Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2010-08-04 Name: Tired of manufacturer's BS

"Carrier junk, poor service"
I've spent four days now trying to get a grip on what is causing problems with a Carrier Infinity System. The unit is installed on a friend's home. I'm a general contractor, and the local Carrier dealer is no longer welcome on this jobsite. This Carrier unit is about 3 years old. It was installed on existing ductwork. Through my efforts, and a bunch of phone time with Carrier tech support, I'm of the opinion that this system is way over-sold and way under-engineered. The static pressure reading mechanism is factory calibrated for sea level, and does not account for elevation changes, so you have to know how much to allow for based on your elevation - not a critical issue but a hassle just the same. The "Replace Air Filter" notification is constantly on. The coil is clean, and the return ducting is adequately sized, and the supply duct is adequately sized - all according to readings taken from the controller. Even with the coil cabinet cover removed, the static pressure reads as being too high. Tech support's recommendation is to simply turn the notification feature off, but that's not what the customer paid for. Tech support verified the components used on this unit is a matched set, which leads me to think the coil and coil cabinet are simply too small and will not allow sufficient airflow. This design "flaw" only exacerbates any issues one might have with insufficient ductwork. I suggested to tech support that maybe the controller or some other component might be defective and giving us incorrect static pressure readings. He told me all was well and that the unit is working properly, but to just turn the dirty filter notification off and problem solved. Even with the controller set on "Auto", the unit cycles on and off. The blower always runs on high until the unit reaches temp, then the unit shuts down completely. It acts as if the unit is running on a standard thermostat. The blower on the infinity is supposed to run at variable speed, with the compressor cycling on and off per demand - but the blower should never stop running. Tech support tells me the unit knows what it needs to do and is functioning properly - bullcrap. We only have one Carrier dealer in our town, and the homeowner does not want him back on the job. The tech support guy is tired of talking to me, most likely because I have identified the problem and there is no (Carrier available) solution. He's tired of making excuses and covering for a design flaw. Just like the local Carrier dealer, the tech support guy is hoping we'll just get frustrated and go away. If someone tries to sell you a Carrier, you'd best run like H*ll!

Date created: 2010-07-27 Name: Paddy

"Carrier Furnace"
I have owned a Weathermaker since 1990, and hasn't had any service call since the first month. The only complaint I have is the induction fan is noisy when started up. I'm looking for a high efficiency furnace and tankless water when I came across this site. Reading some of this reviews, I guess I luck out with a good one.

Date created: 2010-07-12 Name: Randy Teet

"Carrier Infinity System"
We are extremely disappointed in our Carrier Infinity system. It's quiet and efficient, when it's working, but that's it. The system was installed in 2004 and is on its 3rd motherboard and 3rd blower motor/module. The most recent blower motor just went out after the factory warranty was up, and it's not cheap. It's ridiculous for us to have to spend so much money to keep a system going. I would not recommend a Carrier to anyone, and I will never buy a Carrier again, period.

Date created: 2010-06-14 Name: LeNoir

"Carrier 90% efficiency gas furnace"
I bought a Carrier 90% efficiency gas furnace with an air cleaner 14- years ago by a licensed and reputable HVAC contractor. The furnace has never given me a problem, and I have never had it maintained or serviced during those years. It is a solid quality furnace. I would definitely get another one.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Smith

"Review"
Help! Would like to buy a Carrier air conditioner. Please tell the truth. Is the Carrier really good or should I buy a Lennox?

Date created: 2010-05-31 Name: Scott

"Horrible!"
I am a home builder and remodeler, so I have a bit of knowledge. My Carrier is 11 years old and I've put $900.00 into keeping it going. Things that should last 20-30 years going bad. Horrible, horrible company. Be advised!

Date created: 2010-05-09 Name: Brian S.

"Ridiculous"
I am a service technician in the heating and cooling industry. Bought a house 3 years ago and it has a Carrier 92% furnace. I knew from the get go, it was going to be a problem. #1. Carrier parts are insanely expensive (even at the cost I can get them for). #2. The draft motors, on any Carrier or Bryant(same company) are notorious for being very noisy and cost an arm and a leg. Carrier has had the awesome idea of being the "innovator" in making new manufacturing styles of all their parts, thus making the parts expensive and more prone to break down. I have babied this furnace along, which mind you is only 9 years old along until I replace it with a Lennox. (which btw my company isn't even a Lennox dealer, but they are by far the quietest, most reliable, easy to repair furnace I have ever worked on) They are a little more expensive initially but well worth it in the end. I tell customers to never by any product made by Carrier. Complete nightmare.

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: Mabelann Anderson

"Mabelann Anderson,"
I have the 80,000 btu 90t high efficient furnace. One year plus a few days later, I had a Mother board replacement. In 2009 (April), I had a Mother board replacement. In 2009 (December), I had a Mother board replacement!!!!! In April of this year, I need a motor replacement. I am not a happy camper when it comes to Carrier as their only solution is a new furnace which is a few hundred dollars (my cost) over what I paid in 200l. Doesn't sound fair to me!

Date created: 2010-04-16 Name: Impala Guy
Location: Michigan

"Its 19 years old, and its getting replaced"
Purchased in the fall of 1991 and has survived nineteen Michigan winters. Two service calls in all of that time does not seem too bad to me. Now that spring has arrived, I will be getting a new unit (the installers are not so rushed this time of the year). I am comparing the Carrier and Bryant units and have several professional companies here in Grand Rapids that are more than capable of good installations. I just know there are more efficient units out there than the one I have---well done, Carrier.

Date created: 2010-01-30 Name: Awake

"Neighbour's Carrier Heat Pump Too Loud"
Our neighbors just got a Carrier heat pump a few months ago and installed it outside our bedroom window. It wakes us up every time it turns on. It is louder than a diesel truck parked in our driveway. The Carrier repair guy just made excuses, but didn't do a thing. Thanks a lot for making this piece of junk, Carrier.