Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2008-11-19 Name: S. Zou
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Mr."
I bought Carrier Weathermaker 92% high efficiency furnace in 1995. It never gives me any problem throughout the year. Never has any part replaced and never has any service calls. By reviewing the comments of others, I just think how lucky I am to have this furnace serve me so well. I would not hesitate to buy aother one if I have to. A solid quality product.

Date created: 2008-11-05 Name: KDL
Location: Northern VA

"What is everyone talking about?"
I have had a Carrier furnace in three homes. I have never, ever had a lick of trouble with any. In 1985, I installed a Carrier furnace in my home in NW Florida. I had a Carrier Infinity furnace installed in my home in New Orleans and I just installed 2 Carrier Infinity Hybrid Heat systems in my 5500 sq foot Northern VA home. All have been extremely good products (although not cheap). In any case, I cannot say enough positively about the Carrier Infinity line of furnaces. They seem to be at the apex of the industry in quality and comfort.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: Mike Franklin Jr
Location: Yorkville, IL

"Carrier Money Pit"
Ever since our 2nd year of owning this brand new Carrier 58pav070.12 Series 160, we have had to sink money into it. Every winter something will go out. Replaced the Fan Motor after 4 years, Control board after 3 years, Igniter, Flame sensor, etc...

Date created: 2008-10-24 Name: D. Stack
Location: Greensboro, NC

"48gs carrier"
This unit has done well on the A/C part and with 8 years the heat inducter wheel had completely rusted off when we tried heat last week. Parts and labor was 455.00...repair man said he had replaced 9 last year and said it was a poor design. Had to replace panel and all...looks like they could use stainless for the blower wheel at least...outside of unit looks brand new

Date created: 2008-10-01 Name: HVAC Service Tech
Location: Seattle, WA

"HVAC Service Tech"
I've worked almost exclusively with these furnaces for almost 2 years. The heat exchanger problems are real in both the 80% and 90% furnaces. Most of the units will only require a new igniter after 5-10years and inducer failure in about 15 years. Easy to work on, parts are readily available. I would put one in my home. It's true that the installation matters. Some problems with the GE made ecm variable speed motors. As far as their Heatpumps go, they are pretty good. For some reason they route the vapor pressure sensor wire were it shorts to the chassis of the outdoor unit in about 1-2 years. It's been a problem for over a year and they still haven't fixed it. They need to use heavier insulation on their low voltage control wiring at the outdoor unit! Recently, they have been having q/c issues with their indoor coils having leaks, not sure what the root cause is.

Date created: 2008-09-22 Name: Atlee Air
Location: Richmond, Va.

"President"
I have been installing carrier equipment for the last 4 years. I will not install any other brand if I can help it. Since then, customer satisfaction & comfort increased and call backs decreased. Sounds Like most of these unsatisfied people have more of a problem with a poor installation, not poor engineering. Maybe research the contractor not the product. If any brand equipment is not installed or retrofitted properly, it will not operate properly. Maybe there should have been modifications to the duct system, perhaps the technician follows a poor installation procedure. I stand behind Carriers strong product line.

Date created: 2008-09-19 Name: Lester Nelson
Location: Lacey, WA

"Unhappy"
I have only had this furnace for 6 years and it already has a crack in the heat exchanger, I keep the filters clean and have it checked once year. The local Carrier people who installed it told me that Carrier will give me the heat exchanger for free, I just have to pay the labor, $900. The tech told me that they are having a lot of problems with it. He sees the problem at least 3 times a week. I will never buy a Carrier again.

Date created: 2008-07-08 Name: P Smith
Location: Minneapolis, MN

"Carrier 58PAV"
The furnace performed well, until recently. We had an issue with our central air system, and had the entire system inspected. During the inspection it was determined that the heat exchanger is cracked and the blower was in need of replacement. The total repair cost was estimated to be in the neighborhood of $1,300. The service technician informed us that the cracked heat exchanger is a known issue with this furnace. Even if Carrier will cover the part under their warranty, it will still cost approximately $900-$1,000 to repair. We are very disappointed as we expected our furnace life to be 15-20 years. We will definitely go with another brand for our replacement!!

Date created: 2008-05-11 Name: Michael Owens

Let me first say this: I own my own business repairing appliances and such. Our original home was built in 1964, and when we sold the house in 1994, the original unit was working beautifully... could be still--never know! My current unit is a furnace/ac combo... it was installed in 2000. Last night, the blower motor went out. Besides the fact that this unit is very poorly designed as I have noticed after taking it apart, the blower motor ranges in retail price from $500 to $800! A standard universal blower can be purchased for around $100, and they are both made by General Electric... go figure! Also, like most everyone else, it has stated waking me up in the night when it comes on (sounds like a plane taking off). Also, I have a very tightly built brick home. Once, I kept my a/c no lower than 75' for the month, and my power bill was about 75.00. While I do like my house on an average temperature of about 70' summer and 67' winter, the yearly average for my power bill is around 300.00 monthly. To be more specific, my latest power bill (April-nice cool month was about 225.00. My most expensive one last year was nearly 400.00. During the winter months, my gas bill (and I cook with electric....when I cook) is usually around 200.00. This is a huge jump monetarily considering that my old house was big, very drafty, 65' all summer, 70' all winter, heated totally with electric, with an average power bill of 175.00 and gas bill of about 15.00 per month. My advice--STAY away!!

Date created: 2008-05-02 Name: Martin
Location: Belleville, Ont

I am also in the HVAC Business. Just like others have mentioned we put in so many Carrier comfort/performance/infinity furnaces I've lost count. They have been rock solid for us as well. Here in Canada we have long, long winters with temps dropping to -30c being the norm. The demand on any furnace is hugh. They have held up for us for the last 5 years. Remember a good installer can make a difference. And make sure your furnace is sized right for your house. Many inexperienced installers will just oversize your furnace to make sure you have enough heat. But oversized furnaces will have short little runs, which build moisture, overwork components and cause problems down the road. A right sized furnace will come on and work for a good length of time getting all the components hot and keep the furnace healthy.