Consumer Reviews of GIBSON furnaces

Read more about GIBSON furnaces

Date created: 2011-02-14 Name: Beth McCarthy
Location: Michigan

"New Furnace quit after 6 years"
We bought our home new in 2004 with a Gibson furnace. In August of 2010, the compressor died. No warranty as only 5 years on this brand at that time. Have heard the same story from another local homeowner who had same brand installed in their new home dating from that time. He had leaks and compressor problems. We had to replace the entire unit. Shouldn't happen after only 6 years!

Date created: 2011-01-26 Name: ed jimson
Location: lansing mi

"Nice unit"
I have had a gibson furnace now for three years and have not had one single problem. This furnace has been running strong since day one. If you look at the reviews for other brands of furnaces you will see the same complaints for every single one of them, as well as people who just love them. I think a lot of it has to do with the knowledge or the lack there of the contractor installing and servicing the furnace. I would recomend this furnace to anyone as well as the contractor who installed it.

Date created: 2011-01-14 Name: J Gustafson
Location: Cambridge, MN

"Not an accurate way to determine quality Gibson furnace"
Have you wondered about how many homeowners are happy with their Gibson furnaces but aren't going out of the way to find forums to compliment them? People who, unfortunately, have had a bad experience will go out of their way to let as many people as possible know about it. You know you aren't hearing from every person who has a Gibson furnace.

Date created: 2011-01-12 Name: Dave J.
Location: Marthasville, MO

"Literally Paid for Itself in One Season"
I bought and installed a Gibson gl1rc120d-16c Gas Furnace in my home (which was built in 1861) in Sept. 2004 and have had zero problems. In fact, it literally paid for itself in one season. My 25 year old, 60% efficient furnace used three full 500 gallon lp tanks (Total of about 1275 gallons) in its last season and the Gibson used only one tank (About 425 gallons) the following season. The following spring (2005), I removed the old chimney. It was no longer needed with the 92+ efficient Gibson furnace and used it as the second story air return. I also installed a second story air supply in the chimney chase as well when I installed the 4 ton Gibson A/C unit. I run the blower 24/7 and I have only a one to three degree difference between the upstairs and downstairs summer and winter. My co-workers tell me that they cannot maintain that little of a temperature difference in their brand new homes. Most of the Gibson furnace line, 80,000BTU and up, has blower speeds of 1800CFM (and higher) all require a large and/or dual air return. I am thinking that a lot of the complaints that I am reading on this site may be due to contractors not giving their installs the airflow the Gibson furnace needs to run correctly. If the total sum of parts is not balance and correct, problems are bound to arise.

Date created: 2010-12-13 Name: Tim M
Location: Sidney OH,

"Contractor"
Nordyne Gibson furnace are not worth your time to install.These contractors that been putting them in well they might be getting lucky. Ive read its the contractor bull - - - - ive been intalling and a contractor for 26 years admitt it gibson furnaces they are junk.Consumer be aware

Date created: 2010-11-26 Name: Jeff C.
Location: Merrimack, NH

"Heat Exchanger Failed"
My home was built in 2004. The HVAC contractor installed a Nordyne Gibson condensing gas furnace (KGCRC 080C-12B). In 2009, a limit switch failed and had to be replaced. This year (2010), the furnace kept shutting down due to flame rollout in the burner box assembly. I had a local HVAC company look at the furnace. He found several holes in the heat exchanger assembly. He told me this should not have failed on a system that is only 6 years old. He said he sees a lot of problems with Gibson furnaces. I inquired what it would take to fix the heat exchanger. He told me it would probably take him a day to disassemble the furnace, install a new heat exchanger and reassembly the furnace. I decided it would not be worth the effort to fix the this furnace and decided to replace it with a better more energy efficient model by another manufacturer. I would also be able to get a tax credit on this years tax return (up to $1500 including product and labor) since the model is very efficient (~98% efficiency). I will never allow a Nordyne/Gibson product installed in my house again.

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: dwagner
Location: York, Pa

"Currently on the Market"
I am currently on the market for a new furnace and the contractor I use recommends and sells Gibson. From what I have read here is that contractors love Gibson and consumers don't. Perhaps the reason is because the contractors are making a lot of money installing and fixing these units. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I will continue my search with Rheem, Trane, and Lennox.

Date created: 2010-11-15 Name: P. Rubano
Location: New Haven, Ct.

"Pat"
I have been a building contractor for over 30yrs and I have had a variety of units installed in various projects.I have found that most problems with most new installs is the contractor. Improper duct sizing supply and return, setup and balancing are crucial to proper operation of any air system. I have found that gibson is no more problem prone than any other brand in fact I have chosen Gibson to replace my own furnace. I would recommend that you investigate the installer before committing to the lowest price.

Date created: 2010-11-09 Name: Greg
Location: Crystal Beach, Ontario

"Warranty"
My furnace is only about 4 years old and the control board is fried. The contractor tells me it is under warranty, but the warranty only covers the parts, not the installation. So I'm out well over $150 due to a faulty part....I wonder what would happen if the car companies had a policy like this? I own a number of rentals and will never touch Gibson again.

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: Frank H.
Location: Omaha NE.

"Maintenace Technician"
The furnace for the most part works well, but I have had the same part fail twice. I have owned this unit for five years, the pressure switch has caused all of my woes. It hasn't cost me any out of pocket money, but it has been a pain in the rear-end. It never fails during the week, always on the weekend when the part supplier is closed so I have to band-aid it up till monday. I installed the unit as a combo, furnace & air conditioner. Air conditioner works flawlessly.