Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2011-12-23 Name: Eric Halpern
Location: Wayne, PA

"Too much Combustion Moisture"
I just had the 4th smart valve installed in 11 years. Furnace new in May 2000. New smart valves in New valves in November 2005, October 2007 & December 2011. These are expensive! As I see it, two problems exist. Heil has a combustion and or venting issue that causes too much water to come back at the exhaust connection. This water is likely the result of combustion and not from the chimney. (My chimney is on interior walls and it has a cap on it to keep animals out... so it's not rain.) Second, Honeywell should be using a conformal coating on the PCB's to make it impossible for water to damage their circuitry. Condensation water has killed the last three valves in my unit and a neighbor that has the same exact unit in the same exact house. To make things worse, I've learned that both Honeywell and Heil really don't want to discuss this with consumers. The only way to get any satisfaction is by your hvac repair company going to bat for you. I understand that heaters are potentially dangerous devices, but companies treat us like idiots. I'd only buy a Heil again if the dealer/install had a long history with a specific model in a specific housing development.

Date created: 2011-11-03 Name: M Berdel
Location: Colts Neck, NJ

"Heil Problem After Problem"
Had a high efficiency heat and a/c unit installed in February 2008. So far I had to have refrigerant 401a replaced in 2010. There was no leak. Weird right. Now in June 2011 the a/c doesn't work again. Technician says I need a complete blower unit with module and motor plus a new condenser. Installed under warranty. Great! Now I turn on my heat October 2011 and the same thing happens. Technician says I need a new blower unit with module and motor. New computer. Sounds like a lemon. Distributor will not give installer parts because he said I received the parts once already. I contacted Heil and they said its still under warranty no matter if it was already changed. Paid top dollar and unit consistently breaks down. I would not recommend Heil to anyone. Does anyone else have this problem?

Date created: 2011-10-19 Name: Scott
Location: Madison

"Just replaced the second smart valve"
Just replaced the second smart valve (gas valve). Each smart valve costs $500. Technician said that this is a typical problem.

Date created: 2011-05-02 Name: ken bates
Location: THUNDER BAY ONTARIO CANADA

"GAVE HEIL A SHOT AND IT MISSED MARK"
HAD A HEIL ULTIMATE 3 INSTALLED IN NEW HOUSE IN 1996, BLOWER MOTOR FAILED 11 YEARS LATER, $350 . HAVE HAD 2 EXHAUST MOTORS REPLACED AT $200 A PIECE.HAVE JUST HAD TO REPLACE THE FURNACE BECAUSE THE SECONDARY HEAT EXCHANGER PLUGGED UP AND TECH SAID IT COULD NOT BE REPAIRED.NEW FURNACE NOT A HEIL

Date created: 2011-04-18 Name: R Ertel
Location: Racine, WI

"Pretty Satisfied"
We have had a Heil 90% Energy Efficient furnace for 15 years. To date we have had only 1 minor repair. Recently the furnace has become much louder when pumping out heat then gets quieter when the blower motor takes over. I was told by a technician that it sounds like something maybe wrong with the inducer motor. Sometimes the motor can be fixed, other times it has to be replaced. The technician also said a furnace should last between 15-20 years. Considering the age, I'm pretty satisifed with the quality and performance of the unit.

Date created: 2011-04-05 Name: P. Truskoski
Location: Sudbury, On

"Not Amused"
Had this Heil furnace installed 4 months ago, though the heat is good, my wife and I found the fan noise to be very loud. The technician turned the fan speed down to quiet it, still louder than our old unit and doesn't pump the warm air as it should, so it runs longer, so much for savings. It also makes a loud vibration noise on start up, again the tech can't get it to quiet down. So our only choice is to turn the thermostat way down so it kicks in less and doesn't wake us up. Anyone want to buy it? Thinking of cashing in some bonds and get anything else.

Date created: 2011-03-29 Name: Lori Mills
Location: Belleville, MI

"DO NOT BUY A HEIL FURNACE!!!!"
This is the second house that I've had that had one of these furnaces installed in it and the are the worst furnace EVER, the company should be out of business! Nothing but problems every time you turn around! DO NOT EVER BUY ONE!!!!!

Date created: 2011-03-24 Name: PAUL
Location: CALIFORNIA

"8 YEAR OLD HIEL"
I HAVE A 8 YEAR OLD HIEL HEATER ,I HAVE A HOME WARRENTY BUYERS PROTECTION GROUP THAT WILL NO LONGER FIX THIS HEATER, GAS VALVE GOES OUT ABOUT EVERY YEAR, NO ONE WANT'S TO STAND BEHIND THIS PRODUCT, HOME WARRENTY AND HIEL TECH SUPPORT ARE TELLING ME MOISTURE MUST BE THE PROBLEM, NO MOISTURE FOUND ANY PLACE,NO WATER FOUND, NOTHING. SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER EXCUSE SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY. DON'T BUY HOME WARRENTY FROM BUYERS PROTECTION GROUP THEY USE EVERY EXCUSE NOT PAY.

Date created: 2011-02-26 Name: David
Location: Skokie, IL

"Homeowner"
I will not buy Heil furnace again, period.

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: E. Kats
Location: Kingston, Ontario

"19 Years and Going Strong"
Went to visit my mom's place and inquiring about her furnace (home built in '91) and she indicated that in all those years, only changes the air filter. Only remembers to get the furnace checked about once every 5 years. Will convince her to have annual maintenance moving forward. Furnace is on continuously in our cold northern climate.