Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2008-12-02 Name: D Bryant
Location: Windsor, NC

"No service availible."
Unit installed wrong by contractor, Poor ground was the problem. Techs worked on it for three days until the right "trained" tech found the ground problem. Unit had repairs every year for 12 years until an update was made. I kept it on service contract until just a few years ago. Now service is usually just igniter but, control was just replaced and it is out again. My area had no one that had seen a furnace without a pilot light. I still get confused looks from gas people when I tell them about it.

Date created: 2008-11-01 Name: G.W.
Location: Summerville, SC

"Rusted heat exchanger"
Have 10 year old air conditioner/furnace, Model # pgad30d1ka. New unit installed in new house in 1998. We've been in the house since 2001. Air conditioner has been fine. Heat didn't come on this season. Bad (rusted at weld seams) heat exchanger and flame rollout sensor. Service contractor can repair for $2400 but would prefer to sell me a new Carrier for $5000. I mean, come on, how often do we need to use the heat in this part of South Carolina? We use the air more than anything. Clearly a design/materials issue to only last 10 years. I noticed their newer models have heat exchangers made with stainless steel and come with a 25 year warranty. My warranty would have expired last month (10 year but only for original owner with yearly service calls). Not a happy camper here.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: Kristin Hill
Location: New Memphis, IL

"Mrs."
Where do I begin? I have had a Heil furnace and air conditioner installed on 10/29/04. My first Heil to own by strong recommendations. All I can say is that I have had nothing but trouble with both units. To make things worse, the man that installed it will not stick behind his work nor will he return phone calls. He should not be allowed to represent Heil and do such horrible work. I have had to call other dealers for Heil and low and behold my installer finally calls. I should not have to go through this every time I need service. Which by way has been a total of six times that one unit or the other has needed service. When you pay almost $5000.00 for HVAC, you would think that it should work properly. I am not sure at this point if this is a lemon of a furnace or could it be that the installer is not qualified to perform HVAC work. All I know is that I am not done trying to get this situation taken care of. If I have to, I will take it all the way to the top.

Date created: 2008-10-23 Name: R. Martin
Location: Superior, Wisconsin

"Heil 700 Super High Efficiency Gas Furnace"
I purchased this gas furnace in 1994. The exhaust blower unit lasted twelve years, since then I have replaced it three times! It seems the bearings just don't hold up under normal operating conditions.

Date created: 2008-10-22 Name: Becky Green
Location: Grand Rapids, MN

"Heil furnace - LOUD banging"
My furnace makes an extremely loud banging noise a few minutes after it kicks in. Service techs cannot figure out what it is. Help!! Any ideas??

Date created: 2008-10-20 Name: Ed Bay
Location: Indiana

"Poor Poor Quality Heil"
Brand New Unit installed by an incompetent HVAC Contractor (Pipe Dreams) Bedford, IN. We have had trouble every year with this furnace!! I would not recommend any Heil Product.

Date created: 2008-10-08 Name: R accountant
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"Retired Accountant"
I have had my old Heil Furnace and Air Conditioning system for 34 years with a very little service needed....Because of rising energy prices I put in a new Heil two stage gas furnace and heat pump (in August 2006). I have saved 51% on my energy usage and my wife says our home has never been so comfortable. I had my system installed by Thompson heating and cooling and I have to say those guys are outstanding. I am confident Thompson's attention to our needs is a big part of why our system operates so well.

Date created: 2008-10-01 Name: JBR
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Great Value & Quality"
I have access to and install almost every major brand, including York, Lennox, Heil, Bryant/Carrier, Trane/American Standard, Goodman, Rheem, etc. It is quite common for a product reputation to suffer due to poor installation. For example, failed inducer motors often are due to improper pvc venting (too many elbows, wrong diameter, etc.). Improper sizing can destroy a heat exchanger, diminish efficiency, affect ignition systems, etc. At the present moment, Heil offers the best warranty, uses a stainless heat exchanger, features a no-hassle replacement warranty, utilizes standard parts for repairs/replacements (no more "smart valve", etc. It isn't a brand name advertised on television nightly so it is usually available at a better value. No modern furnace will last like the huge cast iron and steel monsters that used to be in basements. Those systems are no longer feasible due to (1) required efficiency regulations and (2) the cost to manufacturer to that level would result in $15,000 furnaces. Change your filter, hire a professional you trust and not just the lowest bid, and invest in maintenance. Again, I have access to every major brand - - Heil has been trusted to support the comfort of friends, family members and my own personal home for decades without issues. Please note that most companies manufacturer under several different brand names...and then consumer magazines rank the same model with different badge names differently! The model within a brand and the installation contractor are far more important than the brand.

Date created: 2008-07-23 Name: Kansas Man
Location: Manhattan, KS

"Works great after 3 years"
I had a 14 seer 3 ton unit installed in my 4 bedroom house when I moved in and have had no problems with it. Cools better than the one we replaced (very old). Replaced the furnace at the same...don't know if that helps. Contractor told me that this is a mid-grade unit as the "builder" grade units are not built as well.

Date created: 2008-07-15 Name: A. Philip
Location: Toronto, ON

"JUNK"
Our home purchased in 1999 had a Heil. First service check in 2000 revealed pinholes in heat exchanger. Four years later same failure. icp replaced entire unit with its Tempstar 9mpv. Now after four years with this unit, the blower started acting up, making grinding noises at low speed, and intermittently not kicking up to proper speed. Service techs chased their tails over multiple service visits replacing every part associated with blower. The day after they replaced the last part, on the blower motor control unit, the blower suddenly stopped working altogether. Needless to say, I am now replacing the unit with a different brand and using a new HVAC contractor.