Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2016-02-24 Name: Steve Sarkis
Location: Silver Spring, MD

"Super hot exhaust"
I purchased this unit in 2010 .Ever since, the exhaust temperature (in the flue) at 12 inches above unit, was too high. A Carrier repair dealer came three times, took all kinds of measurements (amps,volts, temps ,pressures etc). The exhaust temperature in the flue was 370 degrees(the double wall flue was too hot to the touch). The tech replaced the draft inducer, still too hot. Today, after another visit,the tech said this is normal. Is it really? I called Carrier to confirm. Believe it or not, Carrier did not have a service rep to confirm and did not have a spec sheet available. The Carrier rep sent me back to the original dealer. I bought Carrier thinking that is the top brand. It is not. And follow up service and assistance is below any level. Don't ever buy it.

Date created: 2016-02-22 Name: H. Chow
Location: Markham, Ontario, Canada

"Not reliable furnace"
Furnace less than 2 years old and problems already surfaced. Lots of problems in the third year, including pressure switch malfunctioning and the motor flooding with water. Couldn't stand severe cold weather in Toronto. Service team slow to respond. Be aware furnace may stop working in severe cold weather and would cause you lots of money and time to fix. They don't have a good reputation.

Date created: 2016-01-21 Name: B. Halliday
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"Dead after 5.5 years"
Installed in May 2010. Serviced regularly. On Dec 22, 2015 it passed a service check. On January 17, 2015 the furnace quit. CO monitors in house went off. Diagnosed as a failed secondary heat exchanger. Carrier offered a secondary heat exchanger at no cost but $1000 labour to install. The replacement heat exchanger would not be warranted. They tried to sell me another new Carrier furnace. I note that there have been class action lawsuits in British Columbia on and some US states that have resulted in Carrier paying the $1000 labour. Not so in Alberta. The installer said that there is rampant failure of the secondary heat exchanger in Carrier furnaces at around the 5 year mark. They are busy with calls. There has been one fire. When our furnace failed the exterior of the unit burned my fingers when I touched it. Buyer beware of Carrier! I replaced he Carrier with a Goodman that has a warranty that includes total unit replacement.

Date created: 2016-01-08 Name: D Amyotte
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

"Not a happy camper"
After 2 years the trouble began. I spent over 2 thousand in the 9 years that I had this unit. It crapped out again, both exchangers went. This was the last straw for me. Do these outfits think we're rich? I cannot afford the product that they sell. It's garbage.

Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: Davenport,ia

"Reliable furnace"
I have owned a Carrier furnace for about 15 years. It was purchased new with the house when I moved in. It has been a great furnace and very reliable. I have only had to change the filters and have not had to make any major repairs other than replacing a converter on the AC unit compressor outside which really isn't part of the furnace. I recently had the furnace inspected and the technician said it is running like new. It is also very efficient and I rarely have a heating bill over $150 in the winter. I would recommend this furnace to anyone in the market to purchase one.

Date created: 2015-12-17 Name: S. Chu
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"Carrier does not last to expectation"
I have had the unit for only 7 years and the secondary heat exchanger perforated and I have to replace the entire furnace.

Date created: 2015-11-04 Name: A JAUERNIGG
Location: Cedar, MN

"Reliable/dependable"
Installed furnace in 1991 and aside from my own lack of service and maintenance (change filters, blow out and oil inducer motor, clean out drain reservoir, never even seen or touched the flame sensor) it performed flawlessly. Finally, after 24 years, it is time to replace it. Just getting old and corrosion set in and in my opinion living in Minnesota where it gets pretty cold for extended periods of time it is not worth dealing with any issues that may arise at the most in opportune time with a unit of this age. Bummer to replace a unit that still works and quite possibly would for some time. A furnace is a machine just like anything else and sometimes you get a good one, sometimes a bad one, just like anything else. Those of you with less than somewhat satisfied ratings may possibly take a good look at the qualifications of the people diagnosing and servicing the systems. Any brand will have issues. Rest well SX 60. Yes I will replace my unit with a Carrier-built unit.

Date created: 2015-09-28 Location: Coffeyville, KS

"review of home furnace"
My furnace was in my house when I bought the house, so I didn't purchase it myself. I have lived here for ten years and haven't had any major problems. I like that the most. I have had to have it serviced once and it was my fault for not caring for it properly. I wasn't changing out the filters, as far as I can remember. It was fairly soon after I moved in. I don't know if it's as efficient as the last one I had, because the house is larger and has more windows so it seems like it works a little harder. The filters are a little harder to change because of where it's located and I have to special order them as I live in a small town. Or I can get two filters to replace the one, but that is even more difficult to do. I would definitely recommend this brand to anyone who was looking for a new furnace.

Date created: 2015-06-23 Location: Detroit, MI

"I own a 1 year old furnace, we just had it installed last spring."
Furnace works great! It keeps my energy bills down and is smaller than my previous furnace, so it also saves room. I'd definitely recommend this furnace to a friend.

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: P. Crowley

"Don't buy a Carrier"
I bought a Carrier Infinity 58MVC furnace in the winter of 2015 and it failed. It turned out that the secondary heat exchanger failed. I couldn't get a Carrier dealer to look at it so I had another HVAC dealer look at it and he determined the heat exchanger had to be replaced. We tried to get Carrier to help us but the local dealer was swamped and it would be several days before he could even look at it. I live in far northern Wisconsin and a week of severe sub-zero weather was due to hit within 24 hours. Since the best I could hope from Carrier was several days in the future I opted to replace the furnace with a different brand rather than risk freezing my water pipes which would almost certainly have happened. The dealer removed the heart exchanger and photographed the damage, which was severe. Also, the air intake pipe was burned through in 3 different places, one of which was outside the exterior of the furnace. There was no doubt in my mind that I was extremely lucky I didn't have a fire in my furnace room and I think there was a good chance that carbon monoxide was entering the building. I didn't have a carbon monoxide detector (I do now) so I can't be certain, however the tech said his equipment noted carbon monoxide in the furnace room. I made a claim to Carrier for the amount they would have had to pay if they had repaired the furnace, and even though I documented everything exactly, and they agreed that the heat exchanger was defective, and that I couldn't wait for a Carrier dealer to respond, they denied the claim because I put in a different furnace. I think they sold me a bad product and should have at least paid me the few dollars I asked for to help resolve the issue. I would never deal with Carrier again in any capacity.