Consumer Reviews of BURNHAM furnaces

Read more about BURNHAM furnaces

Date created: 2015-12-03 Name: Rudolph Houck
Location: Mount Kisco, NY

"What a joke"
I replaced our 20 year old McLean at the oil company's suggestion with a US Boiler. It lasted about 6-7 years. At some cost to myself I replaced the heat exchanger with another US Boiler. It gave out in less than 40 months (for a total life of the two of under ten years). I twice gave US Boiler a chance to make good on its warranty and it refused. I am preparing a suit for small claims court. This is outrageous. I also note that the people who have owned theirs for a year or two are all very satisfied. The ratings should be weighted for length of time with the product.

Date created: 2015-09-24 Location: Northport, NY

"Burnham is a Great Brand"
I just checked the service record on this furnace and it dates back to 1982 - it is 33 years old as of 2015! We have lived in this home for twelve years and aside from having the ignition switch repaired a couple of times, it has always been reliable and heats the home well. Our house is large with three floors and a vaulted ceiling, and I can get the place nice and toasty just by putting the thermostat at 72 degrees. There is nothing that I dislike about the furnace, except for its clunky appearance and the dust & cobwebs that accumulate on it, but that would be my fault. We have a service contract and have it looked at annually so it always runs efficiently. I would definitely get the same brand again and would refer this type of furnace to anyone who was in the market for one.

Date created: 2015-09-03 Name: Don
Location: Wallkill, NY

"Don't ever buy Burnham products"
Furnace lasted 5 years 1 month. Leaks from a crack in the casting. Only fix for this is a new furnace since the guarantee was 5 years. They said I would have to ship it to the manufacturer (my cost) and they would determine if they will cover it. Just read the comments here, they have known these were defective for years. Do not buy anything from them.

Date created: 2015-01-20 Name: Marion E Frost
Location: Baltimore, MD

"Joining the Burnham Leaker Club"
I replaced a long-service Columbia oil furnace about 13 years ago with a Burnham furnace. I thought I was buying top-of-the-line. My Burnham unit is now leaking profusely from the cast iron core, and my technician says it is kaputsky. I was shocked with the news, but the shock has turned into plain old anger. As a young man, I was around the trades, and always heard my HVAC friends tell me that Burnham heating units were bottom-grade. Naturally, when my furnace contractor told me 13 years ago he was installing a Burnham unit, I challenged his sanity. He assured me that Burnham made good equipment and I should have no concern. Yeah...right!

Date created: 2014-09-17 Name: Mike Ferrigno
Location: Ashaway, RI

"V73 Perfect after 16 years"
When I built my house in 1998, I installed a Burnham V73, 105 MBH furnace set up with a hydro air system. I bought it at a trade show along with two friends, who also bought one each. Mine went into a heated basement. Both of the others went into old houses. The other two began leaking within 5 years and at almost the same time. The others were in cold basements. Mine has yet to spring a leak or cause a problem of any kind. I've gone 3 or more years without servicing at times. Last service was 2 years ago (service man is coming). My friend who installs boilers thinks my good luck is due to the furnace being my only source of hot water. It never cools off, so there's no expansion and contraction. He thinks (he's never seen it) it could be on low fire also. I check for leaks every time I'm in the basement; so far, so good.

Date created: 2014-06-09 Name: DAVID GLADSTONE
Location: BOSTON MA

"Poor design"
Looks like poor fabrication as my furnace is losing water only after 14 years. I complained on facebook and they blocked me from making comments. Stay away from Burnham: many problems, poor customer service and they block you if they don't like what you say (other than that they are a marvelous company). DG

Date created: 2014-06-05 Name: Ralph
Location: medfield, ma

"Furnace leaking"
We have a 16-year old Burnham furnace and the cast iron just cracked. It is now leaking badly all over the basement floor. We were told Burnham will only sell us a new unit at cost and we would be responsible for all labor to install. They are apparently well informed about this product defect...

Date created: 2014-03-01 Name: Grover Boone Sr. & Mina Boone
Location: Connecticut

"Need information to start a class action lawsuit"
3/1/2014 We purchased a Burnham furnace about 10 years ago and recently experienced a crack in water leak. We immediately contact Burnham Furnace which is out of Lancaster, PA. to request a placement. Unfortunatley, we had to pay the $2,600 labor fee which is so unfair especially since we had to spend a couple of thousands to use alternative heating which was oil. We were told that they do not cover the labor which was completed by a local heating company in Connecticut. I would never use another Burnham furnace product or recommend the product to anyone. Does anyone know how I can become a part of a class action lawsuit to recover my experiences? If so, please email me at the address indicated on this review.

Date created: 2013-11-09 Name: Jay
Location: Brockton, Ma

"Worst Oil Burner"
This unit that was installed in my house was built in 2003. It was installed about 2005, it lasted me less than 8 years. When we took the top off to clean, it was all rusted and no good. We had to replace it. I will never use Burnham again. I suggest everybody to boycott their furnaces as they are no good. The insurance company would not reimburse me as they said, it was due to wear and tear. It's used for approximately 7 months in the year. If I had bought a car, it would have lasted longer than this furnace. It is made with cheap material and it is no good.

Date created: 2013-02-05 Name: Lou Gabriel
Location: Housatonic MA

"Cracked Block/Leaky Furnace"
My furnace leaks water through the cracked block. It is 12 years old. The installer called me to see if there was water around the furnace because they were getting complaints of cracked blocks. Wasn't leaking then but is now. The company does not stand behind their product and wants to sell me a new block or a new furnace when they knew the problem existed from the start. They will give me $600 off a new furnace. Who is their right mind would buy another one of their products when they don't stand behind their products in the first place.