Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN furnaces

Read more about GOODMAN furnaces

<< Previous1112131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2010-01-25 Name: Tracy Zurcher

"Goodman furnace Beware"
We have had more problems with this furnace than you can shake a stick at. Replaced ignitor switch twice, valves twice, now cracks in 2 of four heat exchangers. We have already sunk nearly $800 into repairs, and my children woke up to a cold house again today!

Date created: 2010-01-21 Name: Paul

"Installer / service man"
I have been an installer/service man for over 10 years. I have seen problems with every HVAC-R manufacturer. 99% of the problems with furnaces new to 5 years old are installation problems. I have seen plenty of hack installs, even from guys in my company! I don't care what make of a furnace or air conditioner you have put in your house. If it is not sized for your house and duct work or installed properly, you will have nothing but problems. As for all the complaints of circuit boards that I have seen on this site, the 80% downflow furnaces need to have double wall (b-vent) pipe ran from the inducer motor. I've seen most contractors (my guys included) that would only run single wall pipe inside the furnace. I have seen the heat burn out many circuit boards wire harnesses and pressure switches. Any furnace that I have serviced that was less than 5 years old (Goodman, Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Ruud, etc) was and installation or lack of maintenance issue.

Date created: 2010-01-18 Name: Steve See

"Worst i've ever owned"
Problem after problem. Will never buy another.

Date created: 2010-01-15 Name: A. Cherid

"Goodman is not a good man"
I have a Goodman furnace for just two years and I have to replace the circuit board. Three parts replacement like this, will end up costing the price of a new furnace. All what I can say is: this furnace is a piece of junk.

Date created: 2010-01-09 Name: Mr. Saville

"Goodman = Garbage"
Just bought a house early December with what was told to me to be a 2006 installed Goodman. Well, it's early January and the heat exchanger bought the farm and it now needs to be replaced!! Had my service guy tell me it's actually a 2001 model making it actually 9 years old. Long story short I'm not impressed and I just sold my old house with a brand new Trane which worked amazing!! Well I'm buying a new Ruud and have a really good installer who is local in my town. Goodman is garbage!! Good luck to the previous owners of my home in there next life as a dung beetle!!

Date created: 2010-01-09 Name: Bill

"About to go Goodman..nervous and scared"
I have a 26 year old Sears/Bryant furnace that has given us no problems as we have just moved into this home, but know time-wise I am looking at a change. Want better efficiency and to take worries of having an older furnace out of the equation. The installers are young, but work full time for a reputable HVAC company who has been in business a l-o-n-g time. I have installed a downdraft furnace myself in the past and also added a/c to an f/a furnace that had no a/c so I an not a total newbie. I have read every review here. I tend to agree that the squeaky wheel leaves the bad reviews and the happy people never look at sites like this. Here is my point: I fail to see what the installer could have possibly done to cause at east 90% of the problems quoted here. Sure, if a guy installed a wrong part then he is an idiot likely, but to the installers out there that defend Goodman will you please tell me what you could do wrong to cause repeat blower motor failures...failed heat exchangers in single digit years, sure idiot that just said kill a bad heat tube rather than repair was another idiot, but come on....failing sensors, heat exchangers, motors, multiple ignitors, etc. are difficult to install so incorrectly as to cause repeat failures. It sounds like Goodman has some quality control issues either with part suppliers, in-house testing, etc. My unit will be a 92% dual stage unit with new a coil that will handle r22 or new 410 (?) freon when Armstrong 10 seer goes out. It seems like 95% units have much better quality control. Have the Goodman's improved significantly since 2007-2008? Sorry, but I see a bunch of Goodmans out there that if they were cars would be perfect fits for the lemon laws. I think there can be some fault attributed to install, but this is conjecture. Rarely have we had someone admit that heir issue turned out all the time to be a bad install, just installers who would like to toot their own horns. Unless we know the install was bad, let's not guess but offer a quality installers opinion of exactly what could have been done wrong. I am still on the fence. Two full time employees and an a/c shop want a grand to install a 92% two stage Goodman, new line set to Condenser (newer Armstrong with evidence of a compressor failure. Filters still installed on both lines says it was likely a catastrophic compressor failure. New Line set prudent since condenser stays. New a coil, one return air added, and removal of working unit. They will pull vacuum and fill system. Haul off, etc. $2300 out the door. Current unit is 90,000 btu input on 1700 sq. ft. home. They admitted labor and profit of about $500 each using two men. (I do the pvc pipes through the roof). Easy install in large closet. Crawl is 4' deep with 100% heavy visqueen over all dirt. Straight away job. Small home with one central return air. I could probably do myself being unemployed. Have 40# of fresh r22, manifold set, and own new vacuum pump. I am really concerned about Goodman quality "installer screw-ups". Would like to see installers step-up and address issues as to whether it is likely the installer be given the blame...

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: Paul Kenneth Jordan

"Kennneth Jordan"
Been a very good unit until now. Fan motor went out 18 days ago. Having problems getting a replacement part. I hope we get this motor soon. It's been the coldest winter in years. It's been a very efficient unit. Hopefully, Goodman can get this taken care of soon.

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: T. Gordon

"Kentucky gordon's"
Had it served/cleaned every year. Had to replace a ignitor this year. Over the past 7 years, we have spent 635.00 dollar to maintain and repair the unit.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: Bob

"Goodman downdraft furnace"
Furnace was installed new the year before I bought this house. It has been nothing but problems. The circuit board continues to give random fault numbers, but mostly the impeller fan faults. I've finally figured out that it really is the board that's going bad. The manufacturer hasn't properly soldered the large connector and the board is placed too close to the long flue that the downdraft furnaces have. The net result is a heat related failure at the connector. I will never buy nor recommend a Goodman/Janitrol to anyone.

Date created: 2010-01-04 Name: Betty Deepe

"It's -17 degrees and I have no heat--again!!"
I bought two Goodman furnaces, one for the first floor and one for the second and third floors. The top one is fine and the first one is a real dog! The flames burn about 2-3 minutes and then they cut out and the blower keeps blowing cold air for another 5-6 minutes until the flames cut back on. The thermostat is set at 85 and the house is less than 60 degrees. So far I have a new circuit board, new flame sensor and now the installer is going for a new gas valve. Do I feel duped? Yep.

<< Previous1112131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>