Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2013-10-09 Name: Keith Jacober
Location: Centennial, CO

"Carrier WeatherMaker Furnace 8000 is Twelve Years Old"
Carrier WeatherMaker furnace 8000 is twelve years old. Induction motor, hot surface ignitor, and flame sensor have been replaced. Latest issue is something of a mystery. Furnace fires up normally for several minutes then shuts down. Furnace guy believes the problem to be either the gas valve or more likely, the computer board. He called local (Denver) tech but found him to be less than helpful. We called Carrier headquarters without any useful help, just a runaround to another tech center which shunted us into computer limbo. Led flashes code 34, a catch-all of numerous possibilities except an answer to the problem. Winter is impending here in Denver. My solution is a new furnace other than a Carrier or any of its sister brands. Good going guys.

Date created: 2013-02-16 Name: M. McManus
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

"Mike M."
Purchased in 1997 had two repairs done in this time last one on Feb.13, 2013 .starter coil price installed$300 .I live in a 11000 sq.ft. house,I found it a little noisy throughout the house more in some places than others.This was a two stage model number 58tua00 high low fired unit, whatever that means.Not to shabby for 15 years and still ticking.

Date created: 2013-02-13 Name: K H

" What is title?"
I built a brand new home in 2005 with a Carrier model mca100-1-20 furnace installed. I now have been told that I have to replace the primary heat exchanger, the secondary heat exchanger ( both partially covered by Carrier because they determined that this model is defective)and now, surprise,surprise,add on a cracked inducer motor wheel for a total cost to me $1,200!!!(What next?) I was told that I could replace this one with all new parts but then would have the same problems again in the future,because the parts have the same problem. I should not be having to replace a furnace after such a short period of time number one. I could get a different model new Carrier with a minimal amount off from the heating company that installed it, but why should I pay again when the product I had installed new should have lasted for a reasonable amount of time? Carrier, you stink. By the way, there is no rating low enough for this product. I am going to another brand and another local company to replace this piece of junk.You both lost a customer, and anyone I can tell about it.

Date created: 2013-02-12 Name: M Sauve
Location: Michigan

"They scam you on warranty."
I purchased a new house in 1994, which came with a Carrier 58sxc furnace installed, one of the poorly engineered models covered by a class action settlement regarding bad heat exchangers, where Carrier agreed to provide a 20 year parts and labor warranty on the exchangers. Recently, the condensing (secondary) heat exchanger failed. It's very obvious, there are rust perforations in the "coils." This means carbon monoxide leaking into the heated airstream. Ouch. Unfortunately, there was no documentation of the installation date, and the local dealer who's sticker was on the furnace could find no records. The furnace was made in November, 1992 (just over 20 years), but I bought the new house in July, 1994 (well less than 20 years). I contacted the Carrier distributor, Carrier Great Lakes. They told me install date didn't matter - that it was in a serial number range which qualified for the "20 years parts and labor" settlement, and to contact a local Carrier dealer for warranty service. I did so. They first wanted to know if they should send a salesman to sell me a new furnace. No, I want a warranty repair. Then, they wanted $90 for an "inspection." Not necessary - I have pictures clearly showing and proving the failure. They said Carrier didn't pay enough for labor, so they would charge me additional labor to replace it, even under the settlement. More discussion, and they say without proof of installation date, no free labor - $650-1100 to replace a heat exchanger (which involves 2 hours and some $20 caulk). Would I like to buy a new furnace? No. I'll forget about the free labor and do it myself, under the "LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY" I have as the original owner - I have a defective heat exchanger, and want a warranty replacement. "Carrier won't let us do that, we have to do the replacement." OK, I'll call Carrier and tell them you won't honor their warranty. Call Carrier corporate. Explain the situation. First person says the settlement timeframe would be based off the closing date for my home's mortgage, so I'm covered. Great. I have proof that it failed (would you like to see the pictures?), so don't expect me to pay the $90 "inspection" fee your servicing dealer wants. "We have no control over that." WHAT? It's warranty, and your dealer wants to charge me for a repair. Escalates me to next level. That person says coverage is based on install date, and without proof, date of manufacture, so no on the settlement labor. OK. I want a replacement for my defective exchanger, per the lifetime warranty ("Carrier will provide a new heat exchanger without charge"). "You have to go through the distributor and they won't do it unless you're a certified HVAC contractor." I asked "where does it say that in the warranty?" 10 minutes of searching, and they couldn't find it (it's not there, I have a copy, maybe it's in the newer warranties). Summary - Carrier has a scam going. They won't honor their warranty, and tell the consumer that it has to go through a distributor. Distributors refuses to deal with homeowners. Dealers only want to sell you a new furnace, or charge exorbitant prices for a warranty repair. Carrier - stay away!

Date created: 2013-02-07 Name: Matt
Location: Ny

"Who's installing this stuff"
I don't know how you guys find your contractors but as a 17 year carrier vet I can tell you most problems occur from poor insulation by unqualified tech or due to lack of Maintenance. Also considered that your old unit had no safety devices or switches so people who are having problems a lot of times it's due to duct work. I would never let sears install anything in my house and I wonder how many people did research on this site or Angie's list before deciding on a contractor remember cheaper isn't better.

Date created: 2013-01-24 Name: B.Hanasyk
Location: Edmonton,AB

"Monoxide"
So apparently Carrier had a ruling against them in 2007/2008 due to the use of inferior products that resulted air exchanger issues. Well I guess it does not work like a car recall as Carrier never bothered to notify us about the furnace we purchased in 2001 and fortunately our monitor went off or we could have died. It was so bad that we were told to leave the house until it could be repaired. I think it is pretty irresponsible even of a company not to notify customers when the consequences are so serious.

Date created: 2013-01-09 Name: Francis Becigneul
Location: Jeddo, Michigan

"This 2007 installed furnace is over rated"
Not only is this 2007 installed furnace over rated as far as output is concerned it is also near impossible to get parts for. I have been waiting 6 day in January in Michigan for a burner, which includes the ignitor unit. We have been without heat from this furnace which means we have been without hot domestic water as well. I will move into a cave before I rely on another Carier product.

Date created: 2012-12-28 Name: L. Hartfiel
Location: Minneapolis, MN

"RIPOFF - JUNK!"
We purchased a Carrier Weathermaker gas furnace in 2000 and have regretted it ever since. The furnace is a two-stage, high efficiency, variable blower model that constantly shuts off in the winter. We have to manually turn the switch on and off to get it to work. We live in the north so our winter temperatures can get down to -40. We have to make multiple service calls each winter. Calls to Carrier were a joke - they blamed the installation, the thermostat, and eventually said that they "make a great product" but didn't know what the problem was. The problem was faulty manufacturing that resulted in a general lawsuit from owners. Unfortunately, the payout was a pittance and nowhere near what is necessary to replace the unit. I wouldn't buy another Carrier if it was the only manufacturer out there! Save your money and get something else! Carrier doesn't stand behind its product!!!

Date created: 2012-12-28 Name: Carlos
Location: Apex, NC

"Terrible company, product and service!!!!"
Carrier is unethical. They "guarantee" their products for 5 years. Coincidentally, their stuff break one or two months after it expires. Now I have to pay $1,000 dollars to change the board. My guarantee expired last November and it breaks now. I guess this is how this company makes its money.

Date created: 2012-12-25 Name: mkinde
Location: Greendale, WI

"8-yr old furnace dies on Christmas"
Wow. Here I was trying to save money for the family during the holidays and I wake up Christmas morning to a Carrier furnace still under warranty that has stopped working. Now my options involve spending $400 on labor and hoping this beast survives a few more months or spending $3k on a new furnace. Nice job Carrier ... your products suck.