Consumer Reviews of GIBSON furnaces

Read more about GIBSON furnaces

Date created: 2009-07-10 Name: Scott N.

"Gibson"
I've recently installed a furnace and central air combo in my home, in addition many other's in my families and friends homes. What people need to understand is that most of the problems stem from a poor install. There are so many varables that go into installing and sizing these units, that many contractors don't follow. Maybe some of you unhappy people may need to complain about the people installing the units instead of the product. Like I said I've install over 100 of these units and haven't had many major problems. Here's tip when trying to find a reputable contractor, listen to your family and friends for references.

Date created: 2009-01-28 Name: Scott McManus
Location: Upstate NY

"Best install yet"
Installed this unit in a friends house this winter in basement. Didn't do the install until the basement had been a good 20 deg F for a month, so this sucker was running its butt off to get the building up to temp. Works great! Most of the problems I'm seeing on this page are caused by improper install. When connecting the stat wires up to the circuit board, (on anything), it is of upmost importance not to bend the circuit board or push too hard on the terminal screws. It cracks the traces on the circuit board causing intermittent problems (Usually will be temporarily corrected by banging on unit or wiggling wire harness, until it is too damaged to turn on at all). Noise is caused by three main factors: unbalanced fan (shaking, vibrating), inproper static pressure (in or out not sized correctly), or duct inlets and outlets are too close to unit (no buffer zone). As far as the fan ballancing goes, Ive seen installers "drop" them off the back of a pickup and screw up the balance. All and all, this was one of the smoothest installs I have done, and I've been doing it for 20 years.

Date created: 2009-01-18 Name: R.Smith
Location: Columbus, Ohio

"High efficient upflow gas furnace"
Replaced a 25 year old unit with the Gibson. Have seen reduced gas bills and much more comfortable throughout home.

Date created: 2008-12-06 Name: J.G.
Location: Michigan

"Gibson Furnace"
No problems at all so far.

Date created: 2008-11-24 Name: S. May
Location: Lititz, PA

"Loose wiring?"
Last two winters on different occasions I have had a problem with my gibson. I open the panel and the wires from thermostat and the two others, not sure what they are. I move the wires and the furnace clicks on sometimes, fan runs sometimes and the red light blinks 3 times sometimes. I usually check to see if the wires are tight and they are. I ususal keep moving the wires around til it works again then shut the door. This year no such luck won't run correctly. I have noticed a slight spark on the back of the circuit panel when I move the wires again. What might be up with that..new board?

Date created: 2008-11-24 Name: James J Marek
Location: Michigan

"Gibson furnaces have changed"
I have been installing Gibson and Frigidaire for about 2 yrs now. I admit that when the blower came on that it was a bit noisey. Also the burners were noisey also. The new modles came out a few months ago and I have installed a few Gibson 80% & 90% and also the variable speed models. They are alot quieter now. The 90% furnace is as quiet as the Rheem or Ruud. They have a small hole on the top of the furnace for combustion air. Don't hear the burners any more. The 80% are the same way. The door screws are very heavy duty. I would recommend this product very highly. The a/c units have changed also. Very nice looking and super quiet. The a/c has won awards this year at the trade shows. Out of the 2 years of installing these furnaces, I only had one service call. Had to reset a flame rollout limit. I have been in this field for 29 years and have installed alot of different brands of furnaces. The one I like the most are ruud and Gibson and Frigidaire. They stand behind their products. I installed a 95% variable speed Gibson furnace last year that had a condensate leak comming from the heat exchanger. I told my distributer about it. They said to remove the furnace and will replace it with a brand new model. I did and Nordyne also gave me $250.00 for the labor. Goodman would never do that.

Date created: 2008-11-23 Name: Shannon Cherry
Location: Ashville, Ohio

"GIBSON ON RECALL"
Having a heck of a time getting this thing to work reliabily. Installer is telling me it is under recall now and has the parts on order. After reading the other reviews I think it was a bad install. The sensor that sticks up in the flame is what he is always messing with, now he has it bypassed and the plastic drip line pulled loose so it just drains accross the floor. I don't feel to safe with it bypassed. He has been out four times already in a months time. Worked fine untill it turned cold 20's - 30's at night and it would not stay running long enough to keep the house above 55. Like to see how it works out over the next few years.

Date created: 2008-11-21 Name: dtl

"MQ Mechanical"
I've installed many Gibson furnaces over the past years for friends and families. I have never been back to work on a single one! Never! As for the people who say they are noisy, its usually a problem with undersized supply or return air. I would recommend to all!

Date created: 2008-11-14 Name: Barry Fawcett
Location: Aylmer, Ontario, Canada

"Gibson gas furnace"
Unit runs very noisy, I am considering replacing with another brand.

Date created: 2008-11-10 Name: Mr. D

"Gibson 93 percent"
My furnace is extremely quite. Heats and cools very well. If it makes noise only when the furnace is running I would check to see if the drains are installed correctly. There is a rubber coupler on the exhaust, which needs to be pointing in the right direction. Willing to bet it's a bad install. And yes I am an installer. And it's good enough for my home.