Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2008-05-03 Name: M. Smoley
Location: Westfield, WI

I have a Heil 92% high eff. furnace. We have had troubles with the gas value supposedly. They have been making clicking noises. The first one started making clicking noise around year 2006. In November 2007 we replaced the gas value. Now 6 months later this one is clicking to. It also is shutting down the furnace. HVAC Mechanic came out with new gas valve. When he turned on furnace to check everything. The new one also is clicking and furnace is shutting down again. He is checking out with some tech people. I also need help on this. Could it be the circuit board or the wiring harness?

Date created: 2008-05-01 Name: Nelson and Alison Mathiesen
Location: Woolstock, Iowa

Ours is a GHK 90% unit the only problems we have had has been one HVAC blower motor, 6 years ago, and we just replaced the induce/exhaust blower assembly in late April 2008. Our Monarch Wood Burner is also attached to the supply and return air ducts with auto/manual dampers. We have had really great operations from both units. Two years ago the Rudd ac gave up and we replaced it with a high efficiency 5-ton unit and evaporator.

Date created: 2008-04-01 Name: grafgulch
Location: Illinois

I have replaced at least 3 Flue Induction Fans in the past 12 years. I hate my furnace with a passion. The inducer is going out again. I just wish the weather would warm up a bit & I wouldn't have to worry about it until next fall, maybe I will win the lottery by then. Did I mention I hate my Kenmore / Heil Furnace???

Date created: 2008-03-31 Name: brett johnson
Location: Hartford, WI

It appears I have owned my Heil longer than any of the other reviewers so maybe one would think my experience doe not relate to the current models. Wrong! Almost every bad fortune people experienced - I have as well. Every year I have a major service call. Just had another Saturday. The two year old igniter went - again. Repair guy was annoyed because the igniter and computer are not for this model. I did not argue with him because we decided to switch the igniter some years ago and now the igniter lasts 2 years instead of 1 year. Had heat exchanger replaced once and the burners 3 times! Sure it was under warranty but labor is not. This product is garbage and you should run away from it. I'm in the building industry (lumber) and it is true about their reputation. Contractor grade - period.

Date created: 2008-03-28 Name: C. Eaddy
Location: Inkster, MI

A piece of junk. Having problems with the flame rectifacation. Change all the parts that needed to be changed and still problems. Problems every year.

Date created: 2008-03-23 Name: john v
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I have had the 2 stage variable speed furnace(H9MPV) from Heil installed in my house for the past three years. This furnace has been quiet and reliable and came with a great warranty. This "n" series Heil was offered to me as well but I understand it was more of a builder's model. If Tom would have spent a little more money maybe he would have had better results. If Tom was in his house for more than 10 Years he should have gotten the higher end unit from Heil to enjoy a better warranty as well as a better result in heating and cooling. My furnace was priced hundreds under the "Lennox" model that they pulled out of here. Let me tell you I don't miss the annual bills of that "Pulse Specialty" unit. Everything was special about that thing. I have saved on hydro and the unit runs on low fire most of the time which makes it as quiet as possible. The installation crew placed isolation collar in my ductwork to eliminate noise vibration but I didn't need it. The unit is quiet.

Date created: 2008-03-01 Name: Tom M.
Location: Clifton Park, NY

I'm sorry to say I have a NTGM model, 92% efficiency. It's 10 years old. I just spent $350 on an inducer. A piece of the hub on the old one broke off. It caused a severe vibration, which was transmitted to the furnace, the ductwork, the floor of my house, and my rib cage. And heavens was it loud. The igniter is unreliable, even though it's been professionally cleaned several times. I can count on spending a couple hundred dollars a year on unexpected maintenance. If you're reading this and thinking of buying a Heil furnace - don't do it. As for the people here who think they're so wonderful, make me an offer on mine. I promise you I wouldn't be reluctant to part with it. This will be the last Heil product I'll ever own in my life.

Date created: 2008-02-22 Name: Perry P

I installed my Heil furnace 10 years ago. With minimal maintenance, the only problem has been a failed gas valve at the 7 year mark. My unit does not exhibit the noise level described in other reviews. I found the Heil to be highly dependable and would buy again.

Date created: 2008-02-06 Name: A. Flick
Location: PA

I personally own a GNK 90% gas furnace that I installed in my home. To this day i've never had it fail or have not replaced a part. I also am a Heil dealer/installer and i'm here to tell everyone out there that 9 times out of 10 if you have a problem with your furnace expecially the heat exchanger its not the problem of the furnace its the problem of the install or improper changing of the air filter. Being a service women of many different brands of furnaces I can tell you the problems you mention controll boards, ignitors, etc. are sometimes caused from power surges or moisture. I have changed controll boards on every line of furnaces York, Bryant, Rheem, RUUD, and yes a few of the ICP line. But i'm here to tell you that on a average I install approx. 45 ICP units a year and out of the 460 units installed over a ten year period I have lost 2 controll boards, 3 exhaust fans, 0 heat exchangers, 0 blower motors, 1 compressor, 6 24V ignitors, and 1 gas valve. Compared to other furnaces and parts replaced on other lines that is exceptional.

Date created: 2007-11-29 Name: James Hamblin
Location: Dexter, KY

I have a HEIL propane gas unit model PGAA42E1K3. In 11 years I have had it serviced to the point that the serviceman no longer answers my calls. It has had the igniter changed about every year. The heat exchanger has been replaced once and the burner assembly twice. Now the new serviceman tells me that I need another heat exchanger, again. For the cost of the items, I should have bought from another manufacturer.