Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2008-03-01 Name: Tom M.
Location: Clifton Park, NY

I'm sorry to say I have a NTGM model, 92% efficiency. It's 10 years old. I just spent $350 on an inducer. A piece of the hub on the old one broke off. It caused a severe vibration, which was transmitted to the furnace, the ductwork, the floor of my house, and my rib cage. And heavens was it loud. The igniter is unreliable, even though it's been professionally cleaned several times. I can count on spending a couple hundred dollars a year on unexpected maintenance. If you're reading this and thinking of buying a Heil furnace - don't do it. As for the people here who think they're so wonderful, make me an offer on mine. I promise you I wouldn't be reluctant to part with it. This will be the last Heil product I'll ever own in my life.

Date created: 2008-02-22 Name: Perry P

"Highly dependable and would buy again."
I installed my Heil furnace 10 years ago. With minimal maintenance, the only problem has been a failed gas valve at the 7 year mark. My unit does not exhibit the noise level described in other reviews. I found the Heil to be highly dependable and would buy again.
Date created: 2008-02-06 Name: A. Flick
Location: Pennsylvania

"I've never had it fail or have not replaced a part."
I personally own a gnk 90% gas furnace that I installed in my home. To this day I've never had it fail or have not replaced a part. I am also a Heil dealer/installer and I'm here to tell everyone out there that 9 times out of 10 if you have a problem with your furnace especially the heat exchanger its not the problem of the furnace its the problem of the install or improper changing of the air filter. Being a service women of many different brands of furnaces I can tell you the problems you mention control boards, ignitors, etc. are sometimes caused from power surges or moisture. I have changed control boards on every line of furnaces York, Bryant, Rheem, RUUD, and yes a few of the icp line. But I'm here to tell you that on a average I install approx. 45 icp units a year and out of the 460 units installed over a ten year period I have lost 2 control boards, 3 exhaust fans, 0 heat exchangers, 0 blower motors, 1 compressor, 6 24v ignitors, and 1 gas valve. Compared to other furnaces and parts replaced on other lines that is exceptional.
Date created: 2007-11-29 Name: James Hamblin
Location: Dexter, KY

I have a HEIL propane gas unit model PGAA42E1K3. In 11 years I have had it serviced to the point that the serviceman no longer answers my calls. It has had the igniter changed about every year. The heat exchanger has been replaced once and the burner assembly twice. Now the new serviceman tells me that I need another heat exchanger, again. For the cost of the items, I should have bought from another manufacturer.
Date created: 2007-10-16 Name: Bill Yskamp
Location: Watkins Glen, NY

Twelve years and I am replacing it the heat exchanger went bad. I believe that a furnace in a dry heated cellar should last longer than that. the lenox furnace that was replaced was used when installed in the 50's and was still running in the 90's when we wanted a more modern unit. it would probably still be running
Date created: 2007-10-01 Name: K Lokker
Location: Toronto, ON

Our furnace is 10 years old, we have owned our home for 4 of those years. We have not gone one winter without a problem. The ignitor has failed, a valve has been replaced and just recently the heat exchanger has failed. Heil will cover the part BUT the labout is quoted at approx $600-700 and with the design of the heat exchanger I have been informed that it could very likely happen again. We are getting a new furnace this week. NOT a Heil!
Date created: 2007-09-18 Name: SAM
Location: BUFFALO NY

80% HEIL Gas Furnace. The gas valve went after 5 years. It was under warranty, so I "only" paid $100 for a service call to install the $500 part. It has developed another problem, in that the the burners ignite momentarily, then flame out. This cycle occurs several times before the burners kick on. I'm replacing it with a 90 or 92% and will probably go with a Bryant. IF CONSIDERING A HEIL, CHECK THE FINE PRINT ON THEIR WARRANTY- IT SAYS YOU MUST HAVE A CERTIFIED CONTRACTOR "PERFORM ANNUAL MAINTENANCE" TO VALIDATE THE 7 YEAR WARRANTY. In other words, you have to spend $70-80 on a housecall for a service tech to blow dust off your burners. Pathetic.
Date created: 2007-09-07 Name: W. Olmstead
Location: Edmonton, AB

I'll add my JUNK vote to the rest. In 13 years of owning the product, I've rarely gone through a winter without a failure - usually limit switches, but I'm on to my 3rd induction unit motor. I keep convinciny myself that this is the last repair for a while, but I'm now pricing it's replacement.
Date created: 2007-02-19 Name: W Heinrich
Location: Thunder Bay,Ontario,Canada

After twelve years the inducer blower unit went.Prices from $300 to almost $400 U.S.The motor is fine but the plastic fan inside has hairline cracks around the motor shaft,causing it to wobble.I also replaced the control board under warranty after 2 years.
Date created: 2007-02-15 Name: Burdell Boltjes
Location: Worthington, Minnesota

Very disatified Seems like every year we need to replace something new on this lemon furnace.Just cost us $300 6 weeks ago, Now it is disable again. Its -13 degrees outside and the furnace will not ignite, I will never recomend anybody installing a Heil furnace, Bought it to save on heat bills but spend more on maintiance than we do on fuel. What kind of company is Heil.