Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN furnaces

Read more about GOODMAN furnaces

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2017-05-16 Name: Jonathan Bowler

"Terrible inducer, heat exchanger issues to come"
I'm a little tired of seeing so many Goodman/Amana products at the top of these lists. I wouldn't write a review but my own experiences and the experiences of most of the techs I know agree that their products in general are not well-made. The Goodman/Amana single-stage inducer is the only inducer motor I stock. I've replaced about 5-8 of them a year for the last 3 seasons, with about 80% of those failing within a month after warranty is up. Besides that I've called Goodman tech support 3 times about a significant flaw in their units that will lead to many $700 repairs down the line, with no real solution offered besides "wait 'til it fails". With a combustion analysis, many of the furnaces in my area are showing signs of eventual heat exchanger failure (symptoms of blockage). From my experience-only based knowledge I give these units an overall lifespan of 10 years until heat exchanger replacement becomes necessary. I've spent a lot of time looking into why these analysis readings show high carbon monoxide readings and very low o2 readings, but have found no root cause as of yet. These readings are very similar to the infamous Carrier secondary heat exchanger failures a few years back that led to a class-action lawsuit. In Goodman's defense, one of their tech support agents did go over all the reasons why it could be reading that way (which I checked). Something is blocking them a bit and I believe it's only a matter of time before it becomes a major problem for Goodman/Amana and its customers. I could be wrong though, of course! Also certain screws in the system, when removed, can no longer be tightened back adequately due to the thin metal used in manufacturing certain components. The control boards also suffer from weak soldering in the back of some of the pin connections on the board. Thankfully for my customers, I bring a soldering kit with me to repair some of these when they fail. But in my area, I might be stuck having to sell equipment I don't like, because it's what people know and get prices on regularly. They have just about the lowest price-point in the area after-all, so they get put in everywhere. Similarly to Lennox, it's a name people recognize, and for some reason I can't understand, they seem to be well-reviewed.

Date created: 2017-03-16 Name: Emily Moser
Location: Tinley Park, IL

"Horrible Furnace - Don't buy"
We have a unit from 2010 - Piece of Crap. Spend your money of something else. 6-7 year old unit not in the dumpster. Buyer Beware!

Date created: 2017-02-21 Name: SHERRY BRETT
Location: Ponca City, OK

"Piece of crap"
Replaced our almost 30 year old unit in September 2013, which was not a Goodman, with this brand big mistake,they may offer a 10 year warranty, but have seen the repairman in July for air conditioner blower went out, in December for flame sensor issue and 2 months later in February 2017 for igniter, flame sensor and some switch, not to mention the previous years issues. Do not purchase they will dollar you to death with service calls and sensor cleaning needs to be in the junk metal scrap pile.

Date created: 2017-02-04 Name: k mann
Location: Cranston, RI

"Stay away from this furnace"
8 year old furnaces always breaking down. Tons of money spent to fix. Still broken, not very happy. This is ridicules. I have no heat and it is 20 degrees out. I have 2 furnaces continual problems with both.

Date created: 2016-12-27 Name: Ron
Location: Milwaukee,WI

"As good if not better than others"
My furnace and ac system were installed in 2006 and I have done some basic cleaning and changed filters so far and have never even had a serviceman do his recommended maintenance thing or had a problem until the fall of 2016. It has always worked great until this fall when it did not perform consistently. No internal parts have even been cleaned or replaced until this problem occurred. It had failed to start after its 3 initial attempts. I then replaced the circuit board which appeared to clear the intermittent problem for a while but the problem still did not disappear entirely until I replaced the thermostat with a different make and model. Apparently it was no longer working in a compatible and reliable manner with the furnace board and had me fooled into thinking it was the furnace acting up. I will eventually reinstall the original board again just to test it to see if it needs to be discarded or still kept as a spare part now that it is running great again. While doing this I had discovered it also was acting as if the air intake pipe was restricted since it was running good with the door panel loosened a little so it would pass a little air through it. I increased the pipe size to 3 inch which is optional but preferred depending on the pipe length and number of bends. It was installed with a permit by a furnace contractor and did pass inspection by the city inspector with the smaller size pipe. This still did not help correct things so I inspected the inducer blower. I removed it to inspect and run it and determined it was still working fine but noticed the pressure port barely had a clear passage through it to the blower wheel from when it was plastic molded. I drilled out the excess plastic molding flash and it is now running good at 100% again with a tightly sealed door panel. The small restricted passage was more prone to a clog but it had still performed great for over ten years. For those who say their Goodman is junk --- Improper installation as well as a service person who cannot instantly diagnose a simple but uncommon problem can make someone refer to something as junk when nothing but dirt is the only problem and no parts are even needed. It sometimes just takes time to figure out an unusual problem that is intermittent and hard to diagnose that may not even require anything more than a persons time and patience to eventually correct.

Date created: 2016-12-18 Name: scott
Location: Kansas

"Not worth the scrap metal"
A total piece of junk landlord installed. Stopped working after 4 days.

Date created: 2016-12-12 Name: David Boyer
Location: Vancouver WA

"Goodman Furnace"
Less than a year old and the fan mount broke. It is 40 degrees out and the part has to be ordered from Spokane or Texas, we live in Vancouver, WA. Hopefully, the part will be here tomorrow. Never heard of Goodman before we purchased this new home, now I know why.

Date created: 2016-12-11 Name: Paul Ritchie
Location: Calgary, Alberta

"Don't Go There!"
Six days ago, we had our 25-year old unit replaced to avoid open ended repair bills. Huge mistake to buy Goodman (branded as Amana). This furnace will not kick into high-stage heat and throws error codes. Its -14f (-25c) out and the furnace cannot heat the house. Installer cannot fix it and they do not have the parts (expect they are special order). With furnace on continuously at low stage heat and with the gas fireplace on, house heats to about 64. So it's either fix the thing or replace it with another brand.

Date created: 2016-11-23 Name: Jeremy
Location: Aztec, NM

"Garbage"
This furnace is garbage. It's barely 4 years old. Have had nothing but trouble with this piece of crap. Everytime it breaks down I'm replacing parts. Like clockwork it goes down on weekends and holidays . If you're considering buying this brand don't. You will regret it.

Date created: 2016-11-22 Name: Angela
Location: Fostoria, Ohio

"Not suitable for Salons"
I'm on my second Goodman furnance. Got the second thinking that the other one was just a mishap with the flame sensor. No the second one does the same thing. Works when it wants to. Customers are always cold. Never runs efficiently. Going to have it switched as soon as I get the money to do so.

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>