Consumer Reviews of Carrier furnaces

Read more about Carrier furnaces

Date created: 2010-04-16 Name: Impala Guy
Location: Michigan

"Its 19 years old, and its getting replaced"
Purchased in the fall of 1991 and has survived nineteen Michigan winters. Two service calls in all of that time does not seem too bad to me. Now that spring has arrived, I will be getting a new unit (the installers are not so rushed this time of the year). I am comparing the Carrier and Bryant units and have several professional companies here in Grand Rapids that are more than capable of good installations. I just know there are more efficient units out there than the one I have---well done, Carrier.

Date created: 2010-01-30 Name: Awake

"Neighbour's Carrier Heat Pump Too Loud"
Our neighbors just got a Carrier heat pump a few months ago and installed it outside our bedroom window. It wakes us up every time it turns on. It is louder than a diesel truck parked in our driveway. The Carrier repair guy just made excuses, but didn't do a thing. Thanks a lot for making this piece of junk, Carrier.

Date created: 2010-01-29 Name: James Gaulke

"Furnace Installer, Dan Oberdorf, Wisc Dells, WI"
We built a new home and he installed a Payne furnace which we were told is part of your company. We had the blue prints on site the whole time and still he put the furnace in the place where our future bathroom is going. Pipes were already stubbed in so there was no reason to put the furnace where he did. When we called him to point out the problem, he got irate with us and was going to refuse to move it. He finally did move it but it ended up costing us another $500.00. We feel that we should not have to pay for his mistake. The furnace started making all kinds of funny noise. The body of the furnace was not put together correctly or leveled right and the air intake plug wasn't put in. The corners of the galvanize housing was missing. Air was leaking out when the fan kicked in. There was a whistling noise. We also found out that it is a contractor grade and not a residential unit. The furnace is again making funny noises, vibrates and rattles. We are afraid that this could eventually cause a gas leak. We were told that only a licensed Carrier service person can work on this unit to keep the warranty. We do not want this man back in our home. Please let us know if there is someone else in our area. If we would have to do this over, we would be very reluctant to buy your furnace.

Date created: 2010-01-23 Name: Steve Baldwin
Location: Michigan

"Carrier built Bryant furnace"
Original furnace in our house built in 85 is going strong, and is a Bryant built furnace 100000btu unit. We have the gas company maintenance plan on it the last few years due to the age, and the only thing that has gone wrong with it was the gas control valve recently. Although, the neutral gas company repairman stated that the heat exchanger is on its last legs as not cracked yet but will not be long. Am thinking about replacing it with a new high efficiency carrier, but with all the issues and different suggestions from different dealers, I think I will stay away from Carrier for the new furnace. Some of their dealers say they can install in our home and others say it won't work have to stay with 80% efficiency. Can anyone suggest a good brand to buy today that will not have all these issues? Thanks, Troy, Michigan resident

Date created: 2010-01-19 Name: Annoyed

"CARRIER"
So we are now getting rid of our 2nd Carrier furnace in 9 months!!!! Are you kidding me?????? Now that we are having to get yet another furnace today - it will not be Carrier!!!!!

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: E. McDaniel

"Unit repaired repeatedly over the last few months"
I have a Carrier unit that was installed in 2003. The unit was doing fine until this past summer. First, I had to replace the compressor, which was fortunately under warranty, although labor and freon was not! Then, a couple of months ago, the combustion motor went out. I waited for a month on a waiting list for the part to come in! Then within a couple of days of putting the new motor in, the capacitor switch went bad. Now, a week ago, the new motor I put in died!!! Not only is the unit faulty, but so are the parts that Carrier is selling. (In case you are wondering, my HVAC is very knowledgeable and very honest, so he is not causing the problem.) Now, when my HVAC guy put the another new motor in, the little blinking code light says that the board has gone bad!!!! We are using some electrical tape to hold wires together until I have enough money to replace the board. Carrier is about to get a nasty letter from me! (My HVAC guy says he wants to write a nasty letter too!)

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: Ben Guenther

"Don't buy a Carrier furnace"
We thought we were buying a quality furnace but our Carrier furnace has been nothing but grief. About once every week, the furnace does not light and shuts itself down for 3 hours. We have to reset the breaker to get it to light. Many service calls and parts replaced have not fixed the problem.

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: A. Belisle

"Carrier 58MXA080-12 furnace condensate"
Installed Oct. 2000, then regular maintenance. No problems until Oct. 2009, when led blink code 31 (3 short, 1 long) appeared after the inducer motor came on, but we got no heat. This happened during cold, rainy weather. After two service calls, problem was traced to a clogged condensate drain ("j trap") and leaves on screen in the intake pipe causing furnace to intermittently go off and on on code 31. Clearing out the drain and removing the leaves fully fixed the problem.

Date created: 2009-12-10 Name: Tom Muggeo
Location: CT

"Carrier Reliability"
I am an Engineer for a mechanical contractor in ct. I felt compelled to comment on some of the reviews I have read here. In most of the reviews, if you read between the lines, poor workmanship and installation practices cause a lot of problems with all brands of equipment today. Noisey systems (ductwork), Ignition problems (gas pressure and venting), frozen condensate lines (draining outside in cold climates), circuit boards (faulty wiring installations) are typical issues in the trade today. The contractor you chose is most important followed by the equipment. If the price is your first concern, you will probably be writing a bad review here also!

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: Bdolven

"Carrier not honoring its own class action settlement"
We've had the same experience with this Carrier class action suit. Carrier confirmed in an email that our furnace bought in 1989 qualified for a settlement that Carrier entered into based on its faulty heat exchangers. Meanwhile, our furnace has stopped working in 32 degree weather, due to the heat exchanger malfunctioning in the cold, and we've had no heat now for a week. Carrier will not get back to us and we cannot get in writing what the terms of the settlement really are. On the phone, Carrier has told us we would qualify under the settlement for about $1800 towards a purchase of a new Carrier furnace - but, orally, they say only if it's a Carrier, not any other brand. An email from them just says "purchase of a new unit" but does not specify that it must be a Carrier. They seem unwilling to give us terms of the settlement in writing. They also appear to be deceptive and seem not to be complying with the terms of the settlement, especially as they won't provide it to us in writing. The long and short of it is, our secondary heat exchanger has also malfunctioned. We are supposed to be covered by this settlement, and they simply are not honoring the terms of the class action settlement that they entered into, from my experience. If anyone knows how to make them comply with their own settlement, please email us at [email protected]