Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2012-11-08 Name: Mary Bach
Location: Saint Paul, MN

"1987 Up to 96% Efficiency Natural Gas"
This furnace came with the house we bought and was originally installed in 1988. We have never had a service call on this furnace but recently found out that it's putting too much co out the exhaust. We are looking for a replacement but are extremely pleased with the longevity of this model. The things I don't like about it are that the fan is noisy and the unit makes lots of vibrating noises when it's running. I was hoping it would go on forever but it's too dangerous to keep on running it. Whatever the problem, it is now short cycling but still keeps the house comfortable.

Date created: 2012-10-07 Name: J. Brant
Location: Mint Hill, NC

"Never AGAIN!"
I should have known from day 1 that this unit was a piece of crap. The installer had to come out on the first day after putting it in to replace the control board it literally burned up. Then 3 years later another service call, blower fan burned up. Same year heat would not work due to no vacuum in a safety switch, which has been an ongoing problem ever since. Today no heat, yet another service call will have to be made. Stay away from these, I thought Heil was suppose to be one of the best. Come to find out they are made by a company in pa for several manufacturers their name in International Comfort Products. Kind of ironic since their products are less than reliable, just glad I don't live where it gets real cold.

Date created: 2012-09-27 Name: Cj Kelly
Location: Groveland, il. 61535

"25+ yrs no problem"
Oldest date I can find is 1987 transformer just went out in 2012. We have owned the last 10 and it has ran perfectly. Oiled the fan and changed filters has been the only up keep. Bills have been fair. Not the most even heat but comfortable, reliable and fairly quiet. Looking into replacing but can't complain.

Date created: 2012-03-24 Name: J. Higgins
Location: Buffalo, NY

"DLX80 QUIET COMFORT 75000 BTU 80%"
We purchased a Heil furnace in 2004. It is now 2012 and we were just told that our inducer motor is shot and we have 3 cracked heat exchangers. The exchangers are guaranteed for 20 years (great). However,the tech advised us that the job would take between 4 and 5 hours at $100.00 an hour labor. The inducer motor would cost $500 to replace, plus labor. We do not feel like sinking over $1000 into an 8 year old furnace. Heil also informed us we are not entitled to any credits. I do feel that we got ripped off. do not buy heil furnaces.

Date created: 2012-03-02 Name: Edgar Kully
Location: Vancouver BC

"Love my Heil. Never had any problems"
I had my heil professionally installed 5 years ago on my rental and love the furnace. Its very quiet unlike other furnaces like the Goodman I previously owned. Never had any problems and been saving me about 20% on my energy bill. Thank you Heil!

Date created: 2012-01-24 Name: Denise Sheldon
Location: Riverview, MI

"This furnace could make ice cubes"
In the five years I've owned this furnace, it's been "fixed" by several different licensed repairmen, somewhere between 7 and 11 times (I lost count). It was "fixed" again three days ago (1/19/12) and the "fix" lasted exactly five hours. When I called the repairman back, he said the furnace was a very poor specimen and hardly worth even trying to fix. I live in Michigan. It's winter. It's 10 degrees outside and so low inside that the temperature won't even register on my thermostat! I'm a great grandmother living on Social Security. I can't afford another repairman, let alone a new furnace. When they eventually find my frozen body, I'll be wearing a toe tag that reads, "Compliments of Heil!"

Date created: 2012-01-03 Name: darrell king
Location: miltom wva

"Heil heat ac pack"
Bought and installed a new heil gas pac and ac, 2007 had too replace the fan motor replaced, broke down again December 6th, up on closer inspection it didn't have a fan limit switch, it had a knock out for it, but was left out at the factory, now the heat exchanger is cracked in several places and the control board is bad, called the factory they won't take responsibility,no heat no money too fix it,no heat and it's the dead winter. Don't buy a heil.

Date created: 2011-12-23 Name: Eric Halpern
Location: Wayne, PA

"Too much Combustion Moisture"
I just had the 4th smart valve installed in 11 years. Furnace new in May 2000. New smart valves in New valves in November 2005, October 2007 & December 2011. These are expensive! As I see it, two problems exist. Heil has a combustion and or venting issue that causes too much water to come back at the exhaust connection. This water is likely the result of combustion and not from the chimney. (My chimney is on interior walls and it has a cap on it to keep animals out... so it's not rain.) Second, Honeywell should be using a conformal coating on the PCB's to make it impossible for water to damage their circuitry. Condensation water has killed the last three valves in my unit and a neighbor that has the same exact unit in the same exact house. To make things worse, I've learned that both Honeywell and Heil really don't want to discuss this with consumers. The only way to get any satisfaction is by your hvac repair company going to bat for you. I understand that heaters are potentially dangerous devices, but companies treat us like idiots. I'd only buy a Heil again if the dealer/install had a long history with a specific model in a specific housing development.

Date created: 2011-11-03 Name: M Berdel
Location: Colts Neck, NJ

"Heil Problem After Problem"
Had a high efficiency heat and a/c unit installed in February 2008. So far I had to have refrigerant 401a replaced in 2010. There was no leak. Weird right. Now in June 2011 the a/c doesn't work again. Technician says I need a complete blower unit with module and motor plus a new condenser. Installed under warranty. Great! Now I turn on my heat October 2011 and the same thing happens. Technician says I need a new blower unit with module and motor. New computer. Sounds like a lemon. Distributor will not give installer parts because he said I received the parts once already. I contacted Heil and they said its still under warranty no matter if it was already changed. Paid top dollar and unit consistently breaks down. I would not recommend Heil to anyone. Does anyone else have this problem?

Date created: 2011-10-19 Name: Scott
Location: Madison

"Just replaced the second smart valve"
Just replaced the second smart valve (gas valve). Each smart valve costs $500. Technician said that this is a typical problem.