Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2016-12-25 Name: Martin N.
Location: Toronto, ON

"Very noisy, totally unacceptable"
I wish I had checked a few furnace review sites before purchasing a new Carrier furnace. I had to replace my 25-year old Carrier 58sxa furnace, which served me well all those years, until just recently. I went to a reliable dealer, Husky Heating and Air-Conditioning in the greater Toronto area. They installed a new Carrier, Performance series, model number 59tp6a. The installation went well, the installer, George, did an excellent job. Within hours I have noticed how much louder this new furnace is compared to the old one. With fan set to Auto, the fan does not come on until the thermostat gives it a command to get things going, so to speak. The fan goes through three different levels of speed, each one being louder than the level before. At its highest speed, the fan and burners are so loud, it's like being at an airport. The noise is simply too loud. When the furnace shuts down, the house becomes eerily quiet. I called Husky about the noise, they sent George over. He checked everything out and apparently it all works as designed. I do not doubt George, he knows his job. I blame Carrier for making such a noisy monster. To be fair, the furnace works well. I just wish it weren't so noisy. Every time it comes on, it wakes me up. What I have to do now is turn the set-back down so low, that the furnace does not come on at all at night, not until the morning. I am using a second duvet on my bed to keep me warm. After I have discovered this problem with noise, I went on Carrier website, product page, to write my review of the furnace. There are about 20 reviews altogether, all glowing about this particular furnace. I wrote a negative review - do you think it made its way into the review pages? Certainly not. They don't like any negativity. Next summer I am planning on installing a new air-conditioner. I know one thing for sure - it won't be a Carrier product.

Date created: 2016-12-06 Name: Mr. D
Location: USA

"Really Bad News From The Start"
I purchased a brand new Carrier Furnace and AC system about 5 years ago to replace a 50 year old Climatrol unit that never caused any problems at all. The first year the ac never cooled the house. After a year and repeated service visits they found a leak in the outside cooling unit and had to replace it entirely. Two years later the electric air pump motor for the furnace went bad and they had to replace an $850 unitized component to fix it. Now they are back pulling the entire guts out of the furnace to replace another unitized component because the secondary burners went bad. I'm told this unit is well over $1,000. If the P-trap is not drained at least every 6 to 12 months the entire blower assembly fills up with water which I'm told can back up into some of the electrical switches. If this isn't the poorest designed, poorest manufactured furnace/AC unit, I don't know what would be.

Date created: 2016-10-26 Name: Brian Dover
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

"Exceeds my expectations"
Love the fact that it is so quiet compared to the single stage it replaces. The heat is more even throughout the house. The savings in gas and electricity are real and an added benefit. Would absolutely buy again. My contractor was Francis Fuels, who did an exemplary install.

Date created: 2016-06-21 Name: H Pellegrin
Location: Arlington, TN

"System failed at 8-year mark"
We have 3 Carrier furnaces in a home we built 8 years ago. Specifically instructed the builder to use Carrier to support the local company. We regret that decision. We've had problems with all 3. The worst problem occurred at the 8-year mark in the listed model. The blower motor went bad, which in turn destroyed the master board. >$3,000 replacement costs. Not under warranty, no assistance or consideration from Carrier. Last time I will ever use a Carrier product.

Date created: 2016-02-24 Name: Steve Sarkis
Location: Silver Spring, MD

"Super hot exhaust"
I purchased this unit in 2010 .Ever since, the exhaust temperature (in the flue) at 12 inches above unit, was too high. A Carrier repair dealer came three times, took all kinds of measurements (amps,volts, temps ,pressures etc). The exhaust temperature in the flue was 370 degrees(the double wall flue was too hot to the touch). The tech replaced the draft inducer, still too hot. Today, after another visit,the tech said this is normal. Is it really? I called Carrier to confirm. Believe it or not, Carrier did not have a service rep to confirm and did not have a spec sheet available. The Carrier rep sent me back to the original dealer. I bought Carrier thinking that is the top brand. It is not. And follow up service and assistance is below any level. Don't ever buy it.

Date created: 2016-02-22 Name: H. Chow
Location: Markham, Ontario, Canada

"Not reliable furnace"
Furnace less than 2 years old and problems already surfaced. Lots of problems in the third year, including pressure switch malfunctioning and the motor flooding with water. Couldn't stand severe cold weather in Toronto. Service team slow to respond. Be aware furnace may stop working in severe cold weather and would cause you lots of money and time to fix. They don't have a good reputation.

Date created: 2016-01-21 Name: B. Halliday
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"Dead after 5.5 years"
Installed in May 2010. Serviced regularly. On Dec 22, 2015 it passed a service check. On January 17, 2015 the furnace quit. CO monitors in house went off. Diagnosed as a failed secondary heat exchanger. Carrier offered a secondary heat exchanger at no cost but $1000 labour to install. The replacement heat exchanger would not be warranted. They tried to sell me another new Carrier furnace. I note that there have been class action lawsuits in British Columbia on and some US states that have resulted in Carrier paying the $1000 labour. Not so in Alberta. The installer said that there is rampant failure of the secondary heat exchanger in Carrier furnaces at around the 5 year mark. They are busy with calls. There has been one fire. When our furnace failed the exterior of the unit burned my fingers when I touched it. Buyer beware of Carrier! I replaced he Carrier with a Goodman that has a warranty that includes total unit replacement.

Date created: 2016-01-08 Name: D Amyotte
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

"Not a happy camper"
After 2 years the trouble began. I spent over 2 thousand in the 9 years that I had this unit. It crapped out again, both exchangers went. This was the last straw for me. Do these outfits think we're rich? I cannot afford the product that they sell. It's garbage.

Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: Davenport,ia

"Reliable furnace"
I have owned a Carrier furnace for about 15 years. It was purchased new with the house when I moved in. It has been a great furnace and very reliable. I have only had to change the filters and have not had to make any major repairs other than replacing a converter on the AC unit compressor outside which really isn't part of the furnace. I recently had the furnace inspected and the technician said it is running like new. It is also very efficient and I rarely have a heating bill over $150 in the winter. I would recommend this furnace to anyone in the market to purchase one.

Date created: 2015-12-17 Name: S. Chu
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"Carrier does not last to expectation"
I have had the unit for only 7 years and the secondary heat exchanger perforated and I have to replace the entire furnace.