Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN furnaces

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2011-09-16 Name: Bucktail
Location: Northern Wisconsin

"GSU100-4"
Don't like Goodman Furnace GSU100-4. Gone through 3 Control boards. Repaired one once and looks like that one has failed too. Fan kicks up to much moisture in the summer when the ac is on. Looking forward to when I can put in a different brand.

Date created: 2011-09-12 Name: Don L
Location: beltsville Md

"Installer"
Every time I see that someone is dissatisfied with Goodman or Amana, it is always the equipment. Which simply isn't true. I install everything from Carrier, Trane, Payne, York, and everything fails! Everything! Now it doesn't mean its dead, it just means that you had to call a technician for a repair. It is 99% of the time the installation, or the equipment is too big for the house because someone buys a furnace on line and tries to install it themselves. Then for trying to save face, the owner blames the equipment! I have been doing this for 22 years, and selling Goodman/Amana equipment for 17. I don't think I would be in business this long if I sold Bad Equipment! I love Goodman and Amana equipment. And believe me if the installation is bad, you will have years of problems with anything you buy.

Date created: 2011-09-07 Name: Mike B. Martisko

"Installation problem, I don't think so?"
I am a General Contractor in West Virginia and have been so for nearly 40 years. Starting back in 2003, I began installing furnaces for a rental property owner I have done contract work for. While working at one of her properties, one of the furnaces quit working, and she asked me if I could install a new one. I looked at it and said yes. I removed the old unit, picked up a comparable Goodman unit from a local supplier. I set the unit in place and connected everything as the booklet instructed. Worked fine until building was sold and torn down, almost 5 years. However, after the installation of the first one, I was again asked to replace another one in yet another property. (Oh by the way, the first had a problem, which turned out to be a bad fuse from the factory.) Again, I removed the old unit and installed a brand new Goodman, kept having problems of not running, but discovered that the vent grids provided with the furnace, which I put into the induction air hole on the furnace, did not run pipe to outside, was restricting the air flow, basement area was more then sufficient to supply air to furnace. Next I was asked to install an entire system in another rental property. I did so, running trunk line and takeoffs, cold air return, gas line electric, it all, however, when I finished installing this one, unbeknownst to me, the local gas company had to inspect it, it was gigged because the cold air return wrapped around the gas line, which was existing, and could not be rerouted, I realized as soon as the gas man told me, why it was a problem, leaking could be extremely hazardous, I resolved the problem, the gas man returned, and the unit passed inspection and was put into service, and there has not been a problem since. Now, I installed one more unit for this same person, purchased on her account, at the same supplier, however, in this instance I was removing an ancient bulky 180,000 btu unit. I went to the supplier, told them what I was removing, and they provided me with the largest unit available 118,000btu. The also provided all the other accessories necessary to set and hookup the furnace, switch/fuse box, inline shutoff for gas, cold air return plenum, as well as the plenum. This unit operated without incident from October 2004 thru March of 2009. I could not discern the problem, so the supplier sent technicians to check it out, they pushed the roll out switch a couple of times and said the heat exchanger was bad, due to improper installation. Now this supplier, knew that I was not a trained installer, yet he continued to sell the units, without making any disclaimer about the warranty. The supplier would not replace the unit, and the person I did the work for expects me to pay for a brand new unit, plus the installation of same.

Date created: 2011-08-23 Name: K. Tran
Location: Phila. PA

"I would like to joint in filing a lawsuit against Goodman"
After one summer the motor doesn't work. A month later the electronic circuit burn. The second summer the motor doesn't work again, a month and half later the line is frozen and the service man can not find any leaking area. The technician service told me have to change filter one a month and I did it, now he is claim that the filter is bad he is want me to change every 2 weeks.

Date created: 2011-08-03 Name: Carol
Location: Sterling,IL

"GM9090"
We have had this furnace for 6 years and this is our 3rd cage and motor we have had to put on it.This will be the last time we put anymore parts on this unit. I am going to buy a different brand and it will not be GOODMAN.When I called Goodman they do not understand why I am having this problem, but when I googled the model # it sounds like this problem happen more often than not.The furnace is installed right so I think this furnace is poorly made or a poor design. I will never buy Goodman products again.

Date created: 2011-07-19 Name: Furnace Man
Location: Ontario

"Overall, Goodman is good"
I've been installing and serving gas furnaces for over 40 years. I have installed many Goodman units. In comparison to the many brands I have worked on over the years, overall I've had no problems with the Goodman line. Warranty is good. Replacement parts are less expensive when the warranty does expire. Overall, good value for the money. Like any machine they do have the odd breakdown, but they are easy to fix as parts are easily accessible for removal and replacement. From my experience most problems are not because of equipment failure but from human failure in selecting the right equipment and installing it. The person doing the work is the most important aspect of the job with small knowledgeable contractors usually outperforming the large guys in satisfaction.

Date created: 2011-06-17 Name: john a
Location: chicago

"Don't install yourself"
Never install a furnace or A/C system yourself unless you know about: duct design, static pressures, cfms, subcooling, super heat, venting tables, register/grill sizing, dampers, dehumidifacation, infiltration, Manual "J", heat gain, solar gain, air exchangers, N-S exposure, E-W window exposure, temp rise, ventilation, make up air, control voltage, feed voltage, voltage drop, wire size, wire length, local codes and many other related items needed for a proper installation!! If a person does not understand what I just listed, they should not be installing anything!! The equipment will fail and the owner will blame the manufacture. I have seen this over and over and over. A do-it-yourselfer always blaims the equipment, then says he is unsatisfied.

Date created: 2011-06-15 Name: john skates
Location: Chicago Illinois

"You people crack me up BIG TIME"
I have read many of the unsatisfied complaints, I gotta tell ya something, all of you folks are nuts!!! I am a HVAC contractor for 30 years I have installed many name brands. The most common problems you are having are due to: poor installations, over/under sized equipment, bad ductwork design, poor insulation of the home, bad thermostats, incompetent service people, neglect of filters, dirty outside coils and many other reasons. its not the equipment!!!! The compressers and parts have a 10 year warranty if you register on line. What more do you want?? Some of you folks are getting "taken" on the cost of parts. This is the company you hired!! Don't get me wrong things do break.. But, over and over and over???? This is the service persons lack of experiance not the equipmant.

Date created: 2011-06-14 Name: Dave
Location: Portage, IN.

"I'm buying a Goodman GMVC95!!!"
I obtained a Universal license after taking one refrigeration course. To the guy that thinks the average person cannot do a fantastic job of installing a hvac system, your wrong. To the men out there willing to try their hand at this, obtain a universal license and find a friend that does this work. Save yourself about half on installation. This type of work is not rocket science. Do your homework and you'll be fine. P.S. just fixed my condenser outside and saved myself about $400.00 that a so called tech would have charged me! Oh, that's right, he would have told me it was trash and sold me a new condenser. No thanks!!! P.S. a lot of these units on the market are junk. Sorry if I believe the guy with bad heat exchangers. I'll say it again junk!!! Do your homework on sizing BTUs etc. and you'll be fine. Buy a Goodman next time!!

Date created: 2011-06-04 Name: K Clarke
Location: Dixon, IL

"Hmmm...stupid contractor"
I have a Goodman. It was installed last fall, and has saved me lots of bucks in gas price. I used to pay over 200 bucks in winter weather, and last winter only had a little over 100 bucks per month. I recently had a problem with mine, but I have found out it isn't with the furnace, it's with my central air unit. It wasn't even the central air unit, it was with the guy that has been re-doing my electrical to my circuit breakers. He was dropping down my circuit breaker box (since I've had all new electrical done) and had un-hooked the electrical to my central air unit. He hadn't finished re-hooking up the central air to the fuse box yet. Hence, it's been a hot house. My furnace man came over today and found the problem, re-hooked up my central air, and walla, problem solved. I have had a problem with the April Air unit though as the controller isn't working accurately, but that may be in the unit itself or it's not hooked up accurately. My furnace man has said he's not familiar with the present controller that was used as it's a newer model, and he's trying to get his boss over to my house to take a look at it. They are swamped with customers, so the brand can't be all that bad, now can it!

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>