Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2007-01-10 Name: M. Blazek
Location: Chicago, Illinois

My Carrier WeatherMaker gas furnace model 58SXA was installed in 1990 and started having problems after the first heating season (it wouldn't start) The installer replaced the ignitor. The following year, it became intermittant and got worse after 4 months. Even the service man that installed it could not find the problem. I started to trouble shoot it my self and after 15 minutes found a cold solder joint on the PCB that the high voltage wire terminates to. Three years later, the installer informed me the company that held my warrenty went bankrupt. A few years later, problems again. (would start and stop after 5 minutes) Turning the power on and off fixed it for 3 days and problem came back. A different serviceman replaced the thermostat, draft motor, draft control board and gave up when it stopped working the next day. When I asked for suggestions, he said I could replace the ignition lock out control board and if that didn't fix it, try replacing the piot burner, which I did and it works finally but the furnace has a loud vibration that can be heard throughout the house. Five year ago the the installer sent me a letter stating my furnace is approaching End of Life and they would give me good deal on a new furnace..... I would never buy a Carrier furnace again and I tell all my friends not to buy one.

Date created: 2006-12-02 Name: mike ratican
Location: grovertown, in.

Installed the Weather Maker new in 1994. Constant problems (hot surface ignition igniter, control board and voltage problems) starting in 2002. Very expensive and hard to find parts. 11/06, unit had to be replaced due to cracked heat exchanger, after only 12 years. The most overrated and expensive equipment out there.