Consumer Reviews of Armstrong Air furnaces

Read more about Armstrong Air furnaces

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Craig Rawley

"I am a HVAC contractor/engineer"
I just found this website and read all of the reviews on the product my company primarly installs. I was shocked on so many of the problems briefly described appeared to be installer error, or installer charging way too much money on a repair. For instance, the furnace doesn't heat the house, probably isn't the furnaces fault. It's either undersized, or there is an issue with the duct work. All newer furnaces have a flame sensor which should be replaced or cleaned every few years. Do your homework people. I would imagine, you would be able to find out the prices of almost all of the parts, or at least list price. I have been installing Armstrong/Concord for the past 15 years, with a fantastic success rate. Each of the problems listed should be able to be resolved by a qualified service technician. All furnaces operate in a similar fashion in order to achieve the efficiencies. However, all of the parts should be available thru the distributor. Don't be afraid of getting a second opinion if you think someone is taking advantage of your wallet.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Eric Pawelkowski

"Armstrongs don't break down!!"
I had a Armsrong ultra v 91% efficient furnace installed in a new constructed home 9 years ago. I have not had the unit serviced yet. There are 4 other Armstrongs in the neighborhood, as far as I know of, and they have not had any problems either. I see the technicians in and out of the neighborhood often. I couldn't be happier with this furnace, quite, dependable and relatively inexpensive to operate, as far as natural gas goes (up&up).

Date created: 2010-05-18 Name: Leonard

"Review"
In my experience, the installer is almost every thing. If any furnace is not installed correct you will have problems. We have installed furnaces for 30 plus years and have had the best luck with Armstrong. Installation is everything. We are Lennox dealers but no longer install Lennox because of warranty issues. Lennox is just too arrogant and any warranty is impossible to get.

Date created: 2010-05-18 Name: Brian

"Why do you blame the product"
Things can go wrong with anything but with all the reviews I read, It comes down to the service tech or the installer. Water leaking in the summer is either not level or piping (condensate) not done properly- Other one with no air flow well can't say but if it was sized properly how can they not have air flow when the new furnace should have 30% more air flow - if it is a problem with the blower then the tech should have found that problem in the set up by temp rise and if that is ok did the duct work get disconnected. I have been installing these furnaces since they came here (I wrote a review here few years ago) and I still feel the same. It is the best furnace made (the 95%) and it is not a Lennox furnace. Lennox still doesn't ss exchanger but they will soon I guess - People take more time picking your installer and go with what he knows.

Date created: 2010-04-16 Name: Kim K.

"Piece of junk and very unreliable"
I've had my Armstrong Air Ultra 5 Advantage 80 for 4.5 years, and since owning it, we have had to call a repair company every single year because it stops working. The tiny coil near the ignitor needs constant cleaning or the furnace will shut off and continually try and ignite again and again and again with no success. And wouldn't you know it, it just gave out on us again yesterday and they had to order a $269 part for us. And of course, the dealer that sold it to us and installed it is out of business!

Date created: 2010-03-28 Name: R. Hooper

"Robert"
This furnace has run for 32 years without any problems whatsoever. We couldn't ask for a better performance. We are now replacing it with an Armstrong (AirEase) central air and a new 95% efficiency furnace. I hope for similar performance from the new equipment. Iím not sure that it is possible.

Date created: 2010-01-24 Name: Stephanie

"Armstrong Air Ultra V G1N80BT"
This furnace has proven somewhat unreliable. In the five years I've owned it, I've had to have the control board and flame sensor replaced. Seems like a lot of parts to be replacing on a fairly new unit that I have inspected and maintained yearly. When it works, it's great, but I really don't like the phrase "when it works" in regards to my furnace. Don't purchase unless you are mechanically inclined or know someone who is.

Date created: 2010-01-21 Name: John Walso

"Mr. Boxer"
I have had an Armstrong furnace now for 3 years and it has been one of my best investments I have ever made. For the first 2 years, my wife always commented that it's so much more comfortable and I know I should get my furnace serviced but has given me no problems. The furnace had a 10 year parts and labor warranty which gives my family and I piece of mind. I have and would recommend Armstrong to anyone.

Date created: 2010-01-14 Name: Steve

"Steve"
This furnace is the biggest piece of junk ever made. What can I say about Armstrong Air? I'm a victim of American made. Unit has failed twice in two years. It either fails to start at all or works sporadically at best. I sure wish the Japanese companies made furnaces.... Toyota, Honda, etc. Until then, I guess we're stuck with domestic junk.

Date created: 2010-01-08 Name: Chris B.

"Poor quality - expensive repairs - don't buy"
We had this furnace installed 9 years ago (bought it because we were told it was manufactured by the Lennox people) and just got a bill for $700 in repairs because the furnace quit working. The gas valve (it's called a "smart valve" but my repair guy called it the "dumb valve") was defective, but there is no way to test it so the repairman didn't know if it was the problem initially. He tried some less expensive fixes first (new ignitor) but when that didn't work he concluded it must be the valve (the valve alone cost $300, not including labor). I expect a new furnace to work a lot longer than 9 years. We installed this one to replace a 40-year-old Lennox that was working fine, but wasn't very efficient. We thought it would save us money over time, but any savings we've had have probably been eaten up by the repair costs. Not happy at all - would never buy this crappy brand again.