Consumer Reviews of Coleman furnaces

Read more about Coleman furnaces

Date created: 2015-02-12 Name: P Parshall
Location: Buffalo, NY

"So far, so good"
I had a 55-year-old Thatcher Comet which never once in its life needed an emergency call but I thought new parts would be impossible to find and the input on it was 95,000 BTU so I reluctantly decided to replace it. I have a single-story ranch of around 1000 square feet and got 3 quotes for a 60,000 BTU Carrier/Trane furnace. Then I found a great contractor who showed me the math and I went with a 40,000 BTU 95% efficient Coleman which he was very experienced with. He installed a Coleman TM9E040A10MP11 this week and so far it's great. I dropped from 95,000 BTU input to 40,000 BTU input. No numbers yet on natural gas usage but I expect good numbers. The Coleman parts are modular, so replacement is easier. Those modules are positioned well so that they will not be affected by proximity to the flame, etc. The guts look like good material. I like the diagnostic LEDs offered on the control panel. I've read that Johnson Controls bought Coleman awhile back so all the controls are JCI, which is a company I respect. It's only 33 inches tall so we put 2 layers of concrete blocks under it; it's easier to work with now that it's 16 inches off the floor. I'm in my first week running this Coleman so I'd give it a conditional 9 out of 10. It's an exceptionally cold February here in Buffalo but this unit has no trouble keeping me right at 69 and I'm not setting it back at night. Hated to get rid of "old reliable" but I'm glad I made the move.

Date created: 2015-01-10 Name: Sharon C
Location: Kansas City, MO

"Worst possible furnace"
I've had this Evcon model for about 10 years. I could have bought a Trane for the amount of money I've spent in repairs. Coleman has made 3 different pressure switches because they can't get it right. All of the parts have been replaced at least once, and now I have to replace the inducer motor again. I'm going with any other brand of furnace now. Don't waste your money if you plan to live in your home more than a couple of years.

Date created: 2014-11-22 Name: G. L. Hirschi
Location: Park City, MT

"Coleman class action lawsuit"
We've had this unit since 2008, and for the past 3 years we have had trouble with it blowing cold air. Recently we found that there have been a lot of problems with this furnace, and a supplier was surprised that they are still out there. I have been researching the the problems with this unit and I think it is now time for a class action lawsuit against Coleman.

Date created: 2014-11-16 Name: Gary Kovie
Location: Sterling Heights, MI

"Very satisifed with the unit / system"
I like the fact that I know from friend's and associate's comments that this brand and equipment is very reliable, quiet and energy efficient. In addition, I'm told that maintenance costs on this equipment are extremely low, to insure that everything works fine for many, many years. Ease of operation is also an important factor to me.

Date created: 2014-11-14 Name: R Jones
Location: Kirkland, WA

"Worst product on the market!"
This furnace has broken down at least once a year since the installation (2006). Even when it is working, it doesn't work right! I am completely mystified that there has not been a class action suit against Coleman for producing such a completely unreliable product!

Date created: 2014-10-04 Name: P.Brown
Location: Springfield, OH

"Nothing but trouble"
We have replaced a pressure value and the circuit board, and now the blower motor is out. We had our Lennox furnace and had no repairs in 25-plus years. We would not recommend a Coleman furnace, it's nothing but junk. We thought we would replace it and get a higher efficiency furnace; biggest mistake we ever made.

Date created: 2014-09-18 Name: Kevin tanner
Location: Wyoming

"Poor warranty coverage"
I purchased my unit just over a year ago and the blower motor went out. After several attempts to solve the problem, I finally got $75 to cover what cost me $425 to replace. Some warranty! Wrote a review to Coleman where I rated my satisfaction very low. Coleman responded, "May we contact you?" "Of course," I answered. "Please do." Still haven't got any response. I guess they really care.

Date created: 2014-08-08 Name: Terrie Methven
Location: Williamsburg, OH

"Revolv"
It is loud when running and you know when it turns on and off. My units door has louvers in it and there is not a filter that goes on it. The top has a replaceable filter. It seems like the air pulling in the door is dirtying up my a/c coil. If it is to have a filter I was never informed. I just thought it was poor design. I live in a Manufactured home (double wide). I think there is only a couple brands that fit. My contractor chose this one.

Date created: 2014-06-16 Name: Charles Kilgore
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ

"Two Stage PSC Residential Gas Furnace"
The unit is very good.

Date created: 2014-06-01 Name: R loepp
Location: Ottawa

"Worst product I have ever owned"
I have owned a Coleman 9c echelon for under 5 years. In that time we have replaced the board 4 times, and switches another 3 times. Since January of this year we have had 6 calls, and have paid over $1000 in warranty work. If Coleman was the least bit honorable and had any integrity they would recall the furnaces and refund the money, to try to reestablish credibility.