Consumer Reviews of GIBSON furnaces

Read more about GIBSON furnaces

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: J. Brede
Location: Southern, NH

"Heat Exchanger Bad after 6 years"
We have a Gibson Aprilaire 2-Zone comfort Control Furnace by Nordyne. The heat exchanger went on a Wednesday afternoon. After having difficulty finding a dealer who could service the appliance, the Gibson distributors in our area did not have the part needed. We were told the earliest Nordyne could get the part to us would be Monday. Since we live in NH and it's February with a storm on the way, we contacted Nordyne directly. Their customer service leaves nothing to be desired. They could have cared less that we have two small children and will have no heat with temps in the single digits. They were unwilling to assist in getting the part here any sooner and reminded us that their policy was to cover the part and not the shipping. After informing them that if they were to take their car in for servicing while it is still under warrenty, they would not expect to have to pay shipping for the part to fix it, nor would they be charged. Their reply was that this was "their policy". After much run around, bottom line is: Overnight shipping of the part is almost $400, 2-day (for Monday delivery) is around $200. We need to pay for the shipping, the install and for the part at a total cost of approximately $1250. We will be reimbursed later for the warrented part after Nordyne deems it appropriate and gives approval. In the interim, our home will have no heat aside from a gas firepace for almost 5 days and is at risk for freezing pipes. Customer service is poor. Distributors do not carry parts because they do not want to pay shipping charges as well as costs associated with warehousing and inventory. If this product was not under warrenty, we would seek out another brand. Also, in the future, because of poor customer service, we will not consider their other products. This company makes many on the market including Maytag and Frigidaire. For a list of other products, check out Nordyne's website. Buyer beware.

Date created: 2011-02-21 Name: MIke

"HVAC INSTALLER/SERVICE TECHNICAIN OPINION"
I have been servicing and installing all brands of equipment for over 13 years. I have seen multiple problems with ALL brands of equipment. Most of the problems are from bad product design, untrained installers, poor installation, lack of regular maintenace, under sized ductwork, oversizing equipment, builders and customers going with the lowest price to save money. I opened my busniess in 2008 and I install Maytag and Gibson products, I have had very good response from my loyal customers about these products. I have also installed Gibson brand equipment in my friends homes, I would not have if I didn't believe in this product.*Find a HVAC contractor that you feel comfortable with and get atleast 3 estimates from contractors that sell the same brand equipment.

Date created: 2011-02-14 Name: Beth McCarthy
Location: Michigan

"New Furnace quit after 6 years"
We bought our home new in 2004 with a Gibson furnace. In August of 2010, the compressor died. No warranty as only 5 years on this brand at that time. Have heard the same story from another local homeowner who had same brand installed in their new home dating from that time. He had leaks and compressor problems. We had to replace the entire unit. Shouldn't happen after only 6 years!

Date created: 2011-01-26 Name: ed jimson
Location: lansing mi

"Nice unit"
I have had a gibson furnace now for three years and have not had one single problem. This furnace has been running strong since day one. If you look at the reviews for other brands of furnaces you will see the same complaints for every single one of them, as well as people who just love them. I think a lot of it has to do with the knowledge or the lack there of the contractor installing and servicing the furnace. I would recomend this furnace to anyone as well as the contractor who installed it.

Date created: 2011-01-14 Name: J Gustafson
Location: Cambridge, MN

"Not an accurate way to determine quality Gibson furnace"
Have you wondered about how many homeowners are happy with their Gibson furnaces but aren't going out of the way to find forums to compliment them? People who, unfortunately, have had a bad experience will go out of their way to let as many people as possible know about it. You know you aren't hearing from every person who has a Gibson furnace.

Date created: 2011-01-12 Name: Dave J.
Location: Marthasville, MO

"Literally Paid for Itself in One Season"
I bought and installed a Gibson gl1rc120d-16c Gas Furnace in my home (which was built in 1861) in Sept. 2004 and have had zero problems. In fact, it literally paid for itself in one season. My 25 year old, 60% efficient furnace used three full 500 gallon lp tanks (Total of about 1275 gallons) in its last season and the Gibson used only one tank (About 425 gallons) the following season. The following spring (2005), I removed the old chimney. It was no longer needed with the 92+ efficient Gibson furnace and used it as the second story air return. I also installed a second story air supply in the chimney chase as well when I installed the 4 ton Gibson A/C unit. I run the blower 24/7 and I have only a one to three degree difference between the upstairs and downstairs summer and winter. My co-workers tell me that they cannot maintain that little of a temperature difference in their brand new homes. Most of the Gibson furnace line, 80,000BTU and up, has blower speeds of 1800CFM (and higher) all require a large and/or dual air return. I am thinking that a lot of the complaints that I am reading on this site may be due to contractors not giving their installs the airflow the Gibson furnace needs to run correctly. If the total sum of parts is not balance and correct, problems are bound to arise.

Date created: 2010-12-13 Name: Tim M
Location: Sidney OH,

"Contractor"
Nordyne Gibson furnace are not worth your time to install.These contractors that been putting them in well they might be getting lucky. Ive read its the contractor bull - - - - ive been intalling and a contractor for 26 years admitt it gibson furnaces they are junk.Consumer be aware

Date created: 2010-11-26 Name: Jeff C.
Location: Merrimack, NH

"Heat Exchanger Failed"
My home was built in 2004. The HVAC contractor installed a Nordyne Gibson condensing gas furnace (KGCRC 080C-12B). In 2009, a limit switch failed and had to be replaced. This year (2010), the furnace kept shutting down due to flame rollout in the burner box assembly. I had a local HVAC company look at the furnace. He found several holes in the heat exchanger assembly. He told me this should not have failed on a system that is only 6 years old. He said he sees a lot of problems with Gibson furnaces. I inquired what it would take to fix the heat exchanger. He told me it would probably take him a day to disassemble the furnace, install a new heat exchanger and reassembly the furnace. I decided it would not be worth the effort to fix the this furnace and decided to replace it with a better more energy efficient model by another manufacturer. I would also be able to get a tax credit on this years tax return (up to $1500 including product and labor) since the model is very efficient (~98% efficiency). I will never allow a Nordyne/Gibson product installed in my house again.

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: dwagner
Location: York, Pa

"Currently on the Market"
I am currently on the market for a new furnace and the contractor I use recommends and sells Gibson. From what I have read here is that contractors love Gibson and consumers don't. Perhaps the reason is because the contractors are making a lot of money installing and fixing these units. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I will continue my search with Rheem, Trane, and Lennox.

Date created: 2010-11-15 Name: P. Rubano
Location: New Haven, Ct.

"Pat"
I have been a building contractor for over 30yrs and I have had a variety of units installed in various projects.I have found that most problems with most new installs is the contractor. Improper duct sizing supply and return, setup and balancing are crucial to proper operation of any air system. I have found that gibson is no more problem prone than any other brand in fact I have chosen Gibson to replace my own furnace. I would recommend that you investigate the installer before committing to the lowest price.