Consumer Reviews of Coleman furnaces

Read more about Coleman furnaces

Date created: 2012-11-04 Name: scott

"Avoid Coleman Furnaces"
Every time I need to start the furnace, it won't work. I need to call a service tech. This week I will have the pressure switch replace again. Wish I'd shopped around more.

Date created: 2012-10-03 Name: c. susie
Location: Beaman,ia

"Crap!"
Had furnace 2 yrs and had to get new board and gas pressure valve of course warranty up so it cost $600 wtf!!!

Date created: 2012-01-09 Name: David Gorman
Location: ottawa, canada

"I wish i had not bought this Coleman Furnace"
I wish I had known about this site before I purchased, or done any research, but I was blinded by the cheap cost...now I know why it was cheap. I bought the fc9c080c16up11a model (part of the Echelon 9c series) 3 years ago and have had 5 service appointments on it already. I live in Ottawa Canada, and when this thing fails (which is surprisingly often) you wake up in the cold. I have had problems with pressure switches, and even had the mother-board replaced. I wish I had not bought this Coleman furnace. I would never buy another Coleman again.

Date created: 2011-11-26 Name: D. Cheung
Location: Granite City IL

"Real Junk"
I have this piece of junk called a Coleman furnace. First year: within 4 months had to have the repairman come. Thank God it was still under warranty. It has always made loud noises. I asked the serviceman why, and he stated "You have an money pit. You should have bought yourself an better name brand. Now it needs a circuit board -- that thing fried for no reason." I will never buy another Coleman furnace again nor will advise anyone too. You can't buy any parts -- they're only sold to dealers. (Unless on eBay and the part is new. Less than $100.00 on eBay I can put it in myself.) The furnace is made so cheaply and simply put together the serviceman wants $200.00 for the same part also wants his $50.00 service call that's without labor. Coleman has to know it's pure junk. They are just sticking it too us. All of the parts are made in China -- they only put their name on it to have everyone believe they are getting quality merchandise. Forget it! Unitary Products Group you have to know it's nothing more than a money maker for your company due to the selling of useless parts. I now have to be late on some bills so I will not freeze this week. We are going to have snow on Sunday and the part won't come in til Monday! Hope my pipes will not freeze. Thanks for nothing Coleman.

Date created: 2011-09-20 Name: brandon
Location: texas

"Coleman heaters not dependable"
The control board failed so far 3 times, then the drive motor, then a door switch went out, then the door panels fall off. I have spent more money fixing the heater than I did having it installed. Don't recommend its noisy motor wakes me up, bumps my whole attic every time it starts. Never again will I buy this Coleman brand. Always at worst time and have to order parts so you decide.

Date created: 2011-04-19 Name: Luch, Shiptons heating&Cooling
Location: Hamilton Ontario

"Great furnaces"
I work for one of the oldest heating company in Canada,with 87years in business and 50years being a Coleman dealer.My 23years experiance showed me that any model furnace on the market to date all have there share of problems .All furnaces installed must spend the time to be setup properly eg.temp rise,temp drop.gas valve pressure,duct work sizing and most important correct installation of venting, elect etc.This company has installed thousands of these furnaces and yes warrantLy is very important to the consumer thats why our customer service has brought us up to were we are today.

Date created: 2011-04-13 Name: Robert Depratto
Location: Cornwal l ,Canada

"Modulating furnace"
I purchased a modulating furnace in 2008and the unit constantly shuting itself down due to water in presure switch. I have to baby sit unit in winter i dont think that is why i purchased this furnace.My 20 year old furnace broke down one winter on the coldest day of the year and did not want this to happen again .Bought this unit and shuts down all the time has ben looked at several time and now in 2011 imgetting billed for witch has a 10 year warrenty and attitude by the manager of furnace installer .what should i do?

Date created: 2011-04-06 Name: Twilson
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

"Is there life with a Coleman"
This furnace has required service every year because it won't go on. The installer has been in business for 25 years and told me Coleman furnaces are S___! In looking at the reviews, it looks like units over 10 years old work, but the newer ones not so well. Was Coleman bought out around that time? It used to be that Coleman was quality and didn't we all have their camping equipment. Why doesn't someone start a class action lawsuit for this junk. Most of the mobile home owners are seniors and can't afford to pay the service calls let alone replace it and with what - another Coleman?

Date created: 2011-03-16 Name: G. McNeely
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada

"Echelon 9.c model 80.000 BTU model"
This is to provide the reader with information on the performance of this furnace also to inform current owners of design changes made to this furnace, (likely in mid-2010). If changes are not made it may cause owners problems as it has in my case. First the good news. We purchased this furnace in August 2009. . This is a sophisticated furnace that operates quietly, . It is very energy efficient e.g. my gas consumption average from 2000 to 2009 was 3,776 cubic metres per year with a 45 year old furnace that I liked because it was simple and I could do most of the maintenance myself. For its first winter of operation 2009-10 the new Coleman Echelon furnace used 2,596 cu. metres of gas, a reduction of over 30% we also heat our water with gas and have had the same water heater for over 20 years. . Our electricity bills have also gone down because the high efficency electrical motors. . The air circulation fan is powerful and performs well during the air conditioning season. . It has an excellent warranty 5 years labor and parts; 10 years on parts which came in very handy as you will see below. NOW the PROBLEMS that we have had. The furnace operated flawlessly during the 2009- 10 heating season. Malfunctionning started to occur on Dec. 5, 2010 till Feb. 5 2011, when on the 6th service call over 2 months, the service technician, with the help of my observations diagnosed the problems. Three more service calls were required to fix the problems. In the meantime 3 different sensors and some adjustments were made, all to no avail. Through subsequent calls to Coleman, Our tecnician found out about the two design changes. 1. There is a need to install a trap and drain line in the air intake pipe that brings outside airn to the furnace. In most installations, the outside air pipe enters the furnace directly above the gas valve which can allow outside condensation to drip on the gas valve. When this occurs, the electrical connections on the gas valve can corrode and cause malfuction. In our case, the problem was intermittent and invariably would not occur when the tecnician was present. This set a 7 red fault code. (described on p37 of my owners' manual. 2. Condensation reservoir. This has been redesigned. In my case, this caused 3 red and 5 red fault codes (p37 manual). When this happened, the fan blower would operate at maximum speed for 1 hour. Then it would turn itself off and restart with heat or I could turn off the power and restart the furnace. The problem ocurred 3 to 5 times per day or not at all. Our technician who works for a large retailer was not aware of the design changes till he called Coleman in the southern U.S. WHY??? Coleman were apparently aware that the water condensation dripping on the gas valve was a problem in the southern U.S. due to the higher humidity and had included the design change earlier in the U.S. south earlier. Possibly they did not expect this problem top occur in Canada. In any case, anyone who purchased an Echelon furnace before September 2009 or in the several months that followed should be watching for the above noted problems and ask for the changes to be made under warranty. For the past 5 weeks the furnace has operated normally.

Date created: 2011-02-26 Name: Katherine Freitas
Location: aptos, california

"Bad furnace"
We purchase a coleman furnace for our mobil home Nov.2008. It said it was quiet and it sounds like an airplane taking off in our front room. The reducer has gone out twice this month. It has cost us $323.00 for the part and install each time. We didn't even use it for the 1st year or so because the mobil we live in was a vacation home and is now a retirement home. If we knew it was just as noisey and a" break the bank" furnace on repairs we would have left the old one in. It at least ran.