Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2009-01-30 Name: Patrick O'Hara
Location: East Liverpool, Ohio

"58MVB is a piece of junk"
After a nightmare 6 years with a piece of garbage Goodman furnace I decided to get a top of the line furnace that (I thought) would take away my problems. the goodman was more reliable than this carrier. We had it installed just after Thanksgiving last year '07, it's the end of January '09. The furnace is 14 months old. We have had the repairman here 3 times to the tune of $250.00 in service repairs. The worst part is, I don't trust it. I am uncomfortable leaving the house for any extended period of time because I can't trust the furnace, it's too smart for its own good and shuts itself down. The first time, the filter needed changed and when the furnace wasn't getting enough airflow, it shuts down. I am pretty good about changing the filter, it was dirty and needed changed but it wasn't that bad. I have seen much worse. What if this happened on a Friday when it was bitter cold and we were out of town for the weekend. Pretty stupid thing to shut down a furnace and paying a $60.00 service call because I had a filter that needed changed is inexcusable. The stupid furnace shuts down and will not come back on until the technician resets it. The second time insulation from the inside of the furnace broke free and clogged the duct intake. Once again the furnace shut down, not to work again until it was reset (once the insulation was cleared). The third time (one week later) it shut down. It was 1/29/09, one of the coldest days of the year. We came home from work at 8:00 pm to a cold house. It had shut down for no apparent reason. The furnace blinks a code when there is a problem. It was blinking randomly with no pattern to it, so the code was unrecognizable. He just reset it and it has worked so far, but I have zero confidence in this piece of crap and don't trust it. I am soooo disapointed. I paid a lot more than I could have because I wanted a good reliable furnace. I paid a mint for a pig in a poke. I have a high class furnace that is unreliable and I do not trust it. I'm afraid to go anywhere if it's below 32. Do not buy this furnace, you will regret it. Frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do. I paid $3500.00 for this furnace and can't afford to get another so soon, but I can't live with this one either. I'm angry!

Date created: 2009-01-17 Name: Richard Forbes Smith
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Between a rock and a hard place"
In April of 1993 I had a high-efficiency Carrier 58sxc100 installed. It ran without problems until 18 months ago when it needed a new ignitor. Two days ago, it refused to heat the house more than 62-63 degrees. Today (Friday), the Carrier serviceman told me that the heat exchanger has ceased functioning and that the furnace (along with many other Carrier furnaces manufactured since 1998) was part of a class action suit. The warranty on the heat exchanger (covering parts and labor) has been extended to 20 years -- but he recommended replacing the entire furnace (for which Carrier which give me an as-yet-unknown credit) with a new Carrier. On Monday, I'll know the extent of the financial damage. But in the meantime, I'm left wondering why a supposedly first-class manufacturer like Carrier ever knowingly used sub-industry standard steel for the heat exchanger. And what unknown drawbacks there might be in a new Carrier.(Do I really want another one?)

Date created: 2008-12-17 Name: T. Andersen
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

"58MVP"
New it had a bad induced draft blower, not warranted because homeowner installed it, and why did the homeowner make the blower? Ignighter failed last year and now it's freezing up in the exhaust pipe with our cold temps.

Date created: 2008-12-09 Name: M. Reiche
Location: Mountain View, CA

"Ok except for the noise/vibration"
Fair amount of noise/vibration for about 30 seconds whenever it cycles on.

Date created: 2008-12-01 Name: J. Firszt
Location: Spring Grove, IL

"Love Carrier"
We've Sold/Installed Many brands over the years. Carrier, Trane, Goodman, Lennox, Comfortmaker. Carrier is absolutely the best in quality, efficiency, and Customer service and support. The Infinity is the best all around system on the market hands down. We'll never sell anything else.

Date created: 2008-11-19 Name: S. Zou
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Mr."
I bought Carrier Weathermaker 92% high efficiency furnace in 1995. It never gives me any problem throughout the year. Never has any part replaced and never has any service calls. By reviewing the comments of others, I just think how lucky I am to have this furnace serve me so well. I would not hesitate to buy aother one if I have to. A solid quality product.

Date created: 2008-11-05 Name: KDL
Location: Northern VA

"What is everyone talking about?"
I have had a Carrier furnace in three homes. I have never, ever had a lick of trouble with any. In 1985, I installed a Carrier furnace in my home in NW Florida. I had a Carrier Infinity furnace installed in my home in New Orleans and I just installed 2 Carrier Infinity Hybrid Heat systems in my 5500 sq foot Northern VA home. All have been extremely good products (although not cheap). In any case, I cannot say enough positively about the Carrier Infinity line of furnaces. They seem to be at the apex of the industry in quality and comfort.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: Mike Franklin Jr
Location: Yorkville, IL

"Carrier Money Pit"
Ever since our 2nd year of owning this brand new Carrier 58pav070.12 Series 160, we have had to sink money into it. Every winter something will go out. Replaced the Fan Motor after 4 years, Control board after 3 years, Igniter, Flame sensor, etc...

Date created: 2008-10-24 Name: D. Stack
Location: Greensboro, NC

"48gs carrier"
This unit has done well on the A/C part and with 8 years the heat inducter wheel had completely rusted off when we tried heat last week. Parts and labor was 455.00...repair man said he had replaced 9 last year and said it was a poor design. Had to replace panel and all...looks like they could use stainless for the blower wheel at least...outside of unit looks brand new

Date created: 2008-10-01 Name: HVAC Service Tech
Location: Seattle, WA

"HVAC Service Tech"
I've worked almost exclusively with these furnaces for almost 2 years. The heat exchanger problems are real in both the 80% and 90% furnaces. Most of the units will only require a new igniter after 5-10years and inducer failure in about 15 years. Easy to work on, parts are readily available. I would put one in my home. It's true that the installation matters. Some problems with the GE made ecm variable speed motors. As far as their Heatpumps go, they are pretty good. For some reason they route the vapor pressure sensor wire were it shorts to the chassis of the outdoor unit in about 1-2 years. It's been a problem for over a year and they still haven't fixed it. They need to use heavier insulation on their low voltage control wiring at the outdoor unit! Recently, they have been having q/c issues with their indoor coils having leaks, not sure what the root cause is.