Consumer Reviews of Heil furnaces

Read more about Heil furnaces

Date created: 2016-11-11 Name: James C
Location: G.R., MI

"Poor Replacement"
Bought a Heil 80% furnace & a/c system back in 2010. It was installed by an independant contractor that had 25 yrs of experience that worked for a local well known company before leaving to start his own hvac co. He recommended the Heil brand (under the same corporate umbrella -United Technologies- as Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Arcoaire, Tempstar, Day and Night, Comfortmaker, Keep Rite, Airquest, Maratherm). After the initial installation, he had to come out 3 times that summer for a/c issues (coil kept freezing up) and as that years winter was setting in he had to come out again to do another repair to get the furnace to fire. The following spring he had to come out to repair the a/c unit once again due to the a/c unit not working. 2 more service calls as summer started for the same issue along with low freon, again. That fall, he was back out for the furnace failing to fire. The third year he had to come out to recharge the system again due to loss of freon in which he found no leaks (smae as previous years; it was just "eating" the refrigerant as he stated and was mind boggled by it). That winter he was out to fix a squeaking noise (I assume the inducer motor and he oiled the bearings instead of replacing the [email protected] thing). Fourth year with the unit it was perfect although it did run constantly in the summer especially on hot days (causing the electric bill to be very high). Fifth year with the unit it needed two more repairs, once in the spring and once in the fall. Now here in the 6th year I have an inducer motor that frooze and became so hot to the touch I am lucky my house didn't burn to the ground. The pressure switches are bad (been doing my own diagnosis because the contractor told me it had a 5 yr warranty and considering he claims the warranty is expired, I said what the hell do I have to loose?). Parts are on warranty (I did register it within the 90 days to get the 10 year parts warranty after he installed the sytem even though he claims it isn't and probably won't be now), I still would have to pay for labor if I can get him to replace the parts that I believe are still under warranty. My previous system was a Bryant that lasted 26 years before lightning hit the a/c unit and this contractor talked me into replacing the entire system due to age and incapatibility with new Bryant a/c units at the time. My furnace was working like a champ when that occurred. Also this is suppose to be "energy efficient" and yet my utility bills are higher now then with the Bryant that was installed in 1985. I am now considering purchasing a new system in spring '17 because this is ridiculous. I wouldn't have another "Peil" even if you gave me the top of the line free of charge. Yet like anything, you can get a lemon, and well, I guess I got squeezed.

Date created: 2016-01-16 Name: V. Oriole
Location: New York

"Heil gas furnace"
This gas furnace is 1 year and half years old. First 2 months had to replace the motor & circuit board. Now the LED light is flashing 3 after the furnace has been running. After the burner goes off it will come back on in 15 to 20 seconds. Was told it needed a new air pump. It was put in one day ago and worked for 1 hour. It's back to doing the same thing. This furnace is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Looks like I will be looking for a new brand of furnace.

Date created: 2016-01-11 Name: J Bob
Location: Iowa

"Purge blower failure"
The purge blower seized up after only 3 1/2 years of use. Our old Goodman we replaced, ran 20 years with no problems. I sure am glad I paid more and bought a quality brand name like Heil. Not! UPDATE 6/37/16: After replacing the purge blower that seized up this past winter (01/16), the main blower motor went out in the middle of our AC season. Heil is using cheap pos electric motors in their new furnaces. The motors should last more than 4 years.

Date created: 2015-10-06 Name: Mark Franks
Location: Akron, OH

"Inaccurate reviews"
As I am reading these reviews I can't help but laugh. Heil is getting a bad rap by people who don't understand the root of the issues posted. I am a Heil Dealer in the Akron Ohio area and I am hear to tell you that a lot of these complaints are install related. I have been to the factory where these are built and they have nothing but the highest quality expectations, and guess what - they are made by the same manufacturer that makes Bryant and Carrier. These are very unfair claims against Heil. A lot of the complaints are also on older units. Give me a break. I don't care what you buy, if the equipment you purchase is not installed right nothing will last. Heil is an American made product built with pride. Keep this review in mind next time you shop for your new HVAC system and don't get caught up in all the misconception.

Date created: 2015-06-01 Name: mark hess
Location: Orchard Park, NY

"Furnace & AC"
Replaced the blower twice in four years. The AC core leaked and was replaced. The furnace and AC unit were installed in June 2010. The unit is complete junk.

Date created: 2015-05-27 Name: Denis Ledoux
Location: Massachusetts

"Heil furnace heat exchanger rivets"
I just had an energy audit on my home. The auditor found that my Heil furnace output was 35000 ppm of CO, the output should be 100 ppm or less. This is a known problem with Heil models, that the rivets in the heat exchanger shear and fail causing this high CO output. I was told my heating system would be condemned, I am now facing a 4000 dollar or more replacement cost.

Date created: 2015-04-28 Name: J.Frank
Location: New Berlin, WI

"31-plus years trouble free!"
Long story short- I purchased a home back in 2005 and, according to my Heil paperwork, this was installed in around August of 1984. To date in 11 years, there have been no service calls and no problems. I'm looking at another Heil - just hoping and praying for another one like this to last me well into retirement!

Date created: 2015-03-27 Name: J. Sobczak
Location: Germantown, WI

"Noisy blower motor"
Purchased 7/16/14, it was installed correctly and checked twice after installation. The blower motor is loud and makes a vibrating sound when it winds down just before it stops. It's loud during the day and with no other noises mixed in it sounds really loud at night. The installer checked it out and said he could change out the motor but said the new one would act the same, referring to one he had at his own home for several years that does the same thing. I wish he would have told me about that before I purchased it, but I guess I am doing the same for other interested parties to know before purchase.

Date created: 2015-02-18 Name: dan
Location: PA

"Do not buy one of these!"
This furnace was installed less than a year ago and has never run more than 3 days at a time. I have spent more than triple the cost of installing it on 4 different very reputable HVAC contractors and none can fix it. All say the problem is with the condensate system but no matter what is done it will not function properly. Heil tech support does not exist and the dealer that sold the unit just says "sorry to hear that, mine works fine". The only option is to replace it to have heat more than 3 days at a time. Thank you for wasting my time and hard earned money, Heil.

Date created: 2015-02-06 Name: Steve Attoe
Location: Wisconsin

"Absolute crap!"
I bought a new furnace and central ac from Heil. It's less than 10 years old and the heat exchanger rivets sheared off! Then I find out the unit has a recall - warranty? But Heil would not stand behind it because I did not have the company that installed it service it every year! What a bunch of bull. What was paying them $100 every year to "clean and inspect it" every year going to do to keep the rivets from shearing off? The bi-ch I talked to from Heil really got a kick out of telling me they were not going to help me because I didn't have it serviced yearly! Never again!