Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2008-10-08 Name: R accountant
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"Retired Accountant"
I have had my old Heil Furnace and Air Conditioning system for 34 years with a very little service needed....Because of rising energy prices I put in a new Heil two stage gas furnace and heat pump (in August 2006). I have saved 51% on my energy usage and my wife says our home has never been so comfortable. I had my system installed by Thompson heating and cooling and I have to say those guys are outstanding. I am confident Thompson's attention to our needs is a big part of why our system operates so well.

Date created: 2008-10-01 Name: JBR
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Great Value & Quality"
I have access to and install almost every major brand, including York, Lennox, Heil, Bryant/Carrier, Trane/American Standard, Goodman, Rheem, etc. It is quite common for a product reputation to suffer due to poor installation. For example, failed inducer motors often are due to improper pvc venting (too many elbows, wrong diameter, etc.). Improper sizing can destroy a heat exchanger, diminish efficiency, affect ignition systems, etc. At the present moment, Heil offers the best warranty, uses a stainless heat exchanger, features a no-hassle replacement warranty, utilizes standard parts for repairs/replacements (no more "smart valve", etc. It isn't a brand name advertised on television nightly so it is usually available at a better value. No modern furnace will last like the huge cast iron and steel monsters that used to be in basements. Those systems are no longer feasible due to (1) required efficiency regulations and (2) the cost to manufacturer to that level would result in $15,000 furnaces. Change your filter, hire a professional you trust and not just the lowest bid, and invest in maintenance. Again, I have access to every major brand - - Heil has been trusted to support the comfort of friends, family members and my own personal home for decades without issues. Please note that most companies manufacturer under several different brand names...and then consumer magazines rank the same model with different badge names differently! The model within a brand and the installation contractor are far more important than the brand.

Date created: 2008-07-23 Name: Kansas Man
Location: Manhattan, KS

"Works great after 3 years"
I had a 14 seer 3 ton unit installed in my 4 bedroom house when I moved in and have had no problems with it. Cools better than the one we replaced (very old). Replaced the furnace at the same...don't know if that helps. Contractor told me that this is a mid-grade unit as the "builder" grade units are not built as well.

Date created: 2008-07-15 Name: A. Philip
Location: Toronto, ON

"JUNK"
Our home purchased in 1999 had a Heil. First service check in 2000 revealed pinholes in heat exchanger. Four years later same failure. icp replaced entire unit with its Tempstar 9mpv. Now after four years with this unit, the blower started acting up, making grinding noises at low speed, and intermittently not kicking up to proper speed. Service techs chased their tails over multiple service visits replacing every part associated with blower. The day after they replaced the last part, on the blower motor control unit, the blower suddenly stopped working altogether. Needless to say, I am now replacing the unit with a different brand and using a new HVAC contractor.

Date created: 2008-05-13 Name: Bestech
Location: Iowa

I am a Nate certified service tech for over 10 years and I think Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire and Comfort Maker products are made to last a very shot time. The heat exchangers are constantly going bad. They also have very expensive inducer motors that are noisy and do not last very long. I think Ruud or an American Standard furnace is the route to go for a quality furnace. But remember you can buy the best furnace on earth. If it is not installed properly you will have problems. I would also highly recommend installing a furnace with a variable speed blower motor. You will save more on your electric than gas.

Date created: 2008-05-08 Name: A. Flick

To the person that just entered his opinion 10yr. for the exhaust fan? Can't wait for you to purchase another brand if you think thatís bad. As for $200 maint. a year I think your contractor is ripping you off. They have replaced the ignition system with a new igniter no more smart-valve system. Besides if you clean your furnace every couple years ($40) if your contractor is doing his job you should never have this problem. As for the review from KY with the PGA furnace, thatís not a Heil model number that's a York.

Date created: 2008-05-03 Name: M. Smoley
Location: Westfield, WI

I have a Heil 92% high eff. furnace. We have had troubles with the gas value supposedly. They have been making clicking noises. The first one started making clicking noise around year 2006. In November 2007 we replaced the gas value. Now 6 months later this one is clicking to. It also is shutting down the furnace. HVAC Mechanic came out with new gas valve. When he turned on furnace to check everything. The new one also is clicking and furnace is shutting down again. He is checking out with some tech people. I also need help on this. Could it be the circuit board or the wiring harness?

Date created: 2008-05-01 Name: Nelson and Alison Mathiesen
Location: Woolstock, Iowa

Ours is a GHK 90% unit the only problems we have had has been one HVAC blower motor, 6 years ago, and we just replaced the induce/exhaust blower assembly in late April 2008. Our Monarch Wood Burner is also attached to the supply and return air ducts with auto/manual dampers. We have had really great operations from both units. Two years ago the Rudd ac gave up and we replaced it with a high efficiency 5-ton unit and evaporator.

Date created: 2008-04-01 Name: grafgulch
Location: Illinois

I have replaced at least 3 Flue Induction Fans in the past 12 years. I hate my furnace with a passion. The inducer is going out again. I just wish the weather would warm up a bit & I wouldn't have to worry about it until next fall, maybe I will win the lottery by then. Did I mention I hate my Kenmore / Heil Furnace???

Date created: 2008-03-31 Name: brett johnson
Location: Hartford, WI

It appears I have owned my Heil longer than any of the other reviewers so maybe one would think my experience doe not relate to the current models. Wrong! Almost every bad fortune people experienced - I have as well. Every year I have a major service call. Just had another Saturday. The two year old igniter went - again. Repair guy was annoyed because the igniter and computer are not for this model. I did not argue with him because we decided to switch the igniter some years ago and now the igniter lasts 2 years instead of 1 year. Had heat exchanger replaced once and the burners 3 times! Sure it was under warranty but labor is not. This product is garbage and you should run away from it. I'm in the building industry (lumber) and it is true about their reputation. Contractor grade - period.