Consumer Reviews of JANITROL furnaces

• PG (1 review)
  • PGB (1 review)

Date created: 2008-03-07 Name: Matt Wagner
Location: Minneapolis

My Janitrol heating units were actually 59 years old when I replaced them. They were in my 1949 California style double bungalow. Each unit has its own furnace. The units still worked, but were putting out a little too much CO2 so I got rid of them. The furnaces were original to the duplex. They still had the 1949 manual to them and I kept it. Now that's what I expect! You should never have to look at these things- they should just work for 60 years. Everything now last 15 years. You'd think with the technology we have they could do better.

Date created: 2008-02-24 Name: FreezingInIndiana
Location: Indianapolis

I too am very upset with this piece of junk. My contractor has had to come out to many times and just to be exact- he is coming out Tuesday for the 3rd time in just 3 weeks- He keeps telling me that I have a lent or chemical problem and that we need to find out why. I think there is no worse feeling than knowing it is 30 degrees or colder and not knowing whether you will have heat or not. I am so frustrated. My contractor comes out everytime and tries to fix it, but I have to pay labor every single time. I can't take it anymore. I will be calling the company.

Date created: 2008-01-27 Name: brrrrr
Location: WV

Please do not waste your money...terrible. One repair after the other, finally replacing. These people should be ashamed for selling this junk.

Date created: 2007-12-02 Name: Ben
Location: Roanoke VA

I personally have not owned the unit for all 50 years, but it has served this home for that long. It is a 1955 Janitrol floor heater. Every service techinician who sees it can't believe it still works. One told me it should be a museaum peice. It's old and big, and is about 40% efficient, but works! It will be replaced soon with a 90% efficient furnace. Probably not a Jnitrol or Goodman because "they don't build 'em like they used to"!

Date created: 2007-08-09 Name: m. winston
Location: richmond va.

Owned my unit for 7 years before I lost my compressor. the warranty was only good for 5 years. I also have to agree that these units are a bunch of junk. My builder put my unit in because it was cheap. If prossible replace with a different unit, not repair. When the repairmen came out to repair my unit, he laughed and said who sold you this crap.

Date created: 2007-04-22 Name: Jeanette Castaneda
Location: Carrollton, Virginia 23314

I had a new Janitrol furnace installed in my home April 2,2006. The air conditioner worked during the summer with no problem--when the cold weather set in --to be exact --around Oct. 15,2006 the heat furnace never worked properly. The contractor could not find or correct the problem. I hired another contractor to try and he could not correct the problem either. It would not come on regulary and sometimes not come on at all.Needeless to say with 1 week now before Christmas and very cold now< I had to have the 2nd contractor put me in another furnace.. This time I chose a "Carrier". I now have heat..I would like to hear from others to know if you are having this same problem. I also Have taken the 1st contractor to court regarding this issue. We will be in court again in 2 weeks because of his apppeal. He failed to comply with warranty.

Date created: 2007-02-02 Name: M. Barber
Location: Cincinnati, OH

The unit is about 10 years old; it was in the house when I bought it. At the time of purchase, the inspector said the burner was cycling too often. He further said that Janitrol/Goodmans have problems with cracking their heat exchangers. The company will replace the heat exchanger, but it's up to me to pay for labor. At that point, it's probably just as cheap to replace the whole unit. Every contractor who has looked at the unit agrees (without being prompted). Apparently, the Janitrol/Goodman name is pretty tarnished in the industry.