Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN furnaces

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2015-01-24 Name: Mark Brunell
Location: Sylvania, OH

"Get anything else!"
I bought a house with a one-year-old Goodman furnace and have had nothing but problems! I have had 3 different service people out, and they all say the same thing - they are junk! My sister bought a house and it needed a new furnace. The guy talked her into a Goodman and she has had the same experience as I; in fact, everyone I talk to that has had one relates the same stories - poor quality, followed with lies about the warranties. So get a Goodman if you like to live on the edge and have no heat every time it gets really cold. Have a Goodman if you don't want to be able to leave your house in the winter, because the furnace will break down yet again!

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Bill
Location: Northwest Ohio

"Internet sales & improper installation"
I have been installing Goodman equipment for over 10 years. They have been very dependable, but there will always be failures (most are due to improper installation). I have never had a problem with warranty parts. If you purchase your Goodman from an authorized dealer/installer you will never have to worry about warranty issues. I get parts the same day without issue or any money changing hands. If you take it upon yourself to buy equipment from an "internet supplier" and install it yourself, or have your used car salesman buddy install it because, "It ain't that hard and you'll save tons of money", then you get what you deserve. Information is power! Educate yourself. Nobody want to spend more than they have to. But, when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Date created: 2015-01-06 Name: John Dickson
Location: Lockport, IL

"I'd rather rub two stick together to keep warm, or just be cold."
A campfire or a 55-gallon burn drum in the middle of your house would be much less effort and less frustrating to keep going than a damn Goodman furnace. Hell, electric heat would be cheaper in the long run from the money you save from not having to service it all the time. Oh yeah, and their warranty is crap. Let's see, I spent all this money on a product that should last at least past the 5-year parts warranty with no labor, especially being only 3 years old, and I just don't have it left to spend on a service repairman.

Date created: 2014-12-27 Name: chad c.
Location: Independence, MO

"Good and the same as others."
First off, Honeywell and White Rogers makes the safeties and gas valves used in all brands, A.O. Smith and Emerson make the motors for all brands, and Copeland makes the compressors for all brands. The point is, essentially they are the same. Next, it is the installer that makes the difference. I am sure that with all the blower motors that people are having problems with, the installer (home owner or contractor) used a magnahelic gauge or monometer to ensure the duct work was not causing the ESP to be over the fan rating. If not, that was the problem. The people saying they had to replace many gas valves,, I am sure the contractor checked the drain switch on the 90% furnaces and ensured that the trap (the grey box on the side of the furnace) was full of water. If not, they were throwing parts at it and hoping it fixed it and if it didn't, blame the brand. They do honor the 10-year warranty. The equipment has to be registered and not bought online. Those who had a problem with that had a contractor who didn't tell them, or they didn't bother to register the equipment. If you have a contractor refuse to do that, you hired a lazy contractor. I do that as part of my service to my customers and mail the a verification letter to my customers. Also, the heat exchanger issues - did the installer set the manifold gas pressure? If the installer didn't do that then the furnace ran hot and burned up. Notice how things I point out are either technician or installer problems. My back ground: I've been doing HVAC work since 1998. I worked for a Goodman dealer and installed hundreds of Goodman furnaces. I had 5 warranty calls I was on; 2 were bad igniters, the rest from the tinners leaving sheet metal scrap where it should not be, which caused issues. There were also 5 warranty calls I had in 4 years. If your dealer says there is no warranty, they are trying to get over on you and make extra money, or they possibly can't remember were they bought it. Also, ask the dealer about the warranty; my customers get a written statement of what is and isn't covered. I can say this - maintenance is not covered. I have put Goodman in my own house. I deal with this product, and of the 5 systems I have installed with my company in 2 years, I've not had one call about a breakdown or complaint. And a few of those systems are going on 2 years. Do your homework on the contractor and don't assume a cheap install means quality. Remember - quality work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't quality.

Date created: 2014-12-21 Name: Janet Larner
Location: United States

"Do not purchase a Goodman"
Same experience as the very dissatisfied writer of 12/10/14. I'm at my wit's end with this pos. The motherboard was replaced a few days ago for an ongoing problem from the time we purchased it in 2011. The problem is finally solved. In the few days since the repair, there's a new problem - no heat until it decides to work. Never again!

Date created: 2014-12-10 Name: lisa Hindman
Location: Gladwin, MI

"Doesn't matter which one I have because they all suck"
This is the worst company and the worst furnace ever! I have had problems from day one! For 7 years now, every year, we have to call and have the blower motor, the mother board or the gas valve fixed! Every year! Our furnace guy was just here a month ago trying to fix it again and he went through 4 gas valves before the last one finally worked, and for only a month! Now it's starting to act up again! Wtf Goodman, you suck! Fix your problems! I can't believe you're still in business!

Date created: 2014-11-29 Name: Catherine Tran
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Worst unit ever"
In April of 2010, we purchased a Goodman furnace/AC unit. It has never worked properly from day one. In January of 2012 there was no Freon (supposedly the technician said someone must have stolen it!) He had to return twice before discovering holes, resulting in over $1400 in repairs in one year. Goodman and the installer/seller won't do anything about this. Now, in 2014 there is again no Freon. What a rip off. Goodman replied, "Too bad". Unfortunately, we are Canadians trying to deal long-distance with an American company and repair people. Let's hope the new repair company can at least repair for good this rotten piece of s**t.

Date created: 2014-11-05 Name: Chuck
Location: Indiana

"Great product when installed correctly and serviced"
I have been a heating and cooling contractor for 30 years and have installed and serviced all brand of furnaces. I have found that, more often than not, the problems that most people have with their furnace is either due to a poor installation or not having them serviced - mainly, replacing filters in a timely manner. Then, when the customer starts having problems, all of a sudden they say it's a piece of junk. Many of the parts on Goodman furnaces are the same as many of the other brands. United Technology makes most of the boards for many other brands, Fasco makes the inducement blower, Robertshaw or Honeywell makes the gas valves, Texas Instruments makes many of the other components. The same with the ignitors. All in all, Goodman furnaces are a very well-built furnace, and I have never had problems with Goodman's customer service or warranty. I have even had parts that were out of warranty still covered weeks, and even a couple of months, after the warranty was over.

Date created: 2014-10-27 Name: Brandon
Location: Texas

"No complaints, except one"
I was a maintenance tech at an apartment complex. I ordered a furnace and condenser unit, and when they arrived, I had to modify the furnace in order to install it (the opening for return air was on the bottom, and I needed it on the back). No big deal. I did the modification to the box so that the unit would pull return air from the bottom as well as the back. In the process of doing so, I noticed that the heat exchanger had sustained significant damage at some point. Now, I know you are thinking that I did it. I was being watched by someone else who can verify that I came nowhere near the exchanger, nor did I use anything that could cause this damage. It appeared that one of the tubes in the heat exchanger had something jammed completely through it at some point. I had to complete the installation, as it was for an elderly couple and the heat was sweltering. I did not hook up the gas, because if I did and they ran it there would be significant chance of CO poisoning. I had my manager contact the supplier, who put her in contact with Goodman, and if I remember correctly everything turned out just fine. I see a lot of negative reviews on here. I have installed numerous Goodman units, including one on a small Mexican restaurant that ran constantly due to the heat load, and I can say this - when installed correctly to ensure no moisture, noncondensables or other impurities are introduced into the line set, when proper voltage, etc. is used, these units work just fine. Goodmans that I installed a couple years ago are still running strong. As for capacitors going bad, that is considered normal wear and tear and they are cheap to replace. I have yet to find one that broke down from poor craftsmanship, and prefer them over all other budget-based AC systems, including Gibson.

Date created: 2014-10-27 Name: April
Location: Hammond, Indiana

"Garbage"
I bought the furnace new, and 1 year later it needed a part. A couple of years later, it got red tagged from the gas and electric company. They said I was lucky my house didn't blow up! A couple of years later, after fixing it, it messed up again! I was told by three different furnace repairmen that this furnace is junk! Do yourself a favor and don't purchase a Goodman furnace!!

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>