Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: P. Crowley

"Don't buy a Carrier"
I bought a Carrier Infinity 58MVC furnace in the winter of 2015 and it failed. It turned out that the secondary heat exchanger failed. I couldn't get a Carrier dealer to look at it so I had another HVAC dealer look at it and he determined the heat exchanger had to be replaced. We tried to get Carrier to help us but the local dealer was swamped and it would be several days before he could even look at it. I live in far northern Wisconsin and a week of severe sub-zero weather was due to hit within 24 hours. Since the best I could hope from Carrier was several days in the future I opted to replace the furnace with a different brand rather than risk freezing my water pipes which would almost certainly have happened. The dealer removed the heart exchanger and photographed the damage, which was severe. Also, the air intake pipe was burned through in 3 different places, one of which was outside the exterior of the furnace. There was no doubt in my mind that I was extremely lucky I didn't have a fire in my furnace room and I think there was a good chance that carbon monoxide was entering the building. I didn't have a carbon monoxide detector (I do now) so I can't be certain, however the tech said his equipment noted carbon monoxide in the furnace room. I made a claim to Carrier for the amount they would have had to pay if they had repaired the furnace, and even though I documented everything exactly, and they agreed that the heat exchanger was defective, and that I couldn't wait for a Carrier dealer to respond, they denied the claim because I put in a different furnace. I think they sold me a bad product and should have at least paid me the few dollars I asked for to help resolve the issue. I would never deal with Carrier again in any capacity.

Date created: 2015-02-27 Name: Sheryl j
Location: Tampa, FL

"Sick and tired"
We built a "green" house 2 years ago. This Carrier furnace and a/c came highly recommended from a home show representative. It is the absolute worst system! We have had nothing but problems! And every time something is wrong the serviceman cannot figure out the problem so they are at my house day after day, each tech saying something different. Problems have been the expansion valve restricting cooling, wires were loose, low on Freon, replaced the inverter, and the circuit board. We literally have someone here working on this thing every other month! We have spent $3,000 on it in 2 years. And it's only 2 years old!

Date created: 2015-02-17 Name: Darcy
Location: Barrie, ON

"Builder grade."
Well, this furnace made it just over 10 years. This is the third time is has broken down but even when it was running it did not heat my house that well. Turns out this will be the last time it breaks down as the heat exchanger has cracked, rendering it useless. After the breakdown and a little research, it turns out there was a class action lawsuit regarding the heat exchangers in these units. It was settled and Carrier found responsible but, of course, the deadline to file has passed. You would think a responsible company would issue some kind of warning, along with some type of credit towards a new Carrier, in order to possibly retain a customer. Due to this blatant "screwing" of their customers with no regard for their personal safety due to possible carbon monoxide leaks, never mind the obvious reasons for using cheaper materials/manufacturing methods, I personally will never buy another Carrier product. I realize that it is only a low end model, but a furnace in this day and age should have a lifespan of more than 10 years.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: Pissed off consumer

"To anyone who's thinking of buying a Carrier, don't."
Having to replace anything after less than five years is crazy. What happened to quality workmanship? If we don't buy these horrible units, they will have to shape up or ship out. They use plastic parts and still charge the big money and call their products quality. What the hell is going on! We are turning into a throw-away society, but they want to charge the big money and not make it last. We all have had the wool pulled over our eyes and companies like this are laughing at us while they count all the profits made off us. Let's put our foot down and show these big companies we govern whether they make or not.

Date created: 2014-11-25 Name: J. Johnston
Location: Toronto, Ontario

"Poor quality"
Moved into our new house 5 years ago and 'inherited' a Carrier furnace. The furnace is what is referred to as 'builder's grade', read cheap. At any rate, it looks like this 5-year-old furnace will need to be replaced in the near future. It seems that there is a problem with the venting motor. It will cost $1000 to replace and there is no guarantee that something else will not break. A new furnace costs roughly $3,000 to $4,000. Needless to say, I am less than impressed.

Date created: 2014-11-21 Name: Chris Smith
Location: Clifton, NJ

"Carrier/Bryant furnace is junk"
Spent three thousand dollars on a brand new furnace and it stopped working after using it a couple of times. The computer board failed twice and had to be replaced. The dealers did not have them in stock, so I had to wait for one to be shipped from Carrier. I went without heat and had to live in the cold for a week. Do not buy Carrier Bryant/Payne furnaces.

Date created: 2014-05-04 Name: jtully
Location: Princeton NJ

"Excellent performance"
1997 weathermaker 8000 - 1 minor repair in 17 years!

Date created: 2014-01-11 Name: T. Pirnat

"Fan Failure"
Hvac contractor installed June 27, 12. Fan motor in furnace failed Dec. 16, 2013. Replacement was covered but cost $200 for service, shipping, warranty management from contractor. Also, at original installation, they replaced the 5 year old Carrier outside heat pump that was failing as well. I have lost all confidence in Carrier products. My next HVAC purchase will not be Carrier.

Date created: 2013-11-28 Name: Liz Jones
Location: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

"So Disappointed"
We put a Carrier furnace in our home 11 years ago. It was touted as the best furnace available. So, we sucked it up and paid over $6,000 for it. We just had the motor replaced, $1200 with tax. After only 11 years and since talking about it have heard nothing positive about this brand. We will never buy a Carrier furnace again.

Date created: 2013-10-09 Name: Keith Jacober
Location: Centennial, CO

"Carrier WeatherMaker Furnace 8000 is Twelve Years Old"
Carrier WeatherMaker furnace 8000 is twelve years old. Induction motor, hot surface ignitor, and flame sensor have been replaced. Latest issue is something of a mystery. Furnace fires up normally for several minutes then shuts down. Furnace guy believes the problem to be either the gas valve or more likely, the computer board. He called local (Denver) tech but found him to be less than helpful. We called Carrier headquarters without any useful help, just a runaround to another tech center which shunted us into computer limbo. Led flashes code 34, a catch-all of numerous possibilities except an answer to the problem. Winter is impending here in Denver. My solution is a new furnace other than a Carrier or any of its sister brands. Good going guys.