installed it. He appears to be knowledgeable, but I the problem is still there. Today he is coming again to prove to me that he is right, that the problem is that my furnace chimney is not appropriate. In December is impossible to get a chimney repair person. The sales rep should have anticipated that! Sears do not deal with chimneys anymore. Sears does not stand behind their product as they should. And their technician is an arrogant man that thinks I cannot figure out that what he is saying is a bunch of bologna. Bad company, don' bother using them. I am not including here the time spent on phone calls and emails. A disgrace.

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: Dale Johnson
Location: New York

"Don't buy"
Paid $4751, it didn't last 3 years without loss of thermostat - $400+. Can't start it this year. The installer no longer services. Customer Service is no help without more fees. Can't obtain a manual to diagnose. Try to find helpful customer info online, then see if you want to buy. They will stand behind if you pay them more money.
Date created: 2016-04-20 Name: Dan Miller
Location: Naperville, IL

"Excellent basic furnace"
Bought this in spring 2002 as furnace/AC unit to replace an old Lennox. Have had it cleaned twice (it doesn't seem to soot up, at all). Had to replace the combustion blower fan in 2014 (at 12 years for $130) when it started getting noisy. Have had zero other issues and the AC unit has never required any service. It just runs.
Date created: 2015-03-13 Name: Mumbo
Location: Chilliwack, BC

"Blower runs for no reason"
5 years ago I bought a brand new Kenmore system - a high efficiency furnace plus a heat pump. The first 4 years it worked pretty good, only had one service call - the furnace needed some tweaking. Right now I wish I had never bought a heating system from Sears. One thing is the customer service - if you have a problem you call Sears, then they call their dispatch, then they call a third party local contractor who sends a technician out to check on the problem. Most of the time they know whats wrong, they change some random parts and hope for the best. I don't blame the technicians, there is only so much they can do. There are so many different thing going wrong on these Kenmore furnaces, they can't keep up. My problem is that the blower cycles on/off every other minute for no reason. Even if my thermostat is set to off (I mean heating/cooling off), it will keep cycling regardless. The only thing that works is the main power switch. The problem is if I go to work and have the heating off all day, this becomes a problem when coming home to a freezing cold house. Another alternative would be to have my heating on and just suck up the over inflated bill for the electric power because that blower will run all day. After 5 visits they don't know what's wrong because the problem is intermittent and what's worse now is Sears doesn't want to send any more technicians to my house because the report says: no problem found. But they will still try to up sell me on service protection even if I still have 4 years of warranty left. Wouldn't it drive you crazy? Stay away from Sears home services and you'll save yourself a big long headache.
Date created: 2015-01-21 Name: Michael
Location: Butler

"Can't get parts (trust me, I'm an HVAC contractor)"
I'm an HVAC technician. I have spent hours calling around to Kenmore and back to the actual manufacturer, trying to get some simple parts for a Kenmore furnace. Getting parts is key to choosing the correct furnace; should your furnace break down in the middle of winter, your technician will need to get the part quickly to get you up and running again. If the manufacturer can't assist your technician quickly, your heat repair will be delayed. I recommend not choosing this brand based on that.
Date created: 2015-01-12 Name: Joe Cocomoe
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

"Sears Kenmore furnace is junk"
I purchased a central air and furnace package from Sears. It ran great for 2 years. The central air failed on the hottest weekend in August. I was told that the "a" coil failed and that they had a bad batch. Okay, that took about 4 days after the heat wave was over. Now the furnace has failed. I called the call center and the operator told me that she will send a technician over right away. I mentioned that no one was home because we still work in order to pay for the furnace. She said that she will make arrangements for service the next day. I get a call at work that the service technician is at my house. They can't even get that right. So the guy come the next day, looks at the furnace and says that we need to buy a yearly service package. He tells the wife that it's fixed and leaves. I get home from work and the house is freezing. I call the service center again and they dispatch another technician. He comes and looks at the unit, does something and leaves. The furnace shuts down in about 10 minutes. I call the service center again and practically end up in an argument with them. They are telling me that they sent people there already and that I may be charge a service fee. Hey, if they fixed it right the first time they wouldn't have to come back. At least the third time they found the problem; the heat exchanger was cracked in 2 places. It split right open. I get a call the next day that there are no spare parts and that they are on order. He tells me he hopes it won't take long. If anybody reads this, please pass it on and warn potential customers to run away from Sears. It's just too much trouble.
Date created: 2014-11-20 Name: CMP
Location: Detroit

"Worse than the 30-year-old furnace we removed...loud!"
I'm going to report Sears to the Better Business Bureau. This piece of crap furnace blows so loud, it wakes me from my sleep. No furnace should be this loud. I feel ripped off. This is the biggest mistake ever. Do not purchase a furnace from Sears.
Date created: 2014-11-02 Name: Just me
Location: Texas

" Kenmore isn't Kenmore"
For those that brag that your furnace is better than Carrier, think again. You just bought a Carrier with a Kenmore label. For those who stick with a lower line, you just bought a Comfortmaker that is in the Carrier family. Carrier is an International Comfort Product and so are all the lower ends Sears sells. So buyer beware.... Kenmore is not Kenmore.
Date created: 2014-08-18 Name: David Cross
Location: Toledo Ohio

"Sears Furnace"
We had our furnace installed in march. It was unfinished because they did not install the flu liner they insisted we needed to have. It is now the forth week of August. After calls and calls to the installers and to sears with no call back or follow up what so ever our furnace is still not finished. The inspector did not pass our furnace. The contractor gives us the run around and never returns calls. Sears does nothing. I guess its time for legal action. This has been a nightmare. I will never ever deal with sears again. I highly recommend anyone who reads this review to go some where else beside sears.
Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: F. McClemens
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Heat Exchanger"
Model # NTGM075EGA3 absolutely not recommended, installed 03/20/1999. March 2010-heat exchanger cracked, replaced under warranty. Labor approximately $800.00. December 2010-new heat exchanger cracked, part under warranty. Labor not warrantied, not even 9 months. November 2012-holes in heat exchanger, decided to replace with another brand. Carbon monoxide escaping, shutting the furnace down. Would never recommend this furnace. 4 heat exchangers in 13 years, too many services. Forget about it.