Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: Dan D.

"1987 90afue nat gas furnace"
My 23 yr old Heil 90% eff. furnace is still working well & runs quietly, I replaced the induction fan in 2007 and I just replaced a faulty fan/limit switch this month. I do maintain and clean the furnace regularly and I replaced the 2 parts myself (bolt-on stuff) which saved me money too. I also have a 15 yr old Tempstar DC90 (Same as Heil DC90) that has just failed (probably) due to improper installation by the remodeling contractor who did the install but I've also heard that early production runs of this model had heat exchanger problems too. Heil has been acquired by (the parent company of ) Carrier, I plan to replace the Tempstar with another Heil.

Date created: 2010-11-16 Name: john
Location: buffalo ny

"Very poor"
House built in 1998 repaired in 2002 blower repaired again in 2004 now in 2008 needed new a/c unit i think it was all poorly made oh yeah funrance blew out last nite all done getting anew one sick of heil

Date created: 2010-11-13 Name: D Oldendick
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"95 % efficientcy furnace"
My old furnace suffered a crack heat exchanger after 29 years of service and I needed a replacement. Thompson heating and cooling let me view the crack with there camera. The next day they installed a whole new system air, furnace, and humidifier. I have run this furnace for eight days now and my house has never been this confortable before. It stays exactly at 68 degrees and every room is close in temperature. They also have a great warranty. I hope my luck continues, so far so good.

Date created: 2010-11-10 Name: Phillip Berkness
Location: Savage Minnesota

"Home Owner"
I was surprised by some of the reviews showing failures. I have 26 years with no failures on my 50,000 BTU furnace in cold Minnesota climate. It is slightly on the small side because I over insulated my house which causes it to run longer because of it's size. Maybe this prevents failure. I am having my first failure which is bad bearings on the exhaust blower. The blower costs $259.00 plus install. I like the idea of the constant fan in the new furnaces as long as the bearings don't fail. I would definitely buy another.

Date created: 2010-11-07 Name: MAC
Location: Milo Ia.

"COLD"
My furnace Hot Surface Ignition Control Box got on fire and burned other wires with it-the HSI igniter has gone out 4 times, replace-the furnace has 4 burners, on fire up, 3 ignite, count to 10, the 4th BOOMS, ignites, replaced burner, new lite bar under warranty, Boom is still there. Flame Roll Out Switch mounted to the front of plenum would get warm from furnace metal it was screwed to, would then shut furnace down,problem solved, I layed the unit on the cool cabinet, no more shut offs-Now the chimney motor in these units sound like 911 with sirons on, noisy,Next you need a pipe going outside to draw-cool air for furnace when it is running ? Now you get cold air coming in when furnace is off ? High limit switch set too low, off & on off & on. what a joke. I set a bucket of ice cubes in front of the return air in, stopped this mess until the ice melted. The plastic finns on the blower chimney motor are pressed onto the shaft, comes loose, drops and starts a scraping noise, solved this easy to take apart, then put Super Glue on shaft and push it back on. This would take a 100 HP tractor to get it loose now. All junk controls on furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-07 Name: Jojo McGraw
Location: Des Plaines, IL

"20+ years old and still going strong"
To that fellow with the 2 burner furnace-you had the wrong size furnace installed and that's no reflection on the furnace itself. The furnace is fine, it's just too small for the job. You should have had a "load calc" performed to determine the proper size for your home. Also, Heil furnaces all come with parts warranties-use them. You're just being silly if you pay a service tech for a part that's still under warranty. And Heil has some great warranties! It's a terrific product but if they're installed wrong, there will be problems. Just like anything, it has to be installed correctly for it to work well. All I see on this page is a bunch of people who have improperly installed furnaces and that shouldn't reflect on the product itself. The Heil in my very own basement is still going strong after 20 plus years of faithful service!

Date created: 2010-10-22 Name: Kathy Fifield
Location: Hanna , IN

"Why did i buy a heil furnace"
Purchased furnace in 2001 Dec. We built a new home. Nov.2005 had to call our furnace man back out to replace the smart valve. Oh guess what!!!!! just had him out yesterday, and its out again. This time i have to pay for it myself. and the barriers are going out in the blower. VERY UNSATISFIED

Date created: 2010-10-15 Name: R Jones
Location: Oshkosh Wi

"Heil Heaven"
Bought a new spec home in 1987. We still have the original Heil furnace. In these 23 years we have never had a problem. Have it checked professionally every other year. I check and clean every other year as well. I know its days are limited and am considering replacing it BUT these new furnaces with all the new gadgets (depite the brand) seem to have to be repaired in some way after about three years. That seems awfully fast. I wonder if you really save anything by upgrading. With a high repair bill it seems any savings you gain are wiped out by a repair. I love the Heil I have now. I didn't know how lucky I was until I started investigating purchasing a new furnace.

Date created: 2010-10-14 Name: Mark
Location: Auburn, IN

"Mark Beber"
I am writing in response to those that spent 800.00 for a 150.00 part, and have had servicemen out 8 times and 4 times. You have an installation problem, and you have a service tech ripping you off. Its not the Heil Furnace. Almost all furnaces have the same parts, made by the same manufacturers. If not installed right, it doesnt work right. Its like having a Honda car, and letting the guys at GM put it together. It wont be installed right, and thus it's not going to work right. Installation is the key.

Date created: 2010-10-07 Name: Tony DePew
Location: Wawaka,IN

"Very Satisfied"
I have a Heil 2 stage variable speed furnace with a Heil two stage heat pump system. My home is more comfortable than it ever has been and the savings on propane are tremendous. Highly recommend a Heil system from a qualified contractor.