Consumer Reviews of Coleman furnaces

Read more about Coleman furnaces

Date created: 2011-04-19 Name: Luch, Shiptons heating&Cooling
Location: Hamilton Ontario

"Great furnaces"
I work for one of the oldest heating company in Canada,with 87years in business and 50years being a Coleman dealer.My 23years experiance showed me that any model furnace on the market to date all have there share of problems .All furnaces installed must spend the time to be setup properly eg.temp rise,temp drop.gas valve pressure,duct work sizing and most important correct installation of venting, elect etc.This company has installed thousands of these furnaces and yes warrantLy is very important to the consumer thats why our customer service has brought us up to were we are today.

Date created: 2011-04-13 Name: Robert Depratto
Location: Cornwal l ,Canada

"Modulating furnace"
I purchased a modulating furnace in 2008and the unit constantly shuting itself down due to water in presure switch. I have to baby sit unit in winter i dont think that is why i purchased this furnace.My 20 year old furnace broke down one winter on the coldest day of the year and did not want this to happen again .Bought this unit and shuts down all the time has ben looked at several time and now in 2011 imgetting billed for witch has a 10 year warrenty and attitude by the manager of furnace installer .what should i do?

Date created: 2011-04-06 Name: Twilson
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

"Is there life with a Coleman"
This furnace has required service every year because it won't go on. The installer has been in business for 25 years and told me Coleman furnaces are S___! In looking at the reviews, it looks like units over 10 years old work, but the newer ones not so well. Was Coleman bought out around that time? It used to be that Coleman was quality and didn't we all have their camping equipment. Why doesn't someone start a class action lawsuit for this junk. Most of the mobile home owners are seniors and can't afford to pay the service calls let alone replace it and with what - another Coleman?

Date created: 2011-03-16 Name: G. McNeely
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada

"Echelon 9.c model 80.000 BTU model"
This is to provide the reader with information on the performance of this furnace also to inform current owners of design changes made to this furnace, (likely in mid-2010). If changes are not made it may cause owners problems as it has in my case. First the good news. We purchased this furnace in August 2009. . This is a sophisticated furnace that operates quietly, . It is very energy efficient e.g. my gas consumption average from 2000 to 2009 was 3,776 cubic metres per year with a 45 year old furnace that I liked because it was simple and I could do most of the maintenance myself. For its first winter of operation 2009-10 the new Coleman Echelon furnace used 2,596 cu. metres of gas, a reduction of over 30% we also heat our water with gas and have had the same water heater for over 20 years. . Our electricity bills have also gone down because the high efficency electrical motors. . The air circulation fan is powerful and performs well during the air conditioning season. . It has an excellent warranty 5 years labor and parts; 10 years on parts which came in very handy as you will see below. NOW the PROBLEMS that we have had. The furnace operated flawlessly during the 2009- 10 heating season. Malfunctionning started to occur on Dec. 5, 2010 till Feb. 5 2011, when on the 6th service call over 2 months, the service technician, with the help of my observations diagnosed the problems. Three more service calls were required to fix the problems. In the meantime 3 different sensors and some adjustments were made, all to no avail. Through subsequent calls to Coleman, Our tecnician found out about the two design changes. 1. There is a need to install a trap and drain line in the air intake pipe that brings outside airn to the furnace. In most installations, the outside air pipe enters the furnace directly above the gas valve which can allow outside condensation to drip on the gas valve. When this occurs, the electrical connections on the gas valve can corrode and cause malfuction. In our case, the problem was intermittent and invariably would not occur when the tecnician was present. This set a 7 red fault code. (described on p37 of my owners' manual. 2. Condensation reservoir. This has been redesigned. In my case, this caused 3 red and 5 red fault codes (p37 manual). When this happened, the fan blower would operate at maximum speed for 1 hour. Then it would turn itself off and restart with heat or I could turn off the power and restart the furnace. The problem ocurred 3 to 5 times per day or not at all. Our technician who works for a large retailer was not aware of the design changes till he called Coleman in the southern U.S. WHY??? Coleman were apparently aware that the water condensation dripping on the gas valve was a problem in the southern U.S. due to the higher humidity and had included the design change earlier in the U.S. south earlier. Possibly they did not expect this problem top occur in Canada. In any case, anyone who purchased an Echelon furnace before September 2009 or in the several months that followed should be watching for the above noted problems and ask for the changes to be made under warranty. For the past 5 weeks the furnace has operated normally.

Date created: 2011-02-26 Name: Katherine Freitas
Location: aptos, california

"Bad furnace"
We purchase a coleman furnace for our mobil home Nov.2008. It said it was quiet and it sounds like an airplane taking off in our front room. The reducer has gone out twice this month. It has cost us $323.00 for the part and install each time. We didn't even use it for the 1st year or so because the mobil we live in was a vacation home and is now a retirement home. If we knew it was just as noisey and a" break the bank" furnace on repairs we would have left the old one in. It at least ran.

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: R Gray
Location: Western New York

"Known 'bad' pressure switch"
Bought the furnace little over 3 years ago, have replaced the pressure switch a couple of times. The last time, the repairman knew it was part of the same batch of 'bad' switches but he showed my husband how to get it running again, its hit and miss, but when the temperature drops or the wind blows, we have to 'bang' on the switch to get it to work. Repairman said those switches were out-sourced out of the country... Would never ever ever by another Coleman.

Date created: 2011-02-21 Name: E. G.
Location: Lakeport, CA

"Dgaa056"
If it wasn't for the fact that this is the only unit that fit in the furnace spot in my manufactured home, I would have bought something else. The fan is much louder than the old Coleman Evcon Presidential, and can wake you up at night, the cycles don't step up or down, only blasts heat on for awhile, goes off, then does it again when you start shivering. You have to hold the filters in place while putting the top door back on, or they will slide out the bottom. The bottom door has 2 plastic latches and one breaks off every time the door is removed, no matter how carefully it is pulled off.

Date created: 2011-02-16 Name: Bruce
Location: Chatham, ON

"Oldy but a goody"
My Coleman has been running well for 46 years, 20 of that for me. Only thing that has been replaced in 20 years was the motor. Recent furnace inspection came up "no problem"...looks better than most furnaces less than half that age. Tech said that if heat goes out - replace the t-stat, that is more likely to be an issue than the 46 year old furnace. Standing pilot light probably makes sure humidity doesn't have a chance to take hold. After reading reviews of new furnace - looks like they don't make them like they used to.

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: J Smith
Location: wyoming

"Sucks"
Had nothing but trouble with it. Everytime the wind blows it won't work.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Roni
Location: Pomona CA

"DGAA056BDTBJ"
I work for an Heating And A/C company. We service them often. We replaced a pressure switch and now it needs a combustion air blower for one that is alittle over a year old. Beaware that parts warranty is only for a year. Most manufacture's warranty parts for 5 or more years. I would shop around